Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

S2K race

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 06:40 PM
troutfishin02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K race

Hey ya'll, I've been on here since before any of us had our Z's, and I know (got sick of, in fact) the hype about the s2k vs Z wars that were waged on this forum...
Well, I finally raced one, today.
And I don't want to make this a "kill" thread - since I got my car in the middle of October I've won races against a Boxster, two Audi TT's and a couple Z3 BMW's (not even really races, those) a couple of TA's/Camaro's, and a shitload of Mustangs and fast and the furious-type ricers... well, not really F and F type ricers, the ones that just LOOK that way, with fartcan exhausts and all the stickers
I've LOST several races, too - a guy in a modded WRX killed me off the line but didn't pull on me, because of the launch, mainly, and a guy in a modded TA pulled on me like I was driving a Yugo, he said later that it was an 11 second car and that he regularly beat Vipers and Z06's in it.... and a guy in a Viper at a rolling start dusted my ***, too (of course) - didn't expect to even have a chance in THAT one...
But today, through three red lights, I took a stook. The guy was awesome, complimented me on my car, and I complimented him on his as well, the s2k's are just sexy as hell, and it would be nice to have a removable top - but bonestock vs bonestock (I cut my resonator off and put in a straightpipe, that may have gained me 3 hp, but that's my only performance "mod")...
The Z won... and won, and won.
I'd love to try racing in the twisties - and when we were done, I'd like to trade keys and drive the stook.... great car, but it's a half a shade beneath the Z.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Mrsideways

I wouldn't advising trading Keys unless your close friends with the guy. S2K's are tricky cars at the limits. Everyone who's driven mine has spun it. My friends that used to drive my miata on a regular basis don't even ask for the S2K keys because quite frankly they are afraid of it (asked a friend who's dying to own one to drive it somewhere for me to help me out and he down right refused it for fear of wrecking it). The car should come with a warning that says experienced drivers only cause I've read alot of posts from people saying "my god I was turning casually in the rain and it just spun into a telephone pole". It's called oversteer and 99% of the cars you can buy you won't get it to happen on accident except the S2K. I let a friend that has plenty of experience driving SAE cars and shifter karts, fun run mine at an autox last week. He spun the car while only driving at 7/10ths (I was riding with him). His reaction was amazing, He couldn't believe how quickly it came around. No offense to your driving abilities I'm just warning you should the occasion ever arrive for you to take one for a spin. BE CAREFUL.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:52 AM
rai

I don't know what it means to spin a car while only driving 7/10ths unless you make a mistake because by definition 7/10ths is not near the limits of a car (10/10ths is the limit I think )

I haven't spun yet but did fishtail (my mistake). I guess I have only been going below 7/10ths.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:30 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I find S2ks to be very very well balanced at the limit. I took a friends around Putnam Race track for a session and it was quite stable. The car was completely stock and was on the stock Bridgestone Potenza SO2s. I must be an experienced driver according to you then (of course I've been racing for 14 years).
Old 01-10-2003, 03:42 PM
troutfishin02

Default trading keys...

I wouldn't really trade keys with the guy, I'd be worried about messing up his ride, and I'd frankly be worried that he might mess up mine - but after finally meeting up with one, I REALLY was impressed by the s2k...
There's a guy with a yellow one that I keep passing going the other way on my commute/lunch hour, he's next, maybe he'll hit the shifts just right and I'll be the one posting about how I lost (I'll do it if it happens Rai, I promise)!
They're both cool cars, and you can't be hatin on either on of them, I guess is the bottom line.

Peace.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:52 PM
rai

I used to be all about the numbers : "how fast can it go ?" But since I've been driving my S2000 I've never tried to race anyone. I'm just happy to be driving and having fun. I guess I may be a little afraid of being embarrased by a mustang or whatever. If I had gotten a Z06 (big dog) it might have been different.

For me the S2000 is a fast car. I feel like I'm going fast. I also don't feel like I have to drop clutch at 8000 rpm to prove anything.

The S2000 is really not about 0-60 (even though it has been clocked at 5.2 sec or whatever). It's about fun driving. At least for me.

Old 01-10-2003, 09:09 PM
SWATE-Z

I was just at the track tonight, first time I took the Z, and when I was in line someone asked me if I wanted to race an S2K. I gladly accepted knowing that the Z could easily handle it. But when he pulled up I heard a slight hum coming from his car. Turned out he had a 100-shot of NOS in it that night. Needless to say, he raped me. He ended up running a 13.67 so there wasnt much competition. I know how much Z owners hate admitting to losing to the S2K but I thought this one was an exception.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:19 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SWATE-Z
Turned out he had a 100-shot of NOS in it that night. Needless to say, he raped me. He ended up running a 13.67 so there wasnt much competition. I know how much Z owners hate admitting to losing to the S2K but I thought this one was an exception.
Hehehe, with a 100-Shot, he should "rape" you. Nothing to be embarass about . Now, if he was a real man , he should race you stock vs stock .
Old 01-10-2003, 11:09 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I autoX'd in my friend's S2000 (in the rain even), and while it was much more likely to come around than the Z, it wasn't bad at all. It seemed like it was easy to tell when it was breaking loose, and it wasn't too difficult to correct (and I can't even maintain a drift properly). Maybe in a racing situation it's different because you are expecting to come loose at any moment, so your reactions are quicker. Anyhow, the S2000 was totally fun to drive, and I would gladly borrow the keys from anyone who was lending.

-D'oh!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:25 AM
SilverStreak

I was just at the track tonight, first time I took the Z, and when I was in line someone asked me if I wanted to race an S2K. I gladly accepted knowing that the Z could easily handle it. But when he pulled up I heard a slight hum coming from his car. Turned out he had a 100-shot of NOS in it that night. Needless to say, he raped me. He ended up running a 13.67 so there wasnt much competition. I know how much Z owners hate admitting to losing to the S2K but I thought this one was an exception.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should tell us the time that you ran. Also he said for the run he ran against you he didn't spray. He ran a 14.1 without spraying. What did you run????

There are two sides to every story
Old 01-11-2003, 09:22 AM
negcamber

Originally posted by SWATE-Z
I was just at the track tonight, first time I took the Z, and when I was in line someone asked me if I wanted to race an S2K.
LOL...was it a blue S2k?

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=99459