Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do 350z's handle in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Lerxst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lightforce18
would it be bad if I left winter tires in summer?
Winter tires have a soft compound which will wear down quick on dry pavement, plus the performance isn't as good as some good sticky summer tires.

Probably around $50 to swap tires on your rims. Swapping the wheels on the car you can do yourself for free... I'd think about $20 by someone else? Plus you've got to get the wheels out there too.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:07 AM
Qbrozen

Originally Posted by SEzzz
if you don't buy a z because all these people tell you it can't be driven in the snow....i'll be at a loss for words...
Most of us are not saying it CAN'T be done, only that it should not be done on the stock tires. Most folks have been telling this person to get snow tires if he wants to drive in the snow, and that's the best advice.

And it seems that most folks who ARE successfully driving in the snow are doing so on snow tires. go figure.

To the originator - personally, if I wanted after market wheels, I'd probably buy a nice set with summer tires, and a cheap set with winter tires. Then I'd sell the stock wheels and tires to recoup some of the money. If you get a Z with stock 18s, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with the stock 17s who'd want to buy them.

My reasoning for not keeping the stock wheels and putting snow tires on them is, first off, as someone else explained, thinner is better in the snow, so the wide stock wheels will cut back on the effectiveness on the snow tires. 2nd of all, wide 18" snow tires would be very expensive.

Last edited by Qbrozen; 06-29-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Asterix

I may as well add my 2 cents...

If you have a base with no LSD and an auto tranny, park it.
If you have an auto tranny, park it.

I've driven my '88 Supra with a positrack LSD in it many, many years in snow, ice, sleet, etc, and only left the road once, and that was because I did something stupid.

My Z sucks in the snow because of the crappies tires I have ever experienced. With good tires, it'll surely do just as well as my Supra.

It takes practice and a clutch to make a RWD car work nicely in the snow, especially with wide tires. The clutch is necessary because it allows you to feel what's going on with the rear wheels better, and control the power better, too. Plus, if the rear is coming around, you can shove in the clutch and the rear should settle down and come back into line. While I have little experience with an auto in the snow, I can't imagine it giving you the control necessary to keep the rear end in line.

With an LSD, you can also put one rear tire off on the gravel shoulder and get good traction.

Going very slowly is never the best idea. If you don't have any momentum, you'll never get up even the slightest incline. Keeping your speed at 20-25mph will give you good momentum and let you get up hills.

If you're deathly afraid of any sliding, stay off the street. Even in the best of circumstances you must be willing to get a little sideways. That's where the practice comes in. Watching people freak out because you had to go up that hill slightly crooked is fun. It takes a lot of finesse with your right foot to control the car, which comes with practice. The circle of traction is so small, very small inputs are needed to stay inside.

Asterix
Old 01-03-2006, 11:41 AM
EriksonFL

where did u get the ski rack?
Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Vamos_Rafael

the Z is terrible in the snow
well its terrible in the rain alrdy
so its #BAD
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jvanquish
the Z is terrible in the snow
well its terrible in the rain alrdy
so its #BAD

A c'mon ! Rain is fun !

If you still have some thread off course....
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Kolia
A c'mon ! Rain is fun !

If you still have some thread off course....
it slides around in the rain and the rear tires doesnt grip at all when u give anything but minimal pressure to the pedal...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it slides around in the rain and the rear tires doesnt grip at all when u give anything but minimal pressure to the pedal...
Yes!

Try and lift form the gaz and it goes also...

But it's the fastest way to loose 10lb I've found so far !
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Kolia
Yes!

Try and lift form the gaz and it goes also...

But it's the fastest way to loose 10lb I've found so far !

i find that...
i am the worst driver (figure of speech)
and someone good needs to teach me how to drive
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 PM
zmespeed

if you put winter tires on it, like me, it's awsome...until the snow gets up to the front bumper.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by zmespeed
if you put winter tires on it, like me, it's awsome...until the snow gets up to the front bumper.
mmm...
my front bumper is about 3 inches off teh ground...
not alot of snow will do me in lol
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Additional Information Location:
IL

It looks like lightforce18 never did get a 350Z.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
zmespeed

btw you can fit two snow boards in the car plus all the gear for both people all in the hatch ends of the snow boards are right behind the head rest. nuthing up front.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:25 PM
zmespeed

mmm...
my front bumper is about 3 inches off teh ground...
not alot of snow will do me in lol
haha ya then your a snow plow. all you need is the jacket "Z-PlowKing"
Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by SEzzz
i have a base without TCS and the VDC, no problems driving in the snow besides clearence. i hear a lot of people say that it's impossible to drive in the snow. i think that's because no one knows how to drive in the snow in this country. go spend a winter in europe
+1, I 100% agree. When I had stock tires I really didn't have major problems. It all just boils down to the driver.

Heres some helpful hints that I've posted in the past.

Originally Posted by bamyi
I drive mine in the snow all the time. For the most part, it handles well IF you know how to drive in the snow. However, snow tires do help alot. I use continental x-treme contact and I find that its a excellent all around tires for all seasons. Heres a link to another thread on this same topic:https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/144998-snow-tires.html

My first adivce is to get driving lessons on how to drive in snow. I pass so many ppl stuck with their SUV while I just cruise by in my Z.

Here's some tips: Others can add in or correct me if I'm worng.

1.Keep traction at all times, go as slow as you have to. 10mph is better than 20mph into a brick wall. If you lose control, don't slam on your brake, just gently apply the brakes. Steer the tires to where you want to go. Once the car slow down enough, release the brakes (your car at this point is going slow enough for the tires to get traction) and the car will travel in the direction the tire is pointing. This is hard since instint will tell you to slam on your brake and once you do that, its over.

2. Always look at WHERE you want to go not what you're going hit. Your body naturally will steer to where you are looking. So if you're sliding toward a pole, DON'T LOOK at the pole but at the "exit lane". Ever wonder why that in the middle of no where, ppl hit telephone poles where it's the only structure around for miles?

3.Be gentle with the gas and the brakes. Absoultly no rapid acclerations or braking!

4. With the Z, start in 2nd gear. Some have found that if you start in 2nd gear and with TCS/VDC off, you get a smoother accleration. I have yet to try this so I can't comment.

5. Avoid hills, especially ones with traffic lights, but if you have too, enter the hill at a safe constant speed. Once you find the comfortable speed as you're climbing the hill, stick with it. Don't acclerate or slown down.

6. Keep good maintenance of your tires, if you have to, lower your psi a few pounds.

Also, do a search on the net for more driving tips. Good luck and drive safely.
Heres some thread on snow tires that will help you.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=continental

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=continental

Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zmespeed
btw you can fit two snow boards in the car plus all the gear for both people all in the hatch ends of the snow boards are right behind the head rest. nuthing up front.

190 cm skis will also fit inside the 350Z.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
JunJTan

undrivable..
Old 01-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by JunJTan
undrivable..
Just go really really slow
Old 01-03-2006, 03:06 PM
bamyi

Its amazing to see all these people in non-snow states trying to say that the Z will crash and blow up into smitterenes once a snow flake lands within three feet.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by bamyi
Its amazing to see all these people in non-snow states trying to say that the Z will crash and blow up into smitterenes once a snow flake lands within three feet.
I am FROM a terrible snow state
and I concur that the Z is #terrible

Quick Reply: How do 350z's handle in snow?