Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My power windows are driving me insane on this car

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:07 AM
SilverstoneZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry My power windows are driving me insane on this car

At first I was having issues with my passanger side window. I would roll it up and it would roll half way back down. I had the motor reset a few times. It fixed it for a while. Then they say they can not reset the motor anymore. I would have to buy a new motor. Now just this week I have a problem with my drivers side window. It seems that the track or teeth are not catching properly and sometimes it will not roll down and if I put slight pressure on the top of the window with the door open it will catch and start to work. Also the window will not seal with the top of the door when I close the door. sorry just venting.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:18 AM
marco_mendoza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same problem with my passenger door. I'm outside of the warranty so i'm waiting till i have time to replace the motor myself.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 AM
SilverstoneZ

Originally Posted by marco_mendoza
same problem with my passenger door. I'm outside of the warranty so i'm waiting till i have time to replace the motor myself.
Do you know how hard it is to remove the door panel? I really havent looked into it on my 350z yet. I am thinking of pulling my drivers side off to see whats going on with the window this weekend.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM
marco_mendoza

i'm sure it's not too hard, at first i thought it was the electric connectors so i just literally "pulled" the handrest panels to get to them. i noticed that to pull the whole door panel does require some tools, and i wasn't near my garage to do it.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 AM
SilverstoneZ

i'm sure it's not too hard, at first i thought it was the electric connectors so i just literally "pulled" the handrest panels to get to them. i noticed that to pull the whole door panel does require some tools, and i wasn't near my garage to do it.
I have more than enough tools to get the job done I hope. I just know some cars can be a huge pain to get them off.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 AM
bixby

I had the same problem with my driver side. Finally fixed on 3rd try with motor replacement. I believe there is a TSB on this so it may not matter if you're out of warranty.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 AM
mavtais

You should return the car and get another Z. I think there's a law or something that says that if there is a recurring problem and it cannot be fixed, you can return the car for a replacement. A couple of buddies of mine in SoCal had recurring problems with a Honda Civic power window, returned it and got an Accord. That was back in 1998.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 AM
marco_mendoza

Originally Posted by bixby
I had the same problem with my driver side. Finally fixed on 3rd try with motor replacement. I believe there is a TSB on this so it may not matter if you're out of warranty.
really, with a TSB it might not matter? gotta check that out
Old 06-01-2005, 10:22 AM
partyman66

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-064.htm

I believe that is the TSB, although there is no specific mention of the problem symptoms.... I do know that the window regulator is the cause from numerous accounts of similar happenings on other G35's and 350Z's.

Does it only happen when you use the Auto-Up feature to fully close your windows, or does it do it when you manually operate the switch to fully close the window?

Auto-Up, being the feature where you click the window control switch all the way up and then let go of the button and the windows keep going up until they are completely closed.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
PoWeRtRiP

had that same problem. after the 2nd attempt at replacing the motor on my passenger side door it was fixed. i believe the problem comes from how the door automatically comes down an inch when you open it, then reseals
Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 AM
SilverstoneZ

Originally Posted by partyman66
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-064.htm

I believe that is the TSB, although there is no specific mention of the problem symptoms.... I do know that the window regulator is the cause from numerous accounts of similar happenings on other G35's and 350Z's.

Does it only happen when you use the Auto-Up feature to fully close your windows, or does it do it when you manually operate the switch to fully close the window?

Auto-Up, being the feature where you click the window control switch all the way up and then let go of the button and the windows keep going up until they are completely closed.
My passanger window has problems with the auto up it will go back down half way. Now my drivers side just has issues no matter what I do.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Electro Z

I had issues with the streaks.. after I got it back both wwindows wouldnt work right..now after three trips to the dealer and invoking the nna call I got the windows both to roll down 1/4 inch on opening and tight on closing.. though I have a little tightness squeek in the driver window on rolling up I can live with it.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:27 PM
cwerdna

I had the driver's side power window totally fail on Sunday (stuck closed) but then today when I tried to closer the passenger side one, it failed too, but is stuck open. The passenger window when it tried to close went back down. When I tried to close it again, I think that happened again, but eventually it went all the went down and refused to come back up.

I do hear a click from a relay or solenoid in the doors when using the switches so it seems like something is getting power. I've scheduled an appointment w/the dealer for tomorrow...

Are you guy's failures a mix of 04 and 03s?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:49 PM
SilverstoneZ

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I had the driver's side power window totally fail on Sunday (stuck closed) but then today when I tried to closer the passenger side one, it failed too, but is stuck open. The passenger window when it tried to close went back down. When I tried to close it again, I think that happened again, but eventually it went all the went down and refused to come back up.

I do hear a click from a relay or solenoid in the doors when using the switches so it seems like something is getting power. I've scheduled an appointment w/the dealer for tomorrow...

Are you guy's failures a mix of 04 and 03s?
I have an 03 and have this problem....

I went and got it fixed a couple weekends ago. The TSB covers removal and cleaning. Well me being the lucky one, my motor and reg were both dead and had to be replaced. $461 to fix everything.

I had a few choice words with them stating my opinion on a 2 year old car having this problem and knowing a good amount more 350z's have had this problem also.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
bama6speed

to take off the door panel first take off the screw from the handle behind the window switches, then pop off the switch panel from the back first (if you do it from the front it can break the plastic clip). The next screw is behind the door latch handle. pull it back and there will be a black plastic plate it pops off then look down in there and you will see another screw after that the panel will pop off. this is for the driverside,the passenger side is alittle diffrent...... if your window goes up and on auto then goes back down 1/3 to 1/2 all you need to do is reset the window motor. if you really want to know i can post it
Old 06-16-2005, 05:39 AM
MA4

yes, how do you re-set the window motor?
Old 06-16-2005, 06:10 AM
marco_mendoza

yeah, how do you reset the motors?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:03 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

my passenger window will come down 1/2" when door open but won't go up, unless I close it with the switch. Do you think reset the motor will fix this?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 AM
SJTrackZ

I'm actually taking my Z in today to get this fixed. I believe they are replacing the motor. My driver side window is the one acting funny.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:03 AM
babi350zgurl

I've got the same problem on my passenger window. When you pull the window button to roll up automatically, it goes to the top and rolls half way back down. But it will roll up if you hold it. Does anyone have this problem?
-Alex

Quick Reply: My power windows are driving me insane on this car