Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Heads up on 15,000 mile service!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:58 PM
green tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because it falls under the basic warranty/bumper to bumper warranty of 3yr/36k. Unless Nissan has some cheap *** shady warranty compared to every other car company.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:03 PM
DaveCSparty

Our warranty doesn't give us free maintenance.... I'm getting confused
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 PM
jackwhale

Silver Racer: You need a new dealer. I wouldn't trust them to do quality work if they don't even know what work needs to be done. It might be interesting to call around to other dealers in Houston and ask them what they charge for the 15K service.

I feel lucky that my dealer is honest and seems to do good careful work. Ar another dealer closer to my office [Concord Nissan] the service manager is rude and condescending. If they won't take the time to answer my questions, I don't trust them to know what they're doing.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:18 PM
green tea

Originally Posted by DaveCSparty
Our warranty doesn't give us free maintenance.... I'm getting confused

My audi/vw gave me free warranty on my cars. Heck, this is the first time I ever heard of a car company not giving free maintenance on the basic warranty period, which is 3yrs/36k miles for the 350z (not surprised if its only Nissan that does this )
Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by Silver_Racer
You are the second person to say that. I still don't understand how this would be warranty.?.?
It might be that theyre local Nissan sold them a "service" contract included in their original contract giving them free oil changes and tire rotation/balancing..etc.. sort of how firestone does the alignment contract for free alignments for a contract fee...
Old 06-12-2005, 12:27 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by green tea
My audi/vw gave me free warranty on my cars. Heck, this is the first time I ever heard of a car company not giving free maintenance on the basic warranty period, which is 3yrs/36k miles for the 350z (not surprised if its only Nissan that does this )
Your Audi and VW were the exception. BMW also gives free maintenance during the warranty period and that's about it. Almost ALL other manufacturers DO NOT and have NOT. Toyota, Honda (and Acura), GM, Ford, Porsche (!), and Chrysler definitely don't.

Mitsu recently added a 3 yr/45K mile free maintenance plan since their sales were (and still are) hurting so badly.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/202050.html http://www.mitsucars.com/MMSA/jsp/sa...anty.jsp?num=1

Even Mercedes supposedly dropped it recently and make you pay for maint. packages. See http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100772.

edit:
According to http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20030224a1.asp
"Saab, Lincoln, Audi and BMW will even pay for a new-car customer's scheduled maintenance costs. Saab and Lincoln pick up the maintenance tab for three years or 36,000 miles. Audi and BMW treat their customers to free maintenance for four years or 50,000 miles." So, it looks like it's only the above + VW + Mitsu [for part of your warranty].

Last edited by cwerdna; 06-12-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:59 PM
dd55

Originally Posted by green tea
because it falls under the basic warranty/bumper to bumper warranty of 3yr/36k. Unless Nissan has some cheap *** shady warranty compared to every other car company.

The basic idea of a warranty is to cover defective parts only. Maintenance of a car does not fall into the category of defective parts. If the maker of your car offers free maintenance for x amount of years it is a bonus to make you lean towards buying their cars. That being said, Nissan does not have a cheap *** warranty, they just have a standard one. I think there are just as many car makers out there that dont give free maintenance as there are ones that do.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM
jackwhale

'Free maintainance' isn't as free as it might seem. It has to be included somewhere in the original price of the car. If free maintainance appeals to buyers or causes someone to select a particular brand of car, everybody wins. The manufacturer sells the car and the customer feels good about the free maintainance.

The regular service [oil, filter, inspect a few things] at Dirito Bros Nissan dealer in Walnut Creek is $28. so even if they gave me a coupon for 10 'free' services it would only be a savings of $300.

Warrantees aren't free either. They're also included in the price of the car. Warrantees are very attractive for buyers because they are spared the sudden large expense when something breaks during the warrantee period.

Another 'hidden' cost is when manufacturers lower the original price of a car and then jack up the price of parts. If you sell your car before the warrantee expires then the increased cost of parts doesn't matter to you. Of course you pay for the large depreciation over the first 3 years.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:19 PM
atar350

I just rolled past 10K (I drive alot) and I'm going to keep this in mind, "No, just change my oil".
Old 06-12-2005, 04:17 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by dd55
I think there are just as many car makers out there that dont give free maintenance as there are ones that do.
There are more car makers that DON'T give "free maintenance" than ones that do.

The "free maintenance" on the makes where they do provide it don't cost that much on a normal (non-German) car anyhow. It's mostly just oil changes and inspections.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:54 PM
nitrousoxidex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for those people who have no cats, you think theyd get u in trouble for having no cats on the car? they wont report u to the police or somethin rite? haha
Old 06-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like they want to charge $500 to put in my Rotora front brake kit.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Masterfulks

My local dealership tried to tell me that Nissan recommends getting the car aligned every 7k or so. I asked if it was covered under warranty and how much it would be. "No not covered, and its about 200". I told him if the car needs that then I'm trading it in somewhere else tomorrow....

Then they say "well Nissan requires some of this and if you dont do it, it can void your warranty." I replied "they'd have to prove that my lack of service caused the problem".

Happens pretty much on every visit.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:06 PM
zh.guitar
Leave your mark!

I paid $300 for the 15k service......but it included recalibration of the flux capacitor so I thought it was a good deal..
Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
jackwhale

Masterfulks: So far as I know Nissan requires that we basically take care of our cars in order for the warrantee to apply. If it isn't in the owner's manual then we don't have to have that extra work done. I would also speak to the Nissan representative if they give you extra things that need to be done to maintain the warrantee.

When I read these things I realize how lucky I am to have a dealer that I can trust.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:26 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by zh.guitar
I paid $300 for the 15k service......but it included recalibration of the flux capacitor so I thought it was a good deal..
LOL...

at power nissan in torrance, they asked me if i wanted the regular 15k maintenance or the premium which cost 139.99. the difference between regular and premium was 1. fuel additive & 2. free roadsite assistance for 60 days.
1. i dont fill arco's
2. i have AAA

i went with the "regular" 15k maintenance and paid $84.99

- happy camper
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 AM
VinUnleaded

Be glad you dont own a BMW!
$150 for a 15K service is nothing...when I owned my BMW 3 Series, service was "supposidly" free during warranty.
Yeah right...not the parts!
Of which BMW of North Houston always seemed to charge at least $100 for every part replaced.
I went in with a dead battery and left with a $300 bill!
$90 for a super duper officially sanctioned BMW battery
$100 for testing to see if indeed it was the battery...duh
$110 for the labor
Can you say ripoff?
Don't even ask what the service costs are for BMW...
Just because you can afford an expensive car doesnt mean your IQ has dropped while your income has risen.
No wait, thats BMW's motto!
Never a BMW again...nice cars but evil Service Departments.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:23 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by VinUnleaded
wow thanks for that info vin.. now i have a reason to dissuade my fiancee from getting one...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:28 AM
BOZ23

Originally Posted by desiZ
wow thanks for that info vin.. now i have a reason to dissuade my fiancee from getting one...
Me 2. My wife was wanting a 3 series but we new the maintanence would be expensive.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:46 AM
boma

Originally Posted by VinUnleaded
$150 for a 15K service is nothing...when I owned my BMW 3 Series, service was "supposidly" free during warranty.
Yeah right...not the parts!
Of which BMW of North Houston always seemed to charge at least $100 for every part replaced.
I went in with a dead battery and left with a $300 bill!
$90 for a super duper officially sanctioned BMW battery
$100 for testing to see if indeed it was the battery...duh
$110 for the labor
Can you say ripoff?
Don't even ask what the service costs are for BMW...
Just because you can afford an expensive car doesnt mean your IQ has dropped while your income has risen.
No wait, thats BMW's motto!

Wow I know where that dealer is. Thank goodness I'm not rich enough to own one. hehe.

Quick Reply: Heads up on 15,000 mile service!!