2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

which z is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:29 PM
xxx4reggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which z is best?

hi guys, i'm a noob
i'm in the process of buying a new z. selling my accord for that.
i wanted to know what z is better. there are so many diff versions of z's
touring, enthusiasts, performance, roadster, aniversary and more i think

so out of those which is better and why??
i was looking at enthusiasts cuz its better then the lowest model z. it was limited slip and i think thats important. wat do you guys think?

the standard is like 26k msrp and the enthusiast is like 29k msrp. its gonna be alot cheaper then that right?? i see people get the enthusiast for like 26k!!

and about auto or stick, wats faster in 1/4, wats the better choice. with my accord the issue always was the tranny failing on you, dam auto tranny!! they sucked on it. so thats why i'm scared that the z's would mess up to.

your help is really appriciated thanks!! i just wanna get a z thats worth it with the stuff thats needed and fast.

i was also thinking of either sti or evo but i donno, z looks better and cheaper

thanks again guys!!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Enthusiast; most bang for buck. Price should be 1,000 to 2000 below MSRP and no dealer adds or packs.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:58 PM
xxx4reggie

cool cool
hey....sorry for this noob question...wats the 1/4 on the z (auto and stick) i saw sticks are at 13.5-14 but no one did auto's yet

also wats the sti and evo's 1/4
i'm trying to compare and see whats best

thanks again guys
Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you get the 13.5 to 14 sec stock 1/4 mile? That's like the times of a professional driver or Alberto on this board. high 13s are more common, but 13.5s...don't think I've seen that on a stock Z. But autos are about just as fast as manuals...unless you are really a pro at launching and shifting. It's just more consistency.

about the models...what do you want to do with the car? What is your budget? What is your driving style? If you are not gonna mod it or track it, a 35th is a good one cuz it has everything. If you are gonna mod it, then I would second the enthusiast like The Brickyard Rat said. Or if you will mod it like crazy, get the base...get your own 2 way differential.

good luck...and just a piece of advice...there are plenty of information you are looking for on this board...using the search function may lead you to more info than we can tell you right off the bat here.

edit: oh yea...the stock 1/4 times for evos and stis are in the low 13s.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
xxx4reggie

Originally Posted by nitrouz
where did you get the 13.5 to 14 sec stock 1/4 mile? That's like the times of a professional driver or Alberto on this board. high 13s are more common, but 13.5s...don't think I've seen that on a stock Z. But autos are about just as fast as manuals...unless you are really a pro at launching and shifting. It's just more consistency.

about the models...what do you want to do with the car? What is your budget? What is your driving style? If you are not gonna mod it or track it, a 35th is a good one cuz it has everything. If you are gonna mod it, then I would second the enthusiast like The Brickyard Rat said. Or if you will mod it like crazy, get the base...get your own 2 way differential.

good luck...and just a piece of advice...there are plenty of information you are looking for on this board...using the search function may lead you to more info than we can tell you right off the bat here.

edit: oh yea...the stock 1/4 times for evos and stis are in the low 13s.

lol
sorry sorry
i was confusing the sti and evo 1/4 miles
but i will be modding it.
i did search but it doesnt come up or it says that the words are too short so better to just post and bam!! sorry if u guys are mad. didnt mean to

as far as auto and manuel being around the same, about how much so?? with hard driving did the auto ever die for anyone?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

nono we ain't mad. I was just suggesting that searching might give you more info than we can provide off the top of our heads. No worries and welcome to the forum by the way.

Regarding the auto and manual...multiple posts that I have read have said that autos can run 13.9 to 14.2s consistently, while manuals AVERAGE around 14 sec. So that's really close to be said which one is faster...all depends on how good a driver you are. And this is still a relatively new car, and I haven't read anything about auto trannys failing YET. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 PM
xxx4reggie

cool!!
dang so the auto and stick dont make that huge diff!!
coool!!
so wat would you guys recommend??
also, from the 3 cars, wat's ur guys opinion. i can afford up to the sti but i dont wanna just get it, you know. i wanna make sure i get the right thing

thanks!!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

that, my friend, is up to you. Those are subjective personal opinions that differ from one another. Most if not all people here will tell you to drive all 3 to find out for yourself. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was like 90% sure I wanted the Performance package. I drove it. I was like "WTF this cloth seat is scratchy" so I tried the Touring (leather) ... the difference is night and day in my opinion. I used to have cloth in the Maxima, it was quite comfortable compared to the racing seats of the cloth Z interior.

I was contemplating getting the Performance with aftermarket leather, but ultimately I decided I loved the touring.

If you're on a budget, just get enthusiast...gotta have HID lights at least.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by xxx4reggie
i wanted to know what z is better.
I think I can speak for everyone here when I say the answer to your question is "Mine is".

the Ethusiast is a prob you're best bet. Most features for the least amount of money.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM
xxx4reggie

dam guys, you are helpful!!
and i thank you for that!!

hey i was checking out the performance model and that was has VDC i think, vehicle control, do i really need that?? i want a z that has the best performance.
the performance one has also stabilars, strut bars, multi link suspension and micro cams

is that good or should i still kick it with the enthusisat model

thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
BENSIN

-Edit - reposted-
Old 06-01-2005, 12:32 PM
BENSIN

Most important thing to consier is that the Z is a big BIG change from the Accord, front/rear wheel, the power, etc... TOTALLY different driving experience in both, make sure you get a feel for the Z and know you will enjoy driving it every single day, especially if you're going to get it in stick, major factors being driving conditions, daily drives to and from work, etc...

Z also isn't a winter car, you can get by with it, but it's not a really good winter car depending on where you live, that will have a lot of impact. Personal advice is to have the Z and a daily driver, automatic, of course is easier, this will serve to make your daily commute easier and also conserve the Z, but it's all up to you my friend.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Lerxst

dam guys, you are helpful!!
and i thank you for that!!

hey i was checking out the performance model and that was has VDC i think, vehicle control, do i really need that?? i want a z that has the best performance.
the performance one has also stabilars, strut bars, multi link suspension and micro cams

is that good or should i still kick it with the enthusisat model

thanks
Unless I'm mistaken, the suspension is the same on all models. As for VDC, I'd recommend it if you can afford it. If it saves your butt once, it's worth it... and if this is your first high-powered rear-wheel drive sports car (it's my first), your chances of losing it are gonna be higher IMHO.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:09 PM
sokudo9l6

Reggie...what's happening man? This is Derek..glad you're considering about joining the Z family.

btw...plz don't get an auto. Your accord is an auto, it's time to change things up a bit. You'll get use to driving stick in no time!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM
ANXIOUZ

All of the Z's are basically the same exact car with the exception of the 05 Track and 05 35th Ann editions that have slightly different engines. The only difference between the Z trim levels is the accessories (leather seats, Bose stereo, HID headlight, VDC, 18" wheels, etc.). Check out Nissan.com to see what has what.

VDC is nice to have if you live where the weather can get hairy (heavy rain, snow, etc.). It's a nice feature to have for piece of mind but it's an expensive upgrade. You still get Traction Control with non-Base trims.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
xxx4reggie

DEREK!! wats up man, dude!! i wanna c ur z!!
let me check it out!! and yeah u know how it is with the accords (rolleyes)
derek wat model is urs!!

maximz, yeah this is my first high performance car. lol man going from an accord, any car is high performance!! but yeah, the VDC does sound good, especially for new drivers like me!! gatat check that out
Old 06-01-2005, 06:11 PM
SB Track

Track for Brembo's.

But seriously, the Enthusiast if you're on a budget, or Touring if you want leather. (Damn I wanted leather but the stupid Track models don't get it.)
Old 06-01-2005, 06:39 PM
xxx4reggie

oh also guys another very important question
is the TT for the Z california legal??
if i bought it and slapped it on then would it be ok to drive on the streets or no??

thanks so much

p.s.
So I'm having this dream
I'm in my 350Z.
And these guys are after me
But they cant catch me
So they get a car
But they cant catch me
So they get a plane
Juuuuuuusssssst as they're about to catch me
My (Greddy).......Twin.......Turbos.........Kick..........In!!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:11 PM
sokudo9l6

dude...you need to calm down with the turbo dreams. Everyone wants one but you better learn how to drive the car first. You don't want to slap on a turbo and let the car control you.

Oh yeah...the TT isn't carb legal.

Last edited by sokudo9l6; 06-01-2005 at 07:15 PM.