Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swaybar extravaganza

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
jun14scr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swaybar extravaganza

Last April, I accidentally ran over a curb @ a TSCC auto-x event. After close inspection in the parking lot, everything look OK to drive home and I did. The car drove fine, sure, the alignment was probably off, but I was happy that nothing horrible happened to my car. Well, as I was trying to install my swaybar today, I came across a problem.

Here's the new swaybar, so pretty. Ordered it Monday from BJ and it got here today! Awesome! (picture 1)

So as I was taking off the belly pan, I noticed how scratched up it was and the damange incurred by the 6" tall square curb. After I removed it, I realized how lucky I was as to not have hit the oil pan! (picture 2 and 3)

I started removing the swaybar brackets, starting on the passenger side. Great! Easy!

Next was the drivers side. Wait a minute, why can't i fit my socket in here? Wait, why is this bracket bent all out of shape! Damn it! I can only get three out of four bolts off!! (picture 4 and 5)

It seems as the swaybar took most of the impact from the curb, and it had bent the brackets 3/4" off center! Well, now I started to ponder how the hell I was going to get this bolt off.
Attached Thumbnails swaybar extravaganza-swaybar1.jpg   swaybar extravaganza-swaybar2.jpg   swaybar extravaganza-swaybar3.jpg   swaybar extravaganza-swaybar4.jpg   swaybar extravaganza-swaybar7.jpg  

Old 06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
jun14scr

Alright, so nothing would fit in there besides a wrench. The problem is, it's impossible to get enough leverage to get this over torqued bolt off! The swaybar was in the way, the oil pan was in the way, the alternator was in the way. What the hell should I do? I was about to wip out the sawz-all

Then a light chimes in, I figured I would try to wiggle the sway bar off since the other side was disconnected. (picture 1)

Well, the swaybar wouldn't come off completely (3" still left) because the angles of it and the oilpan being in the way. Damn it! HOWEVER, it had given me enough room to get leverage with the wrench!

Miraculously, I was able to get the bolt off. YAY!

Here are the brackets. Compare them (picture 2)

So, I needed the sway bar on by tomorrow since I have a multi-day event down in Danville that I had already paid for. I make a trip to the dealer but to my dismay, they do not have the part. I asked how long it would take to get in, and the parts guy says a few days. Well, I don't have a few days, can you overnight it? "Sure," replies the parts man.

$20 later, I have a brand new sway bar bracket coming tomorrow by 11. Phew. Got lucky this time!

Moral of the story - do not hit curbs.
Attached Thumbnails swaybar extravaganza-swaybar6.jpg   swaybar extravaganza-swaybar8.jpg  

Last edited by jun14scr; 06-16-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:00 PM
apexi97tsi

HAHa! Congrats bro! After the first post I was going to suggest the sawz-all but you took care of the issue already. Have fun @ the track!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
MADDOG`

i wuz thinkin' a torch would work but ya got it off, dude. good for you. now stay away from the curbs!