Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Test Drives? How willing are they...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 PM
elms350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I told them I was prepared to make a purchase the same day, and they usually just handed me the keys. They photocopied my Lisc. of course. Some rode with me, others just gave me the keys...hehe good times!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 PM
mlam002

well before I purchased my Z, I actually called the dealer first to set up an appointment for a test drive.

I went during the middle of the week and took the test drive during the morning hours as to avoid traffic.

I took the car to the limit up and down the street... the salesman who happend to be the fleet manager actually encouraged me to run the car as hard as I wanted.

granted..3 weeks after the test drive I took delivery on a 05 Redline.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:59 PM
SB Track

When I was 17, I went with my dad. They didn't even ask for a license and my dad stayed back while I drove.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Badfish25

no problems here and I'm 21. Of course i was looking for a deal so i'd walk in and first thing I would say is I wanted to talk numbers. Would even mention I Don't care about a test drive. Play hardball and they will practically beg you to take it for a test drive.

One thing that peeved me the most though is if the sales man needs to take it off the lot. EVERY one of the idiots stalled within 5 seconds of getting in the car.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:42 AM
bixby

I had no trouble with a test drive and did no scheduling or prework other than all my spec sheets and KBB prices. It's kind of a long story on how I found my Brick but the one I test drove (7 miles on it) is also the one I own.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I was able to drive one was the day when I bought it. And I had to agree on numbers first, which is hard to do when you dont drive the vehicle first.

lame *** dealers
Old 05-18-2005, 01:51 PM
ClaytonC01

Well most dealerships around here dont just let you take a car out for a test drive unless you look filthy rich or they run a credit check. Of course when i bought my Z.. I didnt have too much trouble because i know 2 of the saleman and im good friends with them. They know me pretty well and the manager didnt really wanna let me take it which is probably smart because of my age, but he let me because the 2 friends that work there knew i was really interested. so when i got back, the manager and my friend were in the office and i walked in and told them to start the paperwork, and after a little haggling, i drove away in the z..
Old 05-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Master4846

I am only 19 and had very little trouble test driving a Z. I brought my girlfriend on both drives and both time she rode with me during the drive. That way I could drive as I please. The dealership did get my drivers liscense (that was expired because I lost my new one) but the sales guy didn't even look at it just made a copy.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:12 PM
SekZee

i wanted to test drive a G35, while having my Z already, so i just came to a Infiniti dealership, and said that im thinking of trading in a z for a g, they gave me the keys, and took a copy of my DL. I test drove the shizzy out of it, when i returned it it smelled like burned oil and clutch... poor car, i didnt push it any harder then i push my Z sometimes, but at some point i felt that the car was loosing it, and was about to fall apart. I got back, took the keys back in, and walked out, saying i dont like it.

im 22, and was with my friend.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 AM
VinUnleaded

No test drive, no buy...case closed.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 PM
mooredc

I test drove three different Z's at the same dealership on the same day. I wanted to try out both the Automatic and Manual. No problem at all.

I didn't even want to try the last one but the saleslady was a very cute blond and insisted I try out the fully decked out model with GPS [which I really didn't want].
Old 05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

They aren't as willing to let you test roadsters. They want you to test a coupe first to see if you are "worthy" of testing a roadster. It was pretty funny the way they did it. LOL
Old 05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by SekZee
i wanted to test drive a G35, while having my Z already, so i just came to a Infiniti dealership, and said that im thinking of trading in a z for a g, they gave me the keys, and took a copy of my DL. I test drove the shizzy out of it, when i returned it it smelled like burned oil and clutch... poor car, i didnt push it any harder then i push my Z sometimes, but at some point i felt that the car was loosing it, and was about to fall apart. I got back, took the keys back in, and walked out, saying i dont like it.

im 22, and was with my friend.
Infiniti seems pretty willing to let ppl test their cars. My dad tried like 5 or 6 and the salesman didn't go with him once.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
ZsAllright

The "joy rides" described worry me a bit....you are not harming the
dealer by "ragging" on a brand new(un-broken-in) car...you are harming
the future buyer...How do you know the car you eventually bought was
not treated to the same abuse?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 960 Likes on 725 Posts

im 20 now, but on my 20th bday i went to a nissan dealership in greenville sc just for the hell of it. Rolled up, got out and talked to a sleezy salesman. Took a 03 white base out, brought it back in. They wanted to run numbers, told i had to think about it, they let me take it home for three days. I brought it back with 300 more miles on it. told em i wasnt in a financial situation to buy it and it was overpriced (24k but had 48k miles!). they wouldnt budge on price, i said bye! 2 weeks later they dropped 2k off sticker. They tried hard to get me to take it run numbers.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by ZsAllright
How do you know the car you eventually bought was
not treated to the same abuse?
Because you never buy the car you test drive originally. You make sure you get one still shrink wrapped. DUH! LOL
Old 05-20-2005, 07:37 AM
BENSIN

When I went for a test drive I just called ahead first to ask if I need to make any formal arrangement. They said no, just walk onto the lot, drove down there, gave them my license which they made a copy of - and then drove it around. My test drive lasted about 8 minutes because it was freaking raining. Sales guy took it out of the lot and drove me to an empty parking lot then let me take over.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Camel

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
Walked up got in the car and started driving ... what else should I have expected?
Ditto. I'm 30 years old, maybe that helps...
Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 PM
mystik_350z

I'm 22, and a couple of weeks ago i decided to test drive the STI and Evo VIII for the fun of it. And of course i know how dealerships are, so I drive up in my Z and i tell these guys im thinking about trading the Z in for something with AWD. Without hesitation, they gave me the keys and I was beating the crap out of these cars. the mitsubishi salesman almost shat a brick when i tested the cars suspension.

so try and find a nice car, drive up in it, act like you know what you're talking about and you should be fine.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by mystik_350z
so try and find a nice car, drive up in it, act like you know what you're talking about and you should be fine.
+1
Make sure you dress like you have a lot of money. LOL

Quick Reply: Dealership Test Drives? How willing are they...