that is wierd..
i have an 05 enthusiast..
and i've gone through more wheels than you could shake a stick at
and never had the light or buzzer go off
knock on wood
Old 12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Lemans350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No warning for me either, if you pick the TPS from the display it just shows "---"
Old 12-14-2005, 04:52 AM
SkiTTlez

wow old thread! anyhoo an update....i can drive all day long without the light coming on if i am driving in the city. if i get on the the highway and do 70 for over 30 minutes straight, on pops that f***ing light.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:08 AM
StillAlive2029

everytime i get in my car, the light is always on and the guage always defaults to the (--) showing that there is not tps in my wheel...but i have to puch the button to get it to go to my mph just like as if it were cold outside and i had to reset that or is the DTE was low and reseting that...i just hate getting into my car and puching that and VDC before i drive anywhere
Old 04-15-2006, 08:47 AM
epuccio

since i live in CO, i decided to keep the stock rims/snow tires for winters and just bought 19s/summers. no need to keep taking the tires off the rims if i don't need to. i'll reply later to let you know about the TPMS, light, sound or nothing. i called nissan, the stems are $125ea... freakin' rip off.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:33 AM
SmokyTyrz

Ok, so I did tons of research on this when purchasing my 06 GT. I had Volk TE-37s sitting in the garage ready for the car before the car even arrived in the states. Like you, I was worried about the TPMS error system on the dash.

This is the low-down, the skinny, the final-word:

If you remove the TPS sensors and touch nothing else, then when you drive for the FIRST time you will see no errors. But after 30-40 miles of sustained 45+ mph you will get the error buzzer, the TPMS dash light under the fuel gauge, and the multi-display will automatically switch to the TPMS readings to show "---" symbology.

The next step is to have your dealer disable the buzzer and prevent the multi-display from automatically switching to the TPMS-readout. Then you will only get the TPMS light under the fuel gauge. It will blink for a short period of time after you start the car, then go solid. But it will stay on.

As of this time there is NO WAY to programmatically disable the TPMS light under the fuel gauge unless you black it out or remove the LED. Some day I will take the cluster out of the car, pull-up the instructions on how to replace the gauge faces, and then follow those instructions only to the point where I can get access behind the gauge face and then put a black sticky BEHIND the TPMS light transparency on the gauge face. (not on the front, obviously because it would look cheap and stupid)

You WILL get the light after a period of driving. Some of the folks reporting that they get no light are driving earlier models. The 03+ models equipped with TPMS WILL give you the light no matter what else you do.

The only other way to avoid the light is to never drive for sustained periods at highway speeds. The confusion about the TPMS light stems from the fact that MANY folks drive only in-town. Thus they never cross the threshold for engaging the light. Then they come on the forum and say "I never get the light" and unintentionally give people false hope.

Alternatively if you want to wear your motor out quickly you can start your car 4-5 times without going anywhere and this will reset the TPMS light back to "off". (The Z's computer determines that an error is no longer occuring if it completes 4-5 startups with no further error signals, so it turns off the light).

Of course, once you drive for an extended period of time at sustained highway speeds then the light will return anyway.

And the icing on the cake is that the TPMS sensors are garbage. They are equivalent to having metal valve stems and will leak in super-cold weather. They are also fragile. One can only hope that when the laws pass in 2007 which will require that ALL vehicles be equipped with a TPMS-type system that the engineering and build-quality of these sensors will improve. Until then it is a pot-shot. Yours may not cause problems, or they might. You just never know.

Cheers, and good luck!

-Smoky
Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Mathys

Originally Posted by epuccio
since i live in CO, i decided to keep the stock rims/snow tires for winters and just bought 19s/summers. no need to keep taking the tires off the rims if i don't need to. i'll reply later to let you know about the TPMS, light, sound or nothing. i called nissan, the stems are $125ea... freakin' rip off.
I would be interested to know if there is a cheaper option to put the transponders in my summer wheels AND winter wheels...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:16 PM
SmokyTyrz

Get the TPMS sensors off of eBay or something and use them for your winter wheels. That seems to be the cheapest path.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:18 PM
lex350

I'm selling mine on Ebay right now. With all the tires and wheels too

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
epuccio

Okay here's the deal based on 3 weeks of driving without TPMS be used with my new wheels. The tire pressure monitor shows "--" for Front and Rear (right and left) pressure at all times. It's never deviated. The low tire pressure light on the dash has only come on once after a 50 mile drive doing on average 80 mph. The ear piercing alarm/noise/screech has never come on since I've replaced my wheels. It's safe to say the TPMS system in the Z reacts differently per vehicle or year of the Z.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:02 PM
HighwaySpeed