Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Pikes Peak video with HARD track footage..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 01:20 PM
john0213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Jay, thx man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, can u teach me how to do it?
i mean how to download it
Old 06-24-2002, 02:32 PM
NissaNZ

Talking

Damn Jmanz that 's a fast *** connection I was getting 182KB/s with cable nice, thanx.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:39 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay, when I downloaded the 9.8 MB file it took only one sec. so I knew it wasn't right. It was only 157 kb. I then tried to unzip it and it said it wasn't a valid file?
Old 06-24-2002, 04:44 PM
kroams

I agree that the suspension probably should be tighter for driving that aggressive. Anyone driving that hard probably will lower the car and do some suspension mods anyway. Thanks Jay for zipping the files so we can download them!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:49 PM
wxtornado

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Jay, when I downloaded the 9.8 MB file it took only one sec. so I knew it wasn't right. It was only 157 kb. I then tried to unzip it and it said it wasn't a valid file?
Doc, that happened to me the first time also - try it again!
Old 06-24-2002, 05:59 PM
iMR2

the purpose of coilovers is not to constantly change your ride height. How many times do you change out your springs to change the ride height? Hardly right? Why would you think coilovers are any different just because they allow you that option? Once you're set with the ride height get it aligned. If you every change the ride height you have to realign like you normally would when you change out springs to lower/raise a car.
Lighter weight and dampening/rebound adjustabilities, choosing you own spring rates and being able to corner balance are some notable advantages. TEINs are awesome.
Old 06-24-2002, 06:18 PM
DUKE

Thanks JmanZ for the Zip files.

Does anyone know what track that is?
Old 06-24-2002, 07:58 PM
AtlZ

how do the throws look for the shifter? to me they look pretty short and precise, but then, i havent driven many manual sport cars. 5th and 6th look far away. what do you think?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:06 PM
ITZBITZ

Originally posted by VQracer
Surprised by the amount of body roll. Looks like TEIN coilovers it is.
Actually, based on this video, the car's suspension looks terrible. The bouncing through the corners with the audible loss of traction and all the body roll does not look good at all. I can't see how that is going to handle crisp and tight with all that slop in the suspension.

I definitely will not buy one of these cars without driving it first, and driving it like it will be driven. The first video I've seen of the car going over 20 mph and it looks sloppy and loose.

In short, those videos do not show a good light on this car.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:40 PM
gmoneyr1
Charter Member #47

Seems that my car won't look bad at all... Glad someone finally found some footage... Thanks!!
Old 06-24-2002, 08:55 PM
TalonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the Z in the video is a beaten-up test mule. That would explain the less-than-impressive road handling.

Also, the hood-to-fender joints look w-a-a-a-y too big for my comfort, aesthetically.

The shifter throws look short, but they also look notchy.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:03 PM
iMR2

When you have a tight suspension, everything moves. You feel the road. If you're hoping for a ride where the car doesn't feel bumps, I might suggest a different car, but certainly not a true sports car.
When you have a tight suspension the shocks and springs are put to work, which is good in terms of suspension performance.
If everything else moves the car is in bad shape. A properly set up suspension will not transfer most the energy absorbed from the road to the driver, instead the suspension should take the beating. Feeling the road and riding along with the road are 2 different things. I'd rather feel it, than float along with it. The Z looks to be fitted with soft sprung springs which is typical of most cars directly for the factory. Looking at the stats it seems like there are more touring models being ordered. Somewhat comfortable springs would be more suitable for an all around mass produced car. Those that want sport setting will have to look to the aftermarket.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:57 PM
ITZBITZ

My point exactly. This car looks very softly sprung to appease the mass-market they're targeting. And wheel hop at the edge of the friction limit of the tires is very bad. This car has 18 wheels and should have almost no sidewall bounce. Seeing the body move like that makes me think of a fat chick in aerobics class.

If they offer a suspension package on the car (with warranty, like TRD) that gives stiffer rebound and less feedback to the body, that would be worth it if you're going to track the car. Because all the press materials say that the track model and the touring model have the same suspension? If so, prepare for NISMO or other conversions to coil-overs.

Feeling bumps and riding waves are two different things. In my current car ('01 MR2 Spyder), you feel the bumps and it's a rough ride. Not as rough as my wife's 02 Maxima SE, but I'm not using to a mushy American sedan. I'm using to a car that weighs 2100 pounds wet and has no bounce to it at all. And it rides and handles like a go-kart.

From the video, the 350Z looks a bit portly to be blunt. And like I said, before I make the switch, I'm going to have to drive it the way I intend to drive it and make my decision based on a production track model.

Just my two cents (that makes four sense, or no sense, either way).

Old 06-24-2002, 11:45 PM
John

The suspension didn't look all that bad to me considering how many dips are in the road. If you want coilovers, beware of a few things. Higher spring rates will help you with your cornering, but a dip in a turn will throw your car off-balance much more and won't absorb the sudden change in road surface. Most coilover manufacturers don't have the shock valved perfectly for the spring, so just beware. If your car is purely a track car, then need not worry...

And why does everyone keep on mentioning Tein? They produce a nice coilover system, but not the best. Plus we don't know how quickly any of these manufacturers will be able to R&D a coilover setup...

John, who has had 500lb/in coilovers for 3 years now in his street car...
Old 06-24-2002, 11:48 PM
nissan03

Arrow Observations

Look at these videos for comparison...

(Large)
http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia.../350z_2003.mov

(Small)
http://www.nissannews.com/multimedia.../350z_2003.mov

- The white Z seems to be on a VERY rough road... A Nissan test track to give suspensions a heavy workout? And it's going pretty fast. I drive on some pretty bad roads, but I've never seen ANY car bouncing up and down that badly.

- The silver Z is driving slower, but is definitely more stable. It's also on a road closer to what we'd be driving on everyday.

- Every major review of the G35 sedan has praised its tight handling... I have a hard time believing that either G35 will handle better than the Z.

- The white Z is most likely pre-production. Maybe that's why NNA hasn't released this video? The hood fit and finish doesn't look that good, but the silver Z, and just about any other picture or video I've seen, has looked OK.

- Until we read the reviews, see an actual production model in action, and more importantly, actually drive the car, this is all just speculation... Just like the delivery dates.

Just my 350 cents.

Last edited by nissan03; 06-24-2002 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:59 PM
John

Default Re: Observations

Until we read the reviews, see an actual production model in action, and more importantly, actually drive the car, this is all just speculation...
Well said...
Old 06-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Kahanakyu

Default The engineers are still pulling the midnight oil

I spoke to the testing technician at the Danville event and he specifically said that the model is almost 100%. They are still adjusting minor things like the flimsy Nav door and cupholder. They are still considering the material or texture for the interior and its' consistency throughout the cabin. Two important things he did mentioned was that Nissan engineers are still NOT satisfied with the engine "purr" and the suspensions. They are still working on them. So cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Kahanakyu
Old 06-25-2002, 01:43 AM
king

It's very close to the production date already. (maybe already started) And they are still working for changes on suspension? Will it turn out that the 2nd year z have a dif suspension that the 1st year?

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak video with HARD track footage..