Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do the rear speakers even work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do the rear speakers even work?

After 3 months with the car, I realize that the rear speakers barely output any sound. On the same volume level, adjusting the fader between the front and the rear speakers, the rears don't do anything I know it's probably for the acoustics of the car's cabin, but it's almost as if there are no rear speakers. Plus they sound so much crappier than the fronts.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 AM
the7ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they work but in the stock stereo they are 16 ohm vs. the front which are 8 ohm.
The lower the number the less ressistance and thus the more power able to get through the speaker which produces more sound.

Once you swap out the factory speakers for new ones you will hear them and suddenly enjoy them.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:46 AM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

What ferret said
Old 06-30-2005, 05:12 AM
King Tut

The fronts are components whereas the rears are a simple 2 way setup. You can fade it to the back and turn up the volume if you want a more even setup front to rear. I know with my full JL Audio system that the rears are now louder than the fronts on the same output level from my amps because they are much closer to your head so I just adjust the output on the amps to equalize the sound.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:40 AM
FCallender

I agree with Ferret, too. The rears are pretty cheap but, by putting some decent biaxial speakers back there, the sound improves dramatically. One or two notches favoring the rear gives an expanded soundstage. Best bang for the buck IMO.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:12 AM
OutsiderZ5

I agree! Regardless of what sound system you have in your Z when you purchase it, Bose or not, it's not the greatest in the world.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
supermuff

Default what type of speakers to get and size?

What is a good brand and a fair price. All you have to do is swap old with new or is there anything else as well?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:17 AM
the7ferret

Most everything is better than stock.

it depends on how good you want it to sound; thier are components that range from $100 a set to $1600 a set.

I got some MMats Pro Audio Components they cost me about $700 per set however they are crystal clear and give me as much bass as a single sub would. Depends on what you want to spend.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:18 PM
supermuff

Default still confused

so if i buy a set of 200$ kicker 6.5 speakers with out an amp and a factory stereo it will sound better. These speakers are 4 ohms. Will that be ok?Should i just replace the factory stereo? What is easier? Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

if i were you, i'd just buy a set of front component speakers, anything will do, I like Alpine myself. Than get a Head Unit (Deck), which ever one that will have enough power for your new speakers. And if you are like me, than bass is a must, so just add a 10" or 12" sub.

If you get a good deal on all those parts, you can have everything and installed for $400-$500.

ps: i only recommend not replacing the rear speakers because they are quite close to your ears, so you don't want to have too much power going into them, or the rear speaker will overpower everything.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by supermuff
so if i buy a set of 200$ kicker 6.5 speakers with out an amp and a factory stereo it will sound better. These speakers are 4 ohms. Will that be ok?Should i just replace the factory stereo? What is easier? Thanks for all the feedback.
Is price an issue? How much are you willing to spend and what do you want out of it? Bass? Clarity? An even "surround" sound?

The easiest things to do would be to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and find a nice inexpensive headunit which they'll install for free if it's over $100 I believe. That should improve the evenness of the sound but you'll still need to swap out the stock speakers if you want a noticable improvement.

And yes, technically all you need to do is get a set of 6.5" speakers and put them in. It's super easy to do yourself and should only take a few minutes. But I agree with the others that the front speakers are more important. However, they're more of a pain to install and will be more expensive.

But if you just want a cheap quick upgrade, get a pair of 6.5's and swap them in the rear.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Vertex350

Does anyone have a DIY on how to change the rear speakers? I've seen one DIY that required removing all the plastic panels in the back. It doesn't look "easy" to me.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rommel350z
Does anyone have a DIY on how to change the rear speakers? I've seen one DIY that required removing all the plastic panels in the back. It doesn't look "easy" to me.
I got my rear speaker from Crutchfield. They included a details description of how to remove the side panels.

If you have the Nissan doc, just follow the instructions.

Word of advise: to remove the two upper storage compartement, no need to use a screwdriver and ruin the finish ! Just grab the vents on the upper face of the box and yank it.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 AM
the7ferret

I did my own speakers
Its easy, just a lot of panel popping and be careful and take it easy. I chipped a part of my panel luckily its covered by another...

plus getting int he car at those angles can be a little odd
Old 07-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Vertex350

Originally Posted by Kolia
I got my rear speaker from Crutchfield. They included a details description of how to remove the side panels.

If you have the Nissan doc, just follow the instructions.

Word of advise: to remove the two upper storage compartement, no need to use a screwdriver and ruin the finish ! Just grab the vents on the upper face of the box and yank it.
Thanks for the advice Kolia. I'll be sure and yank it... the vents I mean.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
supermuff

Money isn't a problem but i don't want to get crazy. I have a kicker amp and 10" sub installed already. Should just get a nice deck and four 6.5 speakers. Sounds like this is the way to go. The question i have is will this really make a huge difference. Don't want to put a 1000 into the car for nothing. I would like it to sound clear and loud.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:21 PM
SekZee

i got a deck, and replaced the rear speakers with Infinity's 6 1/2, 2-way speakers... threw in the 4 channel amp i had from a previous car... and ordered a 10" MB Quart sub, enclosure, and an Audiobahn mono amp.

I dont understand why ppl even buy those damn expensive component speakers, coz from what I got in my car, you can easily get brain damage after listening to it for a few minutes, its loud, clear, and quality.

I didnt even upgrade the front speakers yet, and they are amplified, and sound freaking good! decent bass, and clear treble... im happy...heh, i dont even think im gonna upgrade the fronts, untill my amp blows them apart.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

I took my rears off... only running the Focal 165K2P Fronts and it sounds awesome...
Old 07-02-2005, 03:31 PM
supermuff

Smile made a purchase

Went out and bought a sony deck and 4 infinity speakers. Being instaleed tomorrow. I let u know how it sounds. Also received my seat covers this morning. They look great and should do the jos as well.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by rommel350z
Does anyone have pics of the stock rear speaker setup? The previous owner of my car put in Blaupunkt rears and they just screw in and come right out.

Are the stock rears covered with paneling? Ick.

Quick Reply: Do the rear speakers even work?