Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ga tint laws are stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 AM
fixdrummer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Savannah Morning News:

Starting today, police officers will again enforce a Georgia law that limits the tinting allowed on vehicle windows.

Since the late 1980s it has been illegal to have vehicle windows tinted that do not allow at least 32 percent of the light to pass through.

But the previous law, which applied only to a vehicle's side windows and exempted cars registered in other states, was stricken by the Georgia Supreme Court last year.

Now, the tinting rules will be enforced for out-of-state visitors in addition to natives. And the new law also restricts the tint darkness on the rear, side and door windows.

The law went into effect on May 1 but the Georgia State Patrol allowed a one-month grace period during which it issued warnings to motorists violating the new rules.

In Savannah, however, at least a handful of citations have been issued since May 1 during stops when drivers were cited for other violations.

Violating the tinting law is a misdemeanor traffic offense, which carries a fine up to $1,000 and/or 12 months in jail.

Police hope the month-long warning period gave drivers the chance to correct their window tints.

"It was a grace and educational period," said Sgt. Mike Wilson, a spokesman for the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department.

Workers at local window tinting shops say they have been swamped by car owners who want to ensure they are in compliance with the law.

"We've seen extreme numbers," said John Almeida, who works at Audio Link in Savannah. "We've been backed up for two weeks in advance... We've started taking deposits for appointments."

The law provides penalties for the car owner, as well as for the business who installed the tint.

Law enforcement say all the ruckus over the law is for good reason.

"It's a safety issue, period," said Wilson, explaining that tinting makes it hard for officers to see into a car during a traffic stop - and for drivers to see out while they're driving.

"We know that the darker the tint, the more it reduces the visibility of the driver."
Old 06-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Lerxst

Originally Posted by Low J.
that's why they ask you to roll down your window

They have no right at all to treat all citizens as if they are potential lawbreakers. It's bad policy that belongs in gestappo regimes....not here..
Actually it's to see if you're about to blow him away before you roll down your window. But hey... what's the value of a few lives (and their friends & family's) compared to having your windows tinted a little darker?

Traffic laws wouldn't actually be within the scope of the Gestapo, but who cares about technicalities, right???

I guess we'll agree to disagree...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM
ClaytonC01

Yeah, PA's tint laws really suck... but that doesnt stop me from tintin out all my vehicles... i hate when ppl look at me when im drivin... it happens alot in the Z..
Old 06-02-2005, 01:40 PM
KenWH

I understand the safety aspect for law enforcement but from what I've read on the new GA tint law, it seems more like a revenue builder than a safety issue.

What raises a red flag to me is the fact that they will also target out of state vehicles. Now if their was a nationally enforced(federal) tint limit I could understand GA's position on this, but seeing how different states allow different tint levels, I can't see how this is considered "fair" by GA. I guess GA expects everyone going through their state to stop and have their tint removed before they enter the state.

Plus the news article quoted here in an earlier post stated they will also enforce the limit on rear windows. Heck, most pickup trucks, suv's and mini-vans come factory with tint much darker than 35% on the rear-side and rear windows.

If the idiot lawmakers really want to make the roads safe. They need to go after drunk drivers and the alcohol industry like they did with the tobacco industry. I've never seen anyone have one too many cigs then plow into a van full of kids.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:20 AM
Lerxst

Originally Posted by KenWH
I understand the safety aspect for law enforcement but from what I've read on the new GA tint law, it seems more like a revenue builder than a safety issue.

What raises a red flag to me is the fact that they will also target out of state vehicles. Now if their was a nationally enforced(federal) tint limit I could understand GA's position on this, but seeing how different states allow different tint levels, I can't see how this is considered "fair" by GA. I guess GA expects everyone going through their state to stop and have their tint removed before they enter the state.

Plus the news article quoted here in an earlier post stated they will also enforce the limit on rear windows. Heck, most pickup trucks, suv's and mini-vans come factory with tint much darker than 35% on the rear-side and rear windows.

Good points... can't argue there.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 AM
pgh2atl

The law says that cars/trucks that come from the factory already tinted will be excused from the law. Also, anyone with a medical condition that require them to have tinted will be excused with the proper medical documentation.

I agree with the out-of-state argument. To enfore this law on those states that don't have a tint law or the law is different there is ridiculous. There are a ton of Florida drivers (with super dark tint & FL plates) here in Atlanta. I can understand the law enforcement saftey issue, but to fine those from other states for the law is stupid.

Best thing to do is to not get pulled over. I'm pretty sure this is an 'add-on law' where if they pull you over for something else (speeding, reckless driving, etc), they can cite you for this as well. I really don't think officers will be pulling people over mainly for the tint.......
Old 06-03-2005, 09:50 AM
KenWH

Originally Posted by pgh2atl
The law says that cars/trucks that come from the factory already tinted will be excused from the law. Also, anyone with a medical condition that require them to have tinted will be excused with the proper medical documentation.......
Still not fair for those who's vehicle had little or no tint as oe. If oe 20%(which is common) is legal the on rear and sides...so should aftermarket.

I do agree, don't give a GA cop a good reason to pull you over. I doubt that you will get pulled over just for tint, unless they need to make up some revenue shortfalls for the month. Just watch your speed and agreesive driving while passing through GA.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Machupo

Originally Posted by KenWH

as a good GA trooper said to me one time when I was there for a couple months... "Son, if you don't want to abide by the laws of our state, you had better just drive around Georgia from now on". Sux for FL folks, lol. That reasoning just pisses me off the more I hear it...
Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
HotImportGirl
Banned

A few years ago on SI, an officer approaching a vehicle he had pulled over blew him away through the tint, ever since then, theyve been extremely strict on tint. I admit I had 5% tint all around once & I couldnt see out on very dark roads unless someone had a light on. I was literally pulled over everyday for this tint [but I was dating a police officer at the time so no tickets for me] I can see where theyre coming from but 20% isnt that dark. I had 20% on my eclipse & constantly got pulled over for that too. I havent tinted the Z yet but I like not giving cops around here a reason to pull me over. :/
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 PM
lebby-pooh

anyone in ATL been pulled over yet for tints?

are they strictly enforcing the tint law or will they just mention it if you get pulled over for another citation

I've had 5% tints for about 6 months now and I'm surprised that I haven't been harassed yet since I do alot of daily driving.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Kaitain

I don't think anyone in the F-State has legal tint. In fact right before I got mine done I went around parking lots looking at other cars' tint and holding the little tint comparison chart up to them and only 2 of them in all the lots were legal.

I've got 13% on mine and when I got stopped for a roll-on-stop the cop didn't say boo. He also didn't give me a ticket thankfully for the roll-on-stop, I think he was just looking for drunk drivers.

The tint looks A LOT darker in the pictures than it does in person though. You can easily see inside during the day. That and the fact that I want to cut down on morning glare is why I'm going to get the front done next, maybe 35%. You won't really be able to tell that it's done it'll just look like it's darker in the car because of the side windows. A buddy of mine had 5% on the sides and back of his truck and 35% on the front and it looks bad ****. Looking at his you can't tell the front has been tinted so I'm hoping that holds true for my car too.

Here are some pics:

Click for larger Image

Old 06-03-2005, 02:43 PM
2003z

Originally Posted by pgh2atl
I agree with the out-of-state argument. To enfore this law on those states that don't have a tint law or the law is different there is ridiculous. There are a ton of Florida drivers (with super dark tint & FL plates) here in Atlanta. I can understand the law enforcement saftey issue, but to fine those from other states for the law is stupid. .
But, it is the out of state issue that got the old law turned over to begin with. Someone argued before the state supreme court that since out of state drivers weren't affected by the old law, the law was unfair to georgia drivers.

btw, I was in California driving with FL plates (legally, I was in the military) and got pulled over in mojave for tinted windows, nothing else. I got a ticket too and had to remove the tint. CHP said anyone driving through the state is subject to CA tint laws, so its not just GA.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Qbrozen

oh... so the lower the percentage, the darker the tint? I didn't realize that.

Sorry... nothing to add to the discussion, just wondering out loud cause I posted that the original guy should be ok with 20%, but I guess not.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
flapmeisterz

Something doesn't add up here. If your car isn't registered in GA and you aren't licensed in GA, there's no legal way they can get away with requiring you to abide by their tint law. I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that if the state that you are licensed and registered in allows 5% tint, then that's what you deal with. I see a strong potential for out-of-state folks fighting this and winning.

Same way they can't possibly require you to have a front plate if your state doesn't require it. Just not possible for them to apply their state laws to your car if it isn't registered in their state.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Machupo

unfortunately it is IN their state, so they can force it to NOT be in their state or to change to their rules
Old 06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

6/6/2005 @ 7pm

TV commercial warning us that troopers are being provided tint "testers" and that they will be inforcing the new law. It showed a trooper using the device and warned about the ( potential ? ) $1000 fine and EVEN POSSIBLE JAIL TIME !!

Never seen a TV commercial like this before.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Stailey

in Cobb County they're crackin down everywhere... especially Barrett Parkway (if you know cobb county u know that road)...
Cops will pull you over just for your tint. I've already had a few friends pulled over for the offense. Problem is they actually spent a shitload on their tint (not an ordinary tint job, they actually have some artwork/graphics worked into them). Im still going to tint my car 20% all around, i know a few cops that can help out and get rid of the ticket for me...
Old 06-09-2005, 01:07 PM
vtec923

I live in Cobb County thanks for the heads up...I have 20% silver tint but I drive with the windows rolled down all the time.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by Lerxst
Actually it's to see if you're about to blow him away before you roll down your window. But hey... what's the value of a few lives (and their friends & family's) compared to having your windows tinted a little darker?

Traffic laws wouldn't actually be within the scope of the Gestapo, but who cares about technicalities, right???

I guess we'll agree to disagree...

I just don't agree that treating EVERYONE like a potential cop killer makes any sense whatsoever. Use this same logic to ban curtains/blinds on your home and see how happy that would make you. Plenty of cops get blasted walking in the front door of houses....they should be able to see in your home right? Not hardly.......
Old 06-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Kaitain

Originally Posted by Stailey
in Cobb County
Isn't Cobb County the speed trap capital of the universe? That and the little town in Florida, Waldo I think it is.

Quick Reply: Ga tint laws are stupid!