Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z has major problems!?:( what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 12:12 PM
imntcrzy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z has major problems!?:( what should I do?

So my 350 has about 2500 miles in three weeks and now I have a major problem.

This saturday I installed the grounding kit that I made, let me say that this does work ( smoother revs, seems to rev a tad quicker). The following day I notice that I heard the radiator fans constantly running and the sweet smell of radiator fluid. Temp seemed fine so I drove approximately 5 miles and noticed the temp rising. I pull over and my new Z is steaming and radiator fluid is all over the front of the engine. The top radiator pipe is hot, the cap is hot, but the radiator is cold in all areas. Seems like the radiator either sprung a leak or maybe a tube got disconnected. Anyways I wait and add 2 liters of water and drive for about 2 miles...... same thing again.

Anyways the car is now at the dealership. I'm sure they will fix the radiator problem, but I need to know what caused this. I am also very concerned because my new nissan in 1995 had a similar problem and never ran the same afterwords. In fact after about 50,000 miles the motor went out and I had to replace the entire block. (yes I did run with water and tried not to let it run too hot)

What do you guys think I should do? I'm afraid of valve seals, water jacket, head gasket and other problems that may arise out of the overheating problem. To my knowlede the temp never went all the way to H but it did get close.

I hope nobody else will have this problem
Old 12-02-2002, 12:51 PM
k2we

I hope you didn't damage anything installing the ground kit.. Could you see where the water was leaking from??

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY
Old 12-02-2002, 12:58 PM
Z33Fan

Did you happen to check and see if you knocked off the radiator overflow reservoir hose when you installed your grounding kit? This could have caused the problem.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:11 PM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Z33Fan
Did you happen to check and see if you knocked off the radiator overflow reservoir hose when you installed your grounding kit? This could have caused the problem.
That's what I was thinking.

And did you actually overheat the engine? Or did the radiator blow before the temp got too high?
Old 12-02-2002, 01:15 PM
imntcrzy

I was very carefull when I installed the grouding wires. Also the heat went to about 90% and I shut it down. Didn't want the car stuck on the freeway.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:23 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they dont blame it on the grounding kit(which they might try depending on the problem) then you could argue for a new engine entirely, or an extended warrenty or something of that sort.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:31 PM
imntcrzy

they told me the radiator mysteriously poped a leak from the back and is spewing fluid.

they will replace the radiator and all belts... but will not do more than that. They claim the nissan fail safe modes protect the engine from things like overheating. But new aluminum block engines with new valve seals tend to scare my when a car overheats.

I want them to do a compression test.... do you guys think that will be sufficient? what else can I ask them to do to make sure the motor is O.K.? Do you think a leak down test is necessary. I want to ask them for a new motor but don't think I can get one unless I know how to justify it
Old 12-02-2002, 02:02 PM
vin1024

Originally posted by imntcrzy
they told me the radiator mysteriously poped a leak from the back and is spewing fluid.

they will replace the radiator and all belts... but will not do more than that. They claim the nissan fail safe modes protect the engine from things like overheating. But new aluminum block engines with new valve seals tend to scare my when a car overheats.

I want them to do a compression test.... do you guys think that will be sufficient? what else can I ask them to do to make sure the motor is O.K.? Do you think a leak down test is necessary. I want to ask them for a new motor but don't think I can get one unless I know how to justify it
maybe you can try and get an extended warranty thrown in.