Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

s2k vs the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Orange Peel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I whooped on an S2000, The newer ones are slower, They don't rev till 9 grand but they have a little more low end. The older ones were way faster at higher speedsbut not at low speeds. Handling on the new ones is supposed to be better though than the original s 2000, But hey they are supposed to be coming out with a hardtop that's lighter so the s 2k mmight be super baller fast like the z. But if the Current s2000 and the Z are about the same and it's a "driver's race", i must be an extraordinary dirver cuz that thing was way back in the rear view. MAn i just felt validated I must shift well ahha!
Old 07-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supercelicagt
I had a Z and now own the S2000.

Looks - Very slight edge to the modern look of the Z, but the S looks great top down.
Power- Basically even, but the power surge at 6000+ rpms is a plus in the S.
Gearbox- Easily the S with its smooth, short shifts.
Handling- Edge to the S for exciting feel and grip, but the Z feels very planted in turns, too.
Overall- If you want a coupe, go with the 350Z. However the S2000 is the better sportscar and is not as common as the Z.
Please compare apples to apples. Forget about the coupe, the Z roadster is far less common than the S2000.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Where I live, S2K are everywhere. When I first saw them, I thought they were just another new generation miatas and quickly looked away. I won't go into performance because I believe they are even and it's all about the drivers. So I'll just go to the looks...

I have a Lemans sunset and man, does it ever get attention. This car is a chick magnet. My co-worker has a S2K and when we go for lunch in his car, we get no reactions. When we go in my car, we get:

1. cat calls from girls
2. "holy ****", and "Sweet car!", etc. comments from guys.
3. The lingering stares.
4. The Head following looks.
5. The many questions at the stop lights.
6. The looks from all sides when you are in front at intersections.
9. The shark-like way cars swim around you to look at your car.
10. The awsome feeling you get when the girlfriend of a guy in an M3, etc. is staring at your car while her boyfriend driver is trying hard not to look like he saw you (lol).
11. And guys, all you Z owners should know by now, the awe that you feel the people have when you do a left turn in a big intersection, when all cars feel like they stopped to see you parade yourself by them. Guys, I don't know if it's the Leman's Sunset paint job or what, but If you want attention, It's the Z. Let's give it up for this awesome car
Well said, although color does have a lot to do with it. My Daytona ZR is a jaw dropper too. You'd think it was a Lamborghini, Aston, Ferrari or something. Let's face it, in terms of looks, this car just ****ing rules!!!!
Old 07-02-2005, 05:17 PM
coo69foo

question... i ve only test driven the base model 6 speed manual which has 287 hp i believe... is there much of a difference in the Track model wit the 300hp and the 35th with 300hp... or u cant even tell the difference?
Old 07-02-2005, 08:45 PM
twotonetrack

I own a 350z track model that I have modded significantly. I have driven the S2000 several times and have one answer to this question:

I wish I would have bought an S2000. I have had far too many warranty repairs to justify the 35k spent. The S2000 has Honda reliability and does not drive so damn heavy. Also, there is nothing more fun than a 9000 rpm redline.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:51 AM
coo69foo

[QUOTE=twotonetrack The S2000 has Honda reliability and does not drive so damn heavy. Also, there is nothing more fun than a 9000 rpm redline.[/QUOTE]

i agree on the Relability....... an yes i did enjoy an have fun wit the high RPMs takin it too the red line an stuff u have more room to play with.. but i still love both cars ...i need too drive the Z again.. an then i m going to make a choice.. or wait for the 06 Z an the 06 s2000 see if there are n e changes that ll make a difference in my choice.. thanks
Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 AM
HeelnToe

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...ree/index.html is an interesting comparison article. Forget the ranking order, as obviously everyone has different priorities, but the differences they point out are educational.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:44 AM
imoz

Originally Posted by coo69foo
I agree on the Reliability, and yes i did enjoy and have fun with the high RPMs taking it to the red line and stuff - you have more room to play with. But, I still love both cars. I need to drive the Z again. And then I'm going to make a choice, or wait for the 06 Z and the 06 s2000 and see if there are any changes that will make a difference in my choice. Thanks.
Fixed it for you. What's up with the ghetto-speak? Please buy a Speak N' Spell.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
imoz

Originally Posted by twotonetrack
I own a 350z track model that I have modded significantly. I have driven the S2000 several times and have one answer to this question:

I wish I would have bought an S2000. I have had far too many warranty repairs to justify the 35k spent. The S2000 has Honda reliability and does not drive so damn heavy. Also, there is nothing more fun than a 9000 rpm redline.
To your point regarding Honda reliability, check out this story on NSXFiles.com:

Chapter 106 - Honda Abandons Pulp Racing
Old 07-03-2005, 04:18 PM
tienlo

Pros of the S2000
1) 9000 Rpm scream
2) Lighter, so more nimble
3) 9000 Rpm scream

Pros of the 350z
1) More car for your money
2) Solid torquey engine

Moot points
1) similar straight line speed
2) looks depends on your own opinion

I would say the S2000 is faster than the Z around a track and in the hills stock for stock, I mean i struggled to keep up with a stock Integra type R yesterday.

You can always upgrade elements of the car you feel need improving so get the base model which pleases you the most.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:15 PM
redmonkey1212

Here is a little video of comparison of the Z and s2k
http://www.racingflix.com/downloadvideo.asp?v=1055
Old 07-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Boosted521

i'll join the group... i made the choice between the s2k and the z myself. i drove both the same day, back to back at the same dealership. i've always owned hondas so i thought the s2k was going to go home with me. i drove it first... it was a fun car to drive. the shifter felt really nice and i actually liked the small feeling of the car. i hated how you have to shift at 5k+ rpms to get the car going.

as soon as i drove the z i knew i was getting it. the tq felt really good and i loved the interior. the actual feel of the car felt better than the s2k. all around, it was just a better driving car.

the looks of the z also helped in my decision. the z looks very nice and with few exterior mods it can look even better.

as for popularity of the cars in my area.. both are rare. however there are a few more s2k's than 350's. and i've yet to see another redline besides mine.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:09 PM
diatomik

Actually, the post 04's have the same HP and more TQ, so they are faster, this has been beaten to death already. There is never going to be a coupe S2K, this has also been beaten to death. Additionally, a coupe S2K wouold only gain weight as oppose to loose weight since the X-frame of the S2K does not rely on simply reinforcing weak points such as the windshield, therefore there's no weight to cut.

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
I whooped on an S2000, The newer ones are slower, They don't rev till 9 grand but they have a little more low end. The older ones were way faster at higher speedsbut not at low speeds. Handling on the new ones is supposed to be better though than the original s 2000, But hey they are supposed to be coming out with a hardtop that's lighter so the s 2k mmight be super baller fast like the z. But if the Current s2000 and the Z are about the same and it's a "driver's race", i must be an extraordinary dirver cuz that thing was way back in the rear view. MAn i just felt validated I must shift well ahha!
Old 07-06-2005, 02:50 AM
coo69foo

so all in all, both car are great cars, but its just what you want out of the car. I consider both cars very different after test driving both of them. I'd get both cars if i could afford them haha but i can't do that. I'm going to drive the Z again, and see what I decide. The s2k is a great car though, light fun, quick sports car, a great thrill to drive with the top down on a twistie freeway. The Z i love the low end torque, and nicer interior, feels more stable, maybe because of its weight! but thanks for all the advice here, this forum is a great place and has alot of good info.