Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Wobbling idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 04:04 PM
tware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbling idler pulley

I've got a cold start screeching noise and so far two dealer visits havent addressed it (new belts and now a new AC compressor). So I changed my oil and while running the car without the lower cover (doing the leak check thing), I noticed the driver side pulley wobbling like mad. From the top, its clearly visible, but when seen from the bottom, you can really see alot of movement in the belt. You can see it better because you can see the belt coming from the compressor and over to the crank, just easier to see the full scope of the wobble. I cant believe two dealers didnt notice this, but I've been living with it for at least 8K or more. Perhaps closer to 10k.

It was hard to diagnose because once the car is warm, it doesnt make a peep. But clearly it just had to be looked at.. Instead of leaving my car overnight repeatedly for a cold soak start. :/

Ok, to my question... Does anyone think that a seriously wobbly pulley for 10K will have reprocussion for the crank? I just got a new AC compressor, so I'm not worried about it... but I dont know if the vibration would have an effect on the seals or bearings on the lower end.

This kills me because every Nissan I've owned has had bad idler pulleys within 30-40K. Yet every dealer I've talked to acts like they've never replaced one (even when my Pathfinder had a TSB for it)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 AM
vincei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, dealer said it was fixed but came back the next day. I am bringing it back this week to get my axles replaced so I'll mention the idler. It's a really embarrassing noise!! Sounds like a beater!!