Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is black really that hard to keep clean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:36 PM
n8236

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have a garage and park on a relatively big street, yes. But w/o garage, rain and crap will dirty it quick. So, no garage = no black.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:09 AM
thndrgd

you do need to be careful. That porter cable is an orbital buffer. Because of the motion of the pad, it takes a lot of the risk out of ruining your paint. I was a little nervous when I first started, but everything went smoothly. Just set aside a day, and take your time. You'll be fine. Make sure you put at least one coat of wax on after the swirl remover is worked into your clear coat. The swirl remover removes all the layers of protectant (wax, glaze etc.) off your paint. So, if you don't add glaze and/or wax, you leave your paint open to harm.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:54 AM
boma

Just Get Black.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Superhung

I have to wash my Z once a week or it looks like it went through a sandstorm.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:09 AM
The Black Z

Originally Posted by thndrgd
you do need to be careful. That porter cable is an orbital buffer. Because of the motion of the pad, it takes a lot of the risk out of ruining your paint. I was a little nervous when I first started, but everything went smoothly. Just set aside a day, and take your time. You'll be fine. Make sure you put at least one coat of wax on after the swirl remover is worked into your clear coat. The swirl remover removes all the layers of protectant (wax, glaze etc.) off your paint. So, if you don't add glaze and/or wax, you leave your paint open to harm.
basically go smoothy and then put on wax after the swirl remover or else its open to anything, basically like if you take the clothes off your girl and have her walk around naked outside right??

which pads did you use to put swirl remover on and off? and about how long did it take to do?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Timmy_boy188

I have black but I dont worrie too much about it getting dirty as much as how hot it gets when its black vs, well any other color, I live in Phoenix AZ and you definitly have to take that into consideration when you live here, but ive wanted a black car since I could drive and finally I got this one so I love it, black all the way, very stealth like...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:13 AM
thndrgd

Originally Posted by The Black Z
basically go smoothy and then put on wax after the swirl remover or else its open to anything, basically like if you take the clothes off your girl and have her walk around naked outside right??

which pads did you use to put swirl remover on and off? and about how long did it take to do?
I like the metaphor...that's perfect! I used the white pads for the swirl and the black pads for the glaze and wax. Do NOT mix different products on one pad. Buy enough so that you have one for each (one for swirl, one for wax and one for glaze). Over the course of a two days it took me around 18 hours, but it doesn't have to take that long. On the first couple areas, I made the mistake of putting too much swirl remover on the surface so it took longer to work in. It's definitely a project, so make sure you have some time on your hands.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:55 AM
The Black Z

alright how much swirl remover did you appyl to pad? and let me get this perfect b4 I buy anything so I know what I'm doing...

(If I do what you did on your black z) I use a white pad for swirl remover, then I apply wax with the black pad and then also use another black pad for glaze, and do not mix pads?

And I should follow those directions on one of the links on this site about the porter cable?

And its really hard to mess paint up? I'm just worried to to mess my sexy paint up

and the swirl remover makes car dangerous to drive because nothing on it and takes swirls and such out, and wax makes it look all sexy,and glaze keeps it looking good?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:57 AM
thndrgd

alright how much swirl remover did you appyl to pad? and let me get this perfect b4 I buy anything so I know what I'm doing...

(If I do what you did on your black z) I use a white pad for swirl remover, then I apply wax with the black pad and then also use another black pad for glaze, and do not mix pads?

And I should follow those directions on one of the links on this site about the porter cable?

And its really hard to mess paint up? I'm just worried to to mess my sexy paint up

and the swirl remover makes car dangerous to drive because nothing on it and takes swirls and such out, and wax makes it look all sexy,and glaze keeps it looking good?
You got it. I would put a good amount on the pad the first time to get the product soaked in. Keep in mind the more you use, the harder you will have to work to get it off. The product should start to dry as your working it in. Spin the pad while you squeezing the product onto it so you get an even amount all the way around. Then, for each section after the first add a small, acorn-size amount, just enough to keep the pad saturated. Once you're done with the swirl, make sure to wipe off any remaining product off the car before you glaze.

REMEMBER to put clothes on your girlfriend! After the swirl remover is worked in, put a coat of glaze on. You don't have to work it into the paint like the swirl remover. It's a much easier process. Just put a light coat over the entire car and wipe off when it dries to a haze. After the glaze, put the wax on. Apply and remove just like you did for the glaze. The more coats of wax, the deeper the shine. I put two coats on mine...it was beautiful.

If you use those pads from www.topoftheline.com , they have a nice beveled edge to them which allows you to get into tight spots like the back deck.

Don't worry about it too much. Just take your time and be careful. You won't mess up your paint. It's worth the time and effort. Your paint will look sexier than it did coming off the showroom. Take some before and after pics to document the difference.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:03 AM
thndrgd

some before and afters of mine....
Attached Thumbnails Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03432.jpg   Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03477.jpg   Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03478.jpg   Is black really that hard to keep clean?-_dsc03479.jpg  
Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Superhung

That shine only survives for a few days =)
Old 05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
The Black Z

so you do swirl then wipe off the extra, then glaze but a light coat with porter cable and wipe extra, put on wax and wipe off extra, and maybe another coat of glaze?

I have a CF hood, should I leave that alone?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 PM
thndrgd

so you do swirl then wipe off the extra, then glaze but a light coat with porter cable and wipe extra, put on wax and wipe off extra, and maybe another coat of glaze?

I have a CF hood, should I leave that alone?
no, one coat of glaze is good enough. Other than that you're good to go. There shouldn't be a lot of extra swirl remover to wipe off. Most of it will get worked into the clear coat. You're using the porter cable for all three applications, right?

not sure about the cf hood. I would say it's ok because the cf hood has a polyurethane clear coat on it, like your paint. That's essentially what your fixing on your paint, the swirl marks on the clear coat.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Mr_Q

Wash it about once every two months. I dust it everyday and I use Turtlewax's Premium Gloss detail spray and a microfiber cloth once a week.

Doing that keeps it looking a deep rich black. I get other owners of black cars all the time asking me why my black looks so much more "black" than theirs.

Still, my 350z's fropnt end is totally a "10" foot car. Any closer and all the chips and divets show up. :\

Keeping a microfiber and a polymer based detail spray with you is a good thing. That way if water splashes or bird crap get on your car you can safely take care of it asap.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

We don't have a garage so whichever color I get, it'll be outside. There must be plenty of people who have black Zs and keep it outside? right?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:59 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

No....don't get black and keep it outside. trust me.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 PM
The Black Z

Originally Posted by thndrgd
no, one coat of glaze is good enough. Other than that you're good to go. There shouldn't be a lot of extra swirl remover to wipe off. Most of it will get worked into the clear coat. You're using the porter cable for all three applications, right?

not sure about the cf hood. I would say it's ok because the cf hood has a polyurethane clear coat on it, like your paint. That's essentially what your fixing on your paint, the swirl marks on the clear coat.
yeah i'm using the porter cable for all three, can you send me a direct link to these pads please?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 PM
pyropete

Yah, mine has little hairline scratches from the towel i use to dry it. It seems like every coupld weeks I have to use Meguires ScratchX, and Gold Coat.. That usually makes it look showroom shiny again, but then the dust is back in about a day. I was going to buy a duster tomorrow to keep it dust free between washes.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:00 AM
St@inless

Black Z ... check out this site on the Porter Cable 7424 = It will tell you everything you need to know about using this tool / pads and show you a lot of before and after results (very detailed info) I printed out a copy of this info to use as a guide while using the polisher for the first time: http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html
Old 05-27-2005, 04:48 AM
thndrgd

Link to the pads:

http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

Quick Reply: Is black really that hard to keep clean?