Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

nissan ones tirefeathering fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 10:28 AM
King Tut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tackett
so nice to meet yet another person who is incapable of arguing a point without becoming belligerent.

If they would take an iota of responsibilty for it then it wouldnt be an issue for me.

You should really practice your matra, take an valium, and stop being a jerkwad to people that you dont know.
I am the one that is the jerkwad eh. Did I personally attack anyone in this thread? Did I resort to using curse words in my posts? I bet you didn't take the time to read the entire thread did you? You state that Nissan has not taken an iota of responsibility for it. How do you expain the TSB they put out? What do you want me to do? Just post that I am sorry that their tires are wearing poorly and leave it at that. Does that fix anything? Did I state anywhere that I don't want to see the problem fixed? I want to hear what people believe Nissan should do instead of just hearing people saying they want Nissan to do something.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Z-Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kingtut,

I couldn't care less about people who complain about these tires in general. Yes they get noisy when they wear (tire design), yes they are slippery in the rain and snow (dry road performance tire), yes they will wear quicker then tires on a camry (performance tire).

The tire is a crappy tire in general as far as performance tires go.

The 350z is the only car that "feathers" (wears) this tire in an abnormal fashion. I have yet to see one rx-8 owner compaining of tire feathering and I still haven't.

Z-Stalker
Old 05-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Z-Stalker

I didn't say you guys experience "feathering", that is a Nissan word.
Then why even mention other tire issues? Are we going to talk about Firestone Ford Explorer problems as well? After all, it was a tire problem and we are talking about tires.

And think about the statement above. It's a Nissan term why? Because Z's first showed this unique flawed wear pattern.

Z-Stalker
Old 05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Z-Stalker
And think about the statement above. It's a Nissan term why? Because Z's first showed this unique flawed wear pattern.

Z-Stalker
You think the other cars just magically get this tire noise? Do you know what feathering is? Do you know why it causes tire noise? Those guys are describing the exact same thing that 350Z owners describe in that when the tires begin to wear, even a little, they start getting noisier. My point was to display that other cars equipped with the same tires also experience tire noise. Sounds like you just don't want me to let people know that the RX-8 has a similar tire noise issue with the OEM tires.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:32 AM
King Tut

I will not be replaying to this thread any more. I have decided to refrain from opening or posting in any threads that have the word "feathering" in the title.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Z-Stalker

Do you know what feathering is?
Cleary you don't. You can have tire noise with no evidence of feathering.

You think the other cars just magically get this tire noise?
I know that tire noise is not always caused by feathering. It can be caused by many different types of tire wear which may or may not include the dreaded feathering.

My point was to display that other cars equipped with the same tires also experience tire noise.
Oh I totally agree. And there's also different brands of tires that experience noise as well. Do they have feathering as well?

Sounds like you just don't want me to let people know that the RX-8 has a similar tire noise issue with the OEM tires.
I'm sure every Rx-8 owner is waiting for you to spill the beans about their feathering none of them seem to be experiencing. Personally I haven't wasted one brain cycle worrying about what you may tell Rx-8 owners.

Z-Stalker
Old 05-21-2005, 09:24 AM
johnk024

Gee....King Tut sounds like a Nissan service manager. We all know that tires are a wear and tear thing. However, when they need to be replaced with only 6,000 or 8,000 miles on them there is something seriously wrong. No amount of rotating and balancing is going to solve that. And it's quite obvious that the alignment issue is the reason tires are wearing out so fast. If that wasn't the problem do you really think Nissan would have extended the warranty for alignments?!? If you want to keep paying for Nissan's mistake, go right ahead. But say don't the rest of us who aren't willing to accept this problem are "complaining" about it.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:41 PM
rodH

King Tut,

the more you talk the more stupid you make yourself look. Obviously you know nothing about the issue. nissan has admitted the issue, Dealers have admitted the issue, and Owners have admitted the issue, and you deny them??

You seem to think that everyone here has the Z as a 1st car. hmmmm, this is my 7th car and the 1st one that has EVER had any feather straight from the factory. Interesting coorelation ha??

why do you even waste your time??
Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
boma

I agree. Man what is up with this arguing online stuff?

We shouldn't have to dig up examples and sweat the little bitty details just to get a permanent fix for our tires.

Tompeacock nissan in houston, tx even went as far as not honoring the TSB's that i printed for my 350Z! They said it had to show up under my VIN in their computer for them to work on it under warranty!!! Of course nothing did show up!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:06 PM
AmyCroft

Default Get a Call into Nissan North America

Originally Posted by boma
I agree. Man what is up with this arguing online stuff?

We shouldn't have to dig up examples and sweat the little bitty details just to get a permanent fix for our tires.

Tompeacock nissan in houston, tx even went as far as not honoring the TSB's that i printed for my 350Z! They said it had to show up under my VIN in their computer for them to work on it under warranty!!! Of course nothing did show up!
Here is the link to How Serious all the 350Z - Eat tires....

This near the end..

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ng#post1463934

This is the Front of the thread - Enjoy

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ng#post1463934

There are 174 - Full Pages of Comentary

As you have a serious Complaint.. Call NNA

So far there has been many TSB's on the Noise issue...

The RE040 is part of the problem.
The Newer RE040 is some help.
1/16 Tow in - both front and rear helps quite a bit on extending tirewear.
The RE040 is being test on a 1996 Maxima - The new set of tires (NNA provided) are growling very bad at 9000 Freway Miles - this is equal to 6000 Miles on a 350Z. - A set of Toyo TS-1 on rear of the MAxima are doing great.

Next test - put Toyo 245/45/18's on the front of the MAX.

The piggish weight of Both Cars may be a factor..The Staggard 225/45/18 Front and 245/45/18 rear - Just for looks -
Hopefully the VDC/TCS can be re-programed for 245/45/18 on both ends..

Yes - all of these cars have a serious and perhaps fatal flaw...

Search for the Original - Feathering article on the www.my350z.com web site

Many - Many - Problem with all years of the 350Z

Cheers Amy -
P.S. We have one test car - with adjustable front upper Control rods - That is now in test.. - However they are Tow and Camber only adjustable..

Still testing...

Last edited by AmyCroft; 05-23-2005 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Here is the Link to How serious a problem 350Z have
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
dlmkr1

Anybody know the name of the new Potenza 040? I heard 040a or somthing like that. Supposedly on the 04s and later. My 03 is going in again Monday for a non dealer mechanical alignment and new 040s. Not thrilled about the tires but I'll take them. NAA is paying for them and the alignment. First set at 6700, now another at 13,500. Started roaring at 12,500.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
slaponte

I don't know if they have a name, but they are easy to spot. The cross-thread lines don't reach the first grove on the edge threads. Besides that, I think they are the same.

I am totally convinced all this does is cover up the noise some so people don't complain...
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
dlmkr1

thanks, slaponte...I think Iam going to take them off and just sell them. I have a set of Goodyear f1 GS-D3s ready to put on I had already bought but was waiting the outcome of what Nissan was going to do. I am sure this is the last time Nissan will step up for me so I might as well have the tires I really want. Besides I wanted to step up to 235/40/18s and 275/40/18s. I just hope the mechanical alignment from the speed shop every 3K will do the trick. Anybody have the latest alignment specs or should I do somthing special for the wider tires?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Forrest80

where can i find TSB for nissan 350z's?

and i understand noise is what you will hear from feathering, but what should i see visualy?

im just praying my 05 dont get it.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:15 PM
slaponte

You will see on the inside edge of the front tires that the "bumps" are worn un-evenly, up and down. If there is some dust ont he tire it is a lot easier to see, or you run your hand over them when it is very bad.

Camber wear is an excesive wear on the inside edge, but even around the tire inside edge.

If you have an 05 you probably have the newer tires. Since most of the problem with feathering is in the noise, reducing the noise from the tires and the alignment makes the "symptoms" go away. Kind off, if you don't sneeze or have a fever, do you really have a cold?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:15 PM
slaponte

The latest alignment specs are the ones on the TSB from April 2004 that extended the warranties, etc on the 2003s
Old 06-09-2005, 05:57 PM
arejohn

Thought you might find it interesting that the owners manual for Jaguar S Type recomends to NOT rotate tires. Mentions that best handling is after tires take set with road.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:02 PM
arejohn

To test for early feathering (feathering not extensive enough to see) run your hand over the inside thread the direction of tire rotation and back against rotation. One direction will feel smooth the other direction choppy or sharper. Mild version of teeth hand hand saw blade.