Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Anyone adjust around Bose problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 07:08 PM
ZEyeDoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone adjust around Bose problem?

My Touring has the bad Bose but I've heard some less than positive things about the fix. Some have reported almost non-existent bass after the amp replacement. I was wondering if anyone decided to keep the original amp and was able to find a setting that gave decent sound? Thanks...

ZEyeDoc
Old 12-01-2002, 07:21 PM
Brad4rdHay

Bass: -2/-3
Trebble: 0
Balance: 0
Fader: +2

This helped out quite a bit for me. Radio still blows but its acceptable for CDs.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:26 PM
dragonbz99

i have decided to stay with my bugged bose since it has lots of bass.... if i wnat bass i can turn it up and if not just turn it down to -5 not that bad... better to have lots of somethign than none of something
Old 12-01-2002, 07:41 PM
JZC

I'm keeping it as well.

My car plays CD's and they sound good to me. That's really all I listen to.

MORE than enough bass for me too. I like a little bass, but my friends have like 2000 watt amps pushing their 12' subs. Not really for me, takes away from the music in my opinion.

Not many Rock stations around here, all rap and boy and girl bands.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:48 PM
ZEyeDoc

Answering my own question, I tried for over an hour to find a even remotely sweet spot for the controls. No matter what I did, the sound when the car was moving was plain awful. My daughter's Sentra is 1000% better. I also encountered for the first time the bizarre volume rising and falling issue. The good news is that the replacement amp is in and I'll have it installed on Weds. Oh well...

ZEyeDoc
Old 12-02-2002, 06:36 PM
N74DV

got my amp replaced and now I have like no bass.... it's pathetic.

bass adjustment does nothing from 0 to + 5 sounds exactly the same.

Plus everything sounds like it's playing through a tin can. it's awful.

I sat in a 2003 Jeep today. it's stereo sounded great. Much better than my Bose.

it's just pathetic.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:15 PM
ZEyeDoc

Actually, I just performed an experiment. I still have the original amp and with the car in the garage listening to a decent CD, I shifted the fader from front to rear. With the fader all the way to the rear there was almost no bass. With the fader shifted to the front there was a decent amount of bass. The other odd thing is that the radio is OK standing still but sucks when there is any road noise. The CD is passable (barely) still or moving. I don't see how that can just be an amp problem unless there is a different input circuit for the radio vs. the CD.

No matter how you look at it, the radio is among the worst I've heard in a modern car and I usually like Bose products. I guess I'll find out how effective the fix is in a few days.

ZEyeDoc
Old 12-02-2002, 07:20 PM
ToddLuc

I actually love my original Bose (Touring Z).

I usually run bass at +2 or +3. If I want to run the volume at around 28 (out of 31), I run bass at +5 and it sounds incredible. I am playing Pink Floyd and Alanis Morissette. Both sound incredible.

I noticed the radio is under par. I run bass at 0 and it sounds good, though.

Oh, treble is at +2 or +3 usually. I fade more to the front than rear.

Also, when I have the stereo at volume of about 14 or less, I usually turn the bass down to +1 or 0 and it sounds excellent.

Again, I love the original Bose, so I don't plan to change it. This is the first stereo ever that I can run at 31 (full volume) and max bass, and have it sound SO good... like a concert hall!

Regards,
Todd

Last edited by ToddLuc; 12-02-2002 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:41 PM
ZEyeDoc

Todd... I didn't know it was possible for humans to survive audio levels that high ! My Bose sounds so bad at normal volumes that I've been afraid to crank it that high. I wonder if your touring already came with the fix. My VIN is a few hundred before they made the running change.

ZEyeDoc
Old 12-02-2002, 07:45 PM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by ZEyeDoc
Todd... I didn't know it was possible for humans to survive audio levels that high ! My Bose sounds so bad at normal volumes that I've been afraid to crank it that high. I wonder if your touring already came with the fix. My VIN is a few hundred before they made the running change.

ZEyeDoc

It is possible that my Z already has the fix. My VIN is also a few hundred below the fix-point. However, my Z sat at the dock waiting for a rear spoiler. It is possible they put the fix in while my Z waited.

I wonder if there is a way to tell, without pulling the amp out and checking?

Todd