Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My search for a Z might be over....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:08 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My search for a Z might be over....

I have pretty much given up finding my "perfect" Z. I don't want to order new and take the depreciation but I can't find used the way I want. I visited Infiniti yesterday and the loaned me an 05 G with everything....I mean everything. They are asking $41K rollout which is almost exactly what they would ask for a comparably loaded Z give or take a grand (maybe 3). The G does however come with 19" forged alloys which makes up that couple grand difference. I figure if I am going to get new, I might as well go all out. I want to know if it's difficult to put in an aftermarket head unit. It looks as though it has to be custom and then I wonder if they can match the factory aluminum trim. There areally are no gripes about the G. It's just right. Everything is spot on. Plus, if I ever do have a kid, I got the backseat which will be good until he is about 10 if I even have the car that long. Is modifying the G any more work than the modifying a Z. Everyone says it's all the same but I am sure something has to be different somewhere.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:31 AM
max255

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it, the thing i like about the coupe is the sunroof
Old 06-25-2005, 06:32 AM
max255

o yeah by the way where in houston do you reside?
Old 06-25-2005, 07:12 AM
TK2005

Default On ths side

Originally Posted by max255
o yeah by the way where in houston do you reside?
I live in the Katy/Copperfield/Cy-Fair area. It's weird. My physical address is in the city of Katy. I am in the middle of the Cy-Fair school district. Everything around me says Copperfield HEB, Copperfield Wal-mart, and so on.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:33 AM
Jaki

I say if you want the Z, then keep searching for it. You will eventually find one you like. Also if you plan on modding it, there's a little bigger aftermarket support for the Z than the G. Also for the amount of money you would save on a used Z compared to that new G you could go out and get a turbo kit for the Z.

Now if you want more luxury then I'd say go for the G, but if you're buying the car mostly for modding, then I'd suggest the Z.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:37 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Jaki
I say if you want the Z, then keep searching for it. You will eventually find one you like. Also if you plan on modding it, there's a little bigger aftermarket support for the Z than the G. Also for the amount of money you would save on a used Z compared to that new G you could go out and get a turbo kit for the Z.

Now if you want more luxury then I'd say go for the G, but if you're buying the car mostly for modding, then I'd suggest the Z.
did you dyno your car yet? results? 1/4 mile time?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

41k ...That is a lot to spend if you were considering the used Z.

Why not wait for the 06's?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 AM
TK2005

Default It is a lot compared to a used Z

It may be a lot compared to a used Z but it is about the same as a new one. Plus if you thought finding the "perfect" used Z was hard, try finding the "perfect" used G. It also seems that G's hold their value better. Some people on this site are still looking for that sub $20K 350Z. The car is only 3 model years old. I don't understand how a car selling for roughly $39K new (touring 6spd w/nav) is selling for under $25K now (03 touring 6spd w/nav). $15K depreciation just 2 years later on a car under $40K is unacceptable. The G on the other hand, $41K new, after two years of use is still demanding at least $34K for any trim. Considering buying a new car is never a good investment, it seems I will lose less going with the G that costs just a little more up front.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you keep the car for more than a couple years, the resale value differences between Z and G will even out. It's supply and demand, probably fewer G owners are parting with their cars so quickly compared to Z owners (possibly due to some of the issues plaguing the 03 Z's). But in 5-6 years, there will be more of both cars up for sale used...
Old 06-25-2005, 01:21 PM
lane myers

well, i am really confused about your post... at first you say that you dont want to order new because you dont want to eat the deperciation, but then you say, if you're going to buy new you might as well go all out. then you say that the dealer is going to give you a fully loaded g, and then the first thing you ask is about taking out the head unit and modding it - why buy the fully loaded one if you want to change a lot of things - just get cheaper model g.

its funny how the infiniti dealer's talk about the nissan cars - they stil great cars but... lol... i have a z and my folks have an fx45, its amazing how a clock on the dash can go to people's heads . the g is a much nicer car when it comes to luxury than the z, but not performance - the nissan dealer will be the first to tell you that.

it sounds like infiniti dealer was able to get your really exciting about the g, along with letting you drive it - i think you should wait a little a while - look at both and then make a decision. i mean you were looking at buying a used z and now getting into a new g - agaisnt the reason you didnt want to buy new anyways.

patience will get you out of this.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:41 PM
TK2005

I will still avoid buying new if possible but it doesn't appear to be possible. So I figure might as well get what I want to the "T". Unfortunately the way Infiniti's options work doesn't, you don't get to add items line by line. You buy packages. The 6MT automatically come with sport package which include the 19" forged alloys and suspension. The navigation is in its own little world. The rest of the options come in what they call the premium package. This includes the Bose 6 disc changer, heated seats, sunroof, and little gadgets like the rearview mirror with more options than some Hyundais. They won't let you remove the Bose system by itself. The aero package which consists of front and rear lips. Believe it or not, the spoiler actually is optional. The only things you can add item by item are the trunk mat, splash guards, and that may be it. If somethings I say seem to contradict other things I have said it's because some time has elapsed and things have changed and it doesn't seem that way online because days worth of posts are all slammed right up next to each other depending on which one was replied to last (which I really like, admins). Speaking about that clock on the dash, it lights up real cool at night. Maybe patience will get me out of this but I am not willing to give it much more time. I might hold out a month or so more....maybe til the end of the year even to get a better deal but by then the pickins will be slim.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
ZinMiami

I don't know, but in my area a new Z is not going to add up to $41K.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:00 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
I don't know, but in my area a new Z is not going to add up to $41K.
Call and get a price on a touring 6spd with nav, aero package, spoiler, and all other options. My buddy got one almost $39K.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:57 PM
gdirty5

why dont you get the aero and spoiler after market? Those dealers rip you off on options
Old 06-26-2005, 08:54 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I felt the same way then one day my car now poped into my life. Just keep looking.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Turbogt
I felt the same way then one day my car now poped into my life. Just keep looking.
Track model with Nav, huh? You lucky bastard. Hope I get as lucky.