Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
View Poll Results: Would you let someone else drive your Z?
YES! I like to share my Z with others!
50.60%
PERHAPS Only in case of an emergency, service repairs, etc.
29.17%
NO! Buzz off! Get your own Z!
20.24%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Would you let someone else drive your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 08:24 PM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you asked....

My wife and I got into a little tiff on Thanksgiving because I wouldn't take the Z to the in-law's Tbird dinner. Put yourself in my position....would you park your Z bumper to bumper with a dozen SUV's under some big, sappy pines knowing after the fourth or fifth round everyone with a license, a permit or a suspended sentence would be asking you for the keys?

It was a quiet ride to San Leandro in the Passat.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:32 AM
Bob_Red

My Gal (Red) and I bought it together so we share the car and everything else. But I wouldn't share either with anyone else.

Who's turn is it.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:33 AM
Bobg

I have and I will.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Eric1h

I would let a SELECT few drive it with me in the car, and not until after its broken in, nevr by themselves, and probably the wife, she is more afraid of hurting it than i am
Old 12-01-2002, 10:57 AM
roberto350z

Originally posted by pointfivezero
Since you asked....

My wife and I got into a little tiff on Thanksgiving because I wouldn't take the Z to the in-law's Tbird dinner. Put yourself in my position....would you park your Z bumper to bumper with a dozen SUV's under some big, sappy pines knowing after the fourth or fifth round everyone with a license, a permit or a suspended sentence would be asking you for the keys?

Tell the wife Im sorry.... but Im gonna have to side with you on this one. Passat it is
Old 12-01-2002, 11:08 AM
Da Gimp

There is one girl that I have promised to let her drive mine, but other than that, they would need a very good reason for me to let them drive it
Old 12-01-2002, 01:33 PM
fatZo

Originally posted by Zoo
what a stupid question. doesn't it matter who it is, driving experience, etc. you should not own a Z if you need to ask a black/white question. what color is your z, black or white? mine is gray/silverstone. it depends. to ask such a question, you sould not be driving. anything!
troll
Old 12-02-2002, 08:28 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by Tom-in-NY
ive let or will let several girls drive my car.
since i prommised them.
and i know they wont drive it like a guy would. but other then that no one touches my car
Hey Tom--Guys hand me the keys to their cars, show I can show them "what it can really do." Some of us know how to push it to the limit.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:55 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If by "someone else", you mean my super secret superhero persona... GQ-Man! Then yes.

Umm.... whoa... I guess my identity is not so super secret anymore... hmm... time for a new identity... perhaps, I'll be Dr. Bonz's sidekick... The Zaino Kid!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:01 AM
Phatmitzu

I've let my some of my good friends drive my Eclipse, and have tried to teach my GF how to drive a stick in it. I think I will still let my friends try out my new Z, but not the teaching part.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:13 AM
jooklum99

Originally posted by pointfivezero
Since you asked....

I think I side with you on this one, too. My GF sees the kind of attention the car gets when we are together, so she would understand if I made the same request. But a GF is different from a wife! I hope you get to come out of the dog house before Christmas
Old 12-03-2002, 08:58 AM
Electro Z

Default rainy days

Naaa... I asked my wife and she again stated that no one can drive the Z till after she drives it.. and she cant/wont/dosent want to learn... to drive stick... sooo....

But its raining so my Z is in my nice warm garage while my dodge is getting wet...

perhaps I will get to drive her Thursday...

EZ
Old 12-03-2002, 10:22 AM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Originally posted by roberto350z
NOOOOOOO!!!! I tried to teach a g-friend to drive stick in my modded Z31 and all was well 98% of the time, but those other two percent etched horrific memories into my permanent memory.

Take the hill story: We were on her first hill. I mentioned that it would be difficult so she would have to give it a little more gas. She gave it ALOT of gas and started to burn rubber like a maniac and then freaked out and wouldnt let off the throttle! So she was TEARING it up out on that hill and after 5 seconds her first response while I was yelling at her to stop was to grab the e-brake .. I had to replace the clutch shortly after.

But, fortunately the Z33 has TCS...that woulda helped good luck
LOL roberto350z

I can relate to this one. I too, am teaching my girlfriend to drive a stick. The only two cars I have with manual are my Track Z and my son's 84 300 Turbo running 11 psi of boost. My son leaves the car with me when he is away at college.

I will watch out for hills. BTW, what was the other one.

Steve
Old 12-03-2002, 11:07 AM
jooklum99

Default Learning to drive stick

Learning to drive stick on a sports car is a daunting task. (Not impossible.) Good luck to both of you. May your repair bills (if any) be in the sub $500 category.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:53 PM
fatZo

Originally posted by Z CRAZY
LOL roberto350z

I can relate to this one. I too, am teaching my girlfriend to drive a stick. The only two cars I have with manual are my Track Z and my son's 84 300 Turbo running 11 psi of boost. My son leaves the car with me when he is away at college.

I will watch out for hills. BTW, what was the other one.

Steve
I'd never let a woman drive my car, let alone learn how to drive stick. There are other places where they can learn how to drive stick. (not so funny joke)
Old 12-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Static

sure, I let my friends drive my car. I mean, I love my car, but I'm not greedy about it.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:34 AM
roberto350z

Originally posted by Z CRAZY
BTW, what was the other one.

Steve
The other story: this girl could NOT understand that the e-brake is a necessary component of manual driving. Can you imagine someone who can only drop clutch cuz that that person didnt know how to drive manual yet, AND never disengage the ebrake? Im saying that EVERY time, like 15 times.

Drop ===> surge ===> stall (x15)

...to be continued

Quick Reply: Would you let someone else drive your Z?