Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

License Plate Problem - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 07:27 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License Plate Problem - HELP!

Received my real tag (to replace 30 day tag) in the mail today.

When I swapped them out, the mounting screws would not seat all the way leaving the license place loose. Tried taking the plate back off and one of the screws will not come out!

I'm so pissed I can't see straight! I've done everything I can think of, including bending my new plate so I could get to the little access hole next to the faulty screw. As close as I can figure the mounting bracket is stripped. The screw will neither go in further or come back out. It will turn either way, but a noticeable "notch" type feel can be felt while turning and occurs 3 or 4 times per full rotation of the screw.

Any ideas on how I can get the plate back off so I can replace the mounting brackets and mount the plate properly?
Old 11-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Old Skooler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I can think of is to take a small flathead screwdriver and put it behind the head of the screw and use it as a lever to apply pressure towards you, while turning the screw with another screwdriver to remove it. Don't apply too much pressure, but enough to help it "catch" the threads and hopefully it'll come out.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Subw00er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a pair of vice grips and pull like hell while turning counterclockwise. If you are talking aboutthe front plate, there are metal slipnut things that can be easily replaced - ok if yours are shot.
Old 11-23-2002, 09:15 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, Matt... already tried that, tho. I've run out of reasonable options. Probably will take it to the dealer this week to see what they can do. Who would of thought you'd need a Nissan tech to change a license plate...