Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Review @ 5000 Miles & Complaint Log!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 03:24 PM
Boomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Review @ 5000 Miles & Complaint Log!!!

Originally posted by LA-Z
Ok. Quick Review. The car kicks ***. I'm sure you've read all the details. NOW complaints:

I have Enthu. w/17" Wheels. #869 (1st 1000 produced)
#1 Tire Scalloping/Uneven Inner Wear: None. Zip zero nada. Will have pics up later. I have 5000 Miles, lots long road trips, some tight turns, but mostly every day driving.
#2 Pulling to the right. It doesn't. Drives stright as the day is long.
#3 Tranny. I have Man. Transmission. No grind. No hard shifting. Lots of redline shifting & downshifting without ANY issues. Do have the buzz sound at around 75MPH with steady driving. Might fix that before 30K miles are up.
#4 Rattles. None.
#5 Sunglass Holder. MINE FIT!!! Nice......
#6 Orange Peel. Not as bad as my neighbors Carrera 4 Vert. Honestly. His is worse. Not by a lot, but for $80K+, well. He doesn't even know he has it! The beauty of ignorance. Oh and out of the 80+ people that have come up to me to compliment the car as I've had it since Aug. 15, comments on the Orange Peel ZERO.

There you go.
Exactly the type of driving I bought the Z for. Nice to hear something besides gripes, I know they are legit, but it is depressing sometimes. The buzz sound? Coming from the strut brace or other? Thats the only buzz I hear, and I still haven't taken mine in to get the Bose amp ordered. Too busy driving it around. Wonderful car.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I am at 2100 miles. No tire problems, no rattles, to shifting problems, slight orange peel but nothing a little ZAINO can't take your eye off of! I have had absolutely no trouble from this car and I love every aspect of it. Oh yeah, my sunglasses fit just fine.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:52 PM
rouxeny

Almost 3700 miles so far and no real problems. I don't wear sunglasses (too lazy to get prescription ones) so I can't speak as to the holder issue. No clunking, or pulling. There is an occasional groan from the left rear when making turns into and out of driveways. It's not too bothersome, just sounds funny. The car is a little creaky in the cold weather, but I kind of expect that. Haven't noticed any tire problems. The window streaks continue, I've given up cleaning them, figuring it'll eventually solve itself. One thing I've noticed is that it's very easy to go driving about and not remember that you're in a sports car. In order to get the car to go, you really have to step on it a little more than I typically do. I guess I just have a fairly conservative driving style most of the time. When you do give it some stick, the car responds well, could definitely be faster, but overall very good. One thing in comparison to a Boxster S, there is no way to drive that car conservatively, it always feels like it's on the verge of boiling over.

Oh, a word of caution, the front bumper is very low. I almost hit it against the parking stop a few days ago. Then, my friend wasn't so lucky and I have my first mush mark on the front lip. Thankfully, japanparts.com sells that CF look bumper finisher which should cover up the dents perfectly.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:23 PM
ttheisen93

Default clunk noise

Sage posted this on another thread:

Page 5-21:

Self-test feature

The anti-lock brake system consists of electronic
sensors, electric pumps, and hydraulic solenoids
controlled by a computer. The computer has a
built-in diagnostic feature that tests the system
each time you start the engine and move the
vehicle at a low speed in forward or reverse.
When the self-test occurs, you may hear a clunk

Folks might want to read the thing. It really does have a few pieces of information about the Z that you should know about.

www.courtesyparts.com/350z/2003-Nissan-350Z.pdf

Craig
Old 11-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Boomer

Default review

Had my Brother-in-law test today. My wife's sister and her husband were in today for the holiday and I let him drive the car. Right now they are a 1 bmw family, a 740iL. They had let me drive it several times and its very smooth and fast, top end, of course. She looked at my Z and pronounced it "cute" as she usually does since shes driving a behemoth. She said it looks fast but not as fast as her bmw.

I laughed and told her she was dead wrong, the Z was much faster. She didn't believe me, so I gave her husband my key and asked if he was ready to go. He said sure, so we drove our way south toward the river bridge and at the entrance to I35, he floored it in full auto mode, when he let up we were at 110 and climbing and he steered toward the off ramp across the river.

I took over from him to demonstrate the manual mode. At roll on, doing 15mph, I floored it and shifted at redline in second at the highway entrance and broke the tires loose and redlined through 3rd at 90 or 100, whatever. He was very impressed and said so. Of course, there's always an of course, he remarked it had a different new car smell he couldn't id. I calmly said, only the seats are leather, with a smile. Its always the same game in some families. Both he and my sister-in-law have forgotten I steered them into bmws in the late 80's. They drove Cadillacs before then.

Boomer--smug in the knowledge some old farts can still turn it on when they want. By the way, the 5AT was hauling my 285lbs and his 245 and still broke traction at the upshift into 2nd. This trans is remarkable, especially since I redlined it for the first time YESTERDAY. I love this car.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:03 AM
j's350z

I take back what I said about my only problem being the shitty greasy windows. My 3rd gear syncro's are 100% shot...Grinds almost everytime I downshift into 3rd and sometimes when upshifting into 3rd. I'm going to the dealer now so I'll see what they say...
Jason
NJ
3800 miles
Old 11-29-2002, 07:25 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I should consider myself lucky. Not only are all of the major systems working fine, but I have't experienced this "greasy window" problem at all. I use Zaino (Z-6) on the windows (inside and out). Don't know if that has done anything or not.

UUUUMMMMMM, underestimate one must not, the power of Zaino!
Attached Thumbnails Review @ 5000 Miles & Complaint Log!!!-yoda.jpg  
Old 11-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by j's350z
I take back what I said about my only problem being the shitty greasy windows. My 3rd gear syncro's are 100% shot...Grinds almost everytime I downshift into 3rd and sometimes when upshifting into 3rd. I'm going to the dealer now so I'll see what they say...
Jason
NJ
3800 miles
Sorry about your trans, I hope its not too bad. As for the greasy windows, mine did it once and never again. Just dumb luck I guess. If your windows are continuing to be as bad as they started, you need to have the dealer check it out. Its usually only needed a cleaning for most, but one owner had to have a new window motor.

Last edited by Boomer; 11-29-2002 at 09:03 AM.