Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ga tint laws are stupid!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:30 AM
fixdrummer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ga tint laws are stupid!

Ok, so 3 months ago I get my windows tinted on my Z, 20%. which was legal at the time. now they passed a law if you have tint darker than 35% you will be charged with a $1000 fine and/or one year in jail. this is crazy. the state of Ga passed a law in 04 that banished the tint law, now one year later they decide to reinstate it.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Low J.
Banned

all tint laws are stupid......we've got 35% here too and it's not even worth getting honestly because you can't even tell the car is tinted. Since when do the cops need to see in my car when I'm not a criminal??? I never understood tint laws......
Old 06-02-2005, 04:06 AM
mpowers

+1
Old 06-02-2005, 04:10 AM
donricouga

i have 35% tint. Its pretty dark imo. Although i have Chrome silver Z so it contrasts well. Still, i didn't know you could go to jail. Are you sure about that ? I always see cars with really dark tint around here in Atlanta. That would suck to tell your boss that you have to take a year "leave of absence" because of your window tint !!!
Old 06-02-2005, 05:03 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have a tint law here also, but no one abides by it and the cops dont usually enforce it.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:13 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that it's really messed up. Two yrs ago when there was a law, it wasn't enforced...now all of a sudden they have their azz all in your face about tint?? Get real Ga...go catch criminals!!
Old 06-02-2005, 05:15 AM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tackett
we have a tint law here also, but no one abides by it and the cops dont usually enforce it.
here they only enforce it if you give them a hard time, as with the front lic plate law.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 AM
Lerxst

I wouldn't want to be a cop having to approach a car where I couldn't see inside.

I luv tint... but I can see where they're coming from. Plus I want all the hot babes to see who's driving the sweeeet ride...
Old 06-02-2005, 05:47 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by fixdrummer
Ok, so 3 months ago I get my windows tinted on my Z, 20%. which was legal at the time. now they passed a law if you have tint darker than 35% you will be charged with a $1000 fine and/or one year in jail. this is crazy. the state of Ga passed a law in 04 that banished the tint law, now one year later they decide to reinstate it.
Huh? So you have 20% but the law says nothing over 35% .... so you are free and clear. No problem.

But, yeah, I agree, tint laws are pretty dumb. I bought my Z used with tint on sides and rear (I have no idea what percentage). I'm surprised that I have yet to receive a ticket for it here in Jersey (where we are not allowed ANY tint on the front sides!!).
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 AM
pgh2atl

Unhappy

I got 35% percent down on my SB Z earlier this year. 35% is pretty dark, especially since I have black leather interior. When it’s cloudy out or at night, you can barely see inside the car.

The tint shop that I had the tint installed at warned me that the law was coming back. They also gave me a card that shows that the window tint is 35%. They said that if I ever get pulled over, show that to the officer along with whatever else he requests. Should keep them from wanting to check it with their tint device. Your installer should have warned you. It seems that the law allows police here to check the tint with a special device. Most law enforcement agencies will give you a time frame to get it removed, but I’m not how that works here in GA (that’s how it was when I live in PA). The way it was explained to me, now it seems that they are allowed to pull ANYONE over, even if you have out-of-state plates with tint (sorry all you Florida people). Plus they can go after tint shops that install anything darker than 35% as well. So it seems the days of really dark tint may be gone here in the ATL.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:22 AM
southern_info

I totally agree with GA tint laws and any other state for that manner. What if you had all this work done to your car and money invested into it. It would be like window shopping for a thief in a candy store. He can see all your goods inside your car with no probs and those how have 35%. That's all they need is a flash light to see in any car easily. I have 5% on my windows and I think anybody should have the right to have there windows as dark as the want them to be tinted. Think about the Limo that the president rides in, now you know the tint on that is 5%, if not 2.5%. I bet the government wouldn't dare to bother pulling over the pres. The government is full of ish if you ask me anyways. You get tax when you get paid, then you get tax when you buy something. How many freaking times they are going to tax the dollar. Somethings the government does is just plain stupid in their way to regulate individuals like you and me. Like 85+ mph is fast...com on' I'm from Germany and we average 130mph on the highway...Let me stop venting because I can keep going....lol The government gets the finger you throw up when you don't give a **** Government
Old 06-02-2005, 06:23 AM
VeeTec

The original law, which was 32%, was thrown out in a DUI case under appeal.

A new law was written with wording to make sure that cars that were from out of state were included. The old law was too vague, according to the judge hearing the appeal.

The new law is 32%, just as the old law was.

Lawmakers began working on a new bill as soon as the old law was thrown out by the appeals court, so it was only a matter of time.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:24 AM
2003z

The didn't pass a law in '04 banishing the tint law, the state supreme court overturned it on a technicality. Everyone knew, or should have known it would be fixed in the next legislative session. Your tinter should have told you. I do agree the new fines are overly agressive though.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 AM
VeeTec

Originally Posted by southern_info
I totally agree with GA tint laws and any other state for that manner. What if you had all this work done to your car and money invested into it. It would be like window shopping for a thief in a candy store. He can see all your goods inside your car with no probs and those how have 35%. That's all they need is a flash light to see in any car easily. I have 5% on my windows and I think anybody should have the right to have there windows as dark as the want them to be tinted. Think about the Limo that the president rides in, now you know the tint on that is 5%, if not 2.5%. I bet the government wouldn't dare to bother pulling over the pres. The government is full of ish if you ask me anyways. You get tax when you get paid, then you get tax when you buy something. How many freaking times they are going to tax the dollar. Somethings the government does is just plain stupid in their way to regulate individuals like you and me. Like 85+ mph is fast...com on' I'm from Germany and we average 130mph on the highway...Let me stop venting because I can keep going....lol The government gets the finger you throw up when you don't give a **** Government

5% is a safety issue, especially in the rain, and the dark.

As far as seeing in your car, the Officer does have a right if you have been stopped, as it is a major safety issue.

You talk of speed, our freeways are not designed as well as the autobahn for high speed, and our drivers certainly haven't been trained as well as German drivers.

I lived in Germany, and the speeds you talk of would require a restructuring of our entire freeway system, so that high speed travel would be safer.

The license system here is a joke in comparison, and our drivers should have to go to school for a minimum period of one year, and pass a rigorous driving test, which would include an extensive defensive driving portion with panic braking, evasive maneuvers, a wet skidpad, etc.

This system would have to be in place for some time before limits were raised, and even then, they should only be raised away from urban areas, as they are regulated at 100-120kph, roughly 62 mph to 74 mph, in the urban and suburban areas of Germany as well, due to traffic volume.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 AM
CAN0802

If I have this story right, there was a law in place, and you got tint on your car. Now, after the fact, they make a law where the tint you have on your car is illegal. If this is correct, all you have to do is prove that you had the tint on your car before the law was enacted. Ex Post Facto if I recall the term correctly. There was a problem in Texas with this in the mid 80's, which is why if you look at Texas tint laws, there are two different laws, depending on the year of your car. I would hold on tight to that certificate from the tint place, as it will be your only way out if you get called on it. Having said that, I will also tell you to brace for getting called on it regularly, as it is the law for you now. Should your window get broken, and you decide to retint it, it must then meet the current law as it stands on the books the day you tint it. I'm no lawyer, but you can check with one if you get sited on it, they would love this case.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:51 AM
methylal

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/
Old 06-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by VeeTec
As far as seeing in your car, the Officer does have a right if you have been stopped, as it is a major safety issue.

that's why they ask you to roll down your window

They have no right at all to treat all citizens as if they are potential lawbreakers. It's bad policy that belongs in gestappo regimes....not here..
Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pgh2atl
I got 35% percent down on my SB Z earlier this year. 35% is pretty dark, especially since I have black leather interior. When it’s cloudy out or at night, you can barely see inside the car.

The tint shop that I had the tint installed at warned me that the law was coming back. They also gave me a card that shows that the window tint is 35%. They said that if I ever get pulled over, show that to the officer along with whatever else he requests. Should keep them from wanting to check it with their tint device. Your installer should have warned you. It seems that the law allows police here to check the tint with a special device. Most law enforcement agencies will give you a time frame to get it removed, but I’m not how that works here in GA (that’s how it was when I live in PA). The way it was explained to me, now it seems that they are allowed to pull ANYONE over, even if you have out-of-state plates with tint (sorry all you Florida people). Plus they can go after tint shops that install anything darker than 35% as well. So it seems the days of really dark tint may be gone here in the ATL.
So let me get this straight. If your passing through GA from FL with 5% tint the cop can pull you over and give you a $1000 fine or jail time? If that's the case it's freaking ridiculous and I don't see this law being held up.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
pgh2atl

I'm sure that they could, but unless your doing about 100 mph & weaving through traffic like a mad man, I'd figure they wouldn't bother to pull you over for tint. Most cops don't enforce it unless its a part of another reason for being pulled over. There are TONS of cars here in GA with tint & license plates from all over the country. 5-O here has way more to worry about than pulling people over for tint. Plus that's leaving the whole 'racial profiling' door open for people of color here. I've seen it happen in Virgina, thats the last thing GA wants I'm sure......
Old 06-02-2005, 09:24 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I've lived near Atlanta for 15 years. I've also had many friends and co-workers with tint > 30% (including myself and my son).

It HAS BEEN a RARE occurance to be ticketed or pulled over on this infraction. I would say that your chances of getting a ticket are very slim.

I also think that the $1000 is probably the MAX that they can fine you. Most judges and local jurisdictions would probably accept less.

When in doubt, roll your windows down.....and not necessarily all the way.

Quick Reply: Ga tint laws are stupid!