Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350Z+Snow = DEATH

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 09:08 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get this. When I lived in Canada where it snowed, EVERYBODY knew you had to put snow tires on in the winter. If you were dumb enough to drive in the snow with summer tires, people would be pissed off at you because you're a hazard to yourself and others on the road. Is this not true any more? Don't people know about this? How can you just take a car with summer tires and go out in the snow -- that's nuts! (Maybe you can get away with it with some FWD cars, but certainly not RWD!)
Old 12-06-2002, 09:20 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Driving

When driving in the snow I find that if you place the car in a higher gear than normal to keep the torque off of the tires you will not fishtail as much. I live in Maryland and I love to drive in the snow. And remember hitting the breaks can cause major problems as well. Drive slowly and be careful
Old 12-06-2002, 09:44 AM
Sabre

Originally posted by eddieclayton
I live in south central PA and we got 10" of snow as well. I wasn't having much of a problem at all, until the snow got higher than the frame of the car. I do believe with snow tires this car wouldn't be bad at all, I have a base model without traction control. I trust my driving for the most part, but the driving of others I do not that is why I'm now searching for a beater car. I would be really pissed at myself if I let something happen to my Z (it's the first new car I have owned). If it works the picture below was taken this morning, when we had 5" of snow it finally has slowed down at 10". Be careful out there guys.
Kinda crazy how you got that much snow, yet here in Columbus, OH we barely got 1/2 inch of the white stuff. Thankfully the jetstream dipped low enough or we would have been nailed.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:31 AM
Zcarfan_2K1S4Guy

Default GOOD GOD PEOPLE!! GET WITH IT!!

TIRES TIRES TIRES!!!

summer tires + snow = you will have no control....

i own an AWD audi s4 quattro, and if i were to drive in snow with the stock summer tires...i would have an REALLY rough time....

if you live in an area where you get snow...at teh VERY LEAST get perfronce all seasons. better to get "winter performance tires" or if you see alot of snow often..maybe dedicated SNOW tires are for you (Nokian Hakkapilettas come to mind)....

remember a RWD car wtih winter or snows is worlds better than a FWD or AWD car equipped with summers!
Old 12-06-2002, 11:41 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snow tires

Ooh yeah i almost forgot. Dont forget to get snow tires
Old 12-06-2002, 12:05 PM
g35or350z

What is the difference between summer and snow tires. Is it the tread pattern?
Old 12-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Lil Popa Pump

I thought some of you guys were full of sheet. I had an 84 Camaro (RWD) and learned how to handle it in the snow. I thought the Z would be the same.....um, no.

It took me 30 mins to move that car 10 ft up into my driveway (the last 2 feet were the worst! ) the other night! Not sure if I will get snow tires as I have a beater that I plan on driving when the weather looks bad.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:15 PM
6kLaunch

Originally posted by raceboy
Why do people live where there is snow? Move to SoCal; problem solved!!
Come on now ! SAVE OUR STATE!!

There are enough friggen snowbirds here now! Please don't advertise about the weather.

Remember everyone, California means crowded freeways, freeway shooters, gangs, earthquakes, brush fires, mud slides and crime!

Old 12-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Ohio350z

Check out tire rack's website for everything you every wanted to know about winter tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp

Blizzak LM-22 studless winter tires were developed to combine good snow and ice traction with European high-speed winter driving performance. Available in low profile, H-speed rated sizes; Blizzak LM-22 tires are for the drivers of high performance sport cars, sport coupes and sport sedans who require winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads.

Blizzak LM-22 studless winter tires feature a directional tread design to enhance hydroplaning resistance on wet and slush-covered roads with rounded tread shoulders to enhance dry and wet road handling. Their tread compound has a high silica content instead of the Multicell tread compounds used on other Blizzak winter tires. This allows Blizzak LM-22 tires to combine winter traction with H-speed rated durability (current Multicell compounds can not support 130 mph H-speed ratings). The Blizzak LM-22 tires feature an independent block tread design which employs the Lamellen "edge effect" (multiple biting edges in the tread blocks to help grip snow and ice) to enhance winter traction without resorting to traditional metal studs.

The Blizzak LM-22 winter tire’s overall combination of capabilities is made possible by Bridgestone’s UNI-T technology that brings advanced tire technologies together, taking performance to a new level. Innovative tire design, construction and tread compound help maximize the tire’s performance, ride quality and wear while providing traction in winter.

Blizzak LM-22 winter tires meet the industry’s severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol. They feature blackwall styling and are available in H-speed rated, 55- through 40-series, 15" - 17" wheel diameter sizes.

NOTE: Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of snow wear bars) are molded into the Blizzak LM-22’s tread grooves to inform the driver when ice and snow traction will be reduced as the tire’s tread wear reaches the point where the remaining tread depth becomes less effective in deep snow.

Install Blizzak LM-22 tires in sets of four only.

Due to the traction capabilities of the Blizzak LM-22, Bridgestone recommends using Blizzak LM-22 tires only in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance.

See the full line of Bridgestone Blizzaks
Blizzak LM-22
Blizzak MZ-01
Blizzak MZ-02
Blizzak MZ-03
Blizzak W965
Blizzak WS-15
Blizzak WS-50
Winter Dueler DM-Z2
Old 12-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Sabre

Originally posted by 6kLaunch

There are enough friggen snowbirds here now! Please don't advertise about the weather.

Remember everyone, California means crowded freeways, freeway shooters, gangs, earthquakes, brush fires, mud slides and crime!

Exactly! I think you also forgot about pollution, it's very costly, and expensive electricty and water. I'll take a white Christmas thank you.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:42 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

I personally prefer RWD in snow versus FWD. In RWD if you loose front traction in a corner you still have the ability to adjust with power at the rear wheels. In FWD, if you loose front traction you loose any chance at correction except for counter steer and parking brake.

With that being said, I drive a 95 Civic coupe as a winter beater and my Z resides in a nice warm garage over the winter. Ain't no salt going to ruin my Z.

Side note - my all time favorite car in the snow was an 85 Pontiac grand prix I had a Chevy 350 motor in with over 350whp. That damn thing could go anywhere in the snow, anywhere. Ice though, forget about it, couldn't go an inch.

And to the guy from C-Bus, Cincy got 5" of the white stuff thursday night, people here can't drive in snow to safe their life.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:10 PM
Sabre

I hear ya LS350Z. We only got .5" to 1", depending where you were in Columbus. Luckily, we just got the top of the storm. I just try to stay away from those people that feel the need to switch lanes like it's dry out.
Old 12-06-2002, 04:59 PM
cotmfk

Originally posted by belkmike
They also knew how to drive in the snow. Slowly and try to never come to a complete stop. A lost art.
Agreed!
Old 12-06-2002, 07:50 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by 6kLaunch

LOL, oh yeah, what was I thinking. California sux, stay away!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 11:03 PM
slay2k

Default Hmm...

If I was to get 4 Blizzak LM-22's.... would I need 4 extra rims as well ? If so, that seems like too much of an investment..

If not, what would it cost to have a mechanic replace the tires for me onto the stock rims ? Never switched tires by season before =\ Never had a sports car before either.

-slay
Old 12-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Travic

you can just have them put them on your stock rims. it doesnt cost extra at most discount places then just have a friend come along to take the old tires with you and swicth them back in the spring. switching them back will proly cost a few dollars but cheaper than buying new rims. i personally had them put on my stock rims. plan on spending at least $800 for Blizzaks but well worth it. dont go thru Firestone either they cost $200 more for the same tire. Tire Rack has them the cheapest.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Slexis200

OK, its nothat that i expected or didnt. Im just telling others to becareful and do not drive in the snow with out snow tires. And no its not a lost art, this car is terrible in the snow. What do you think your parents have speacial skills us younger people cant figure out?? No this car could hardly even move when theres snow, and when actually moving it slips like mad.......So take it from me, stay outa the snow! bla bla bla what do you expect? shut up, im just stating a fact smarty pants!
Old 12-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Slexis200

I say, just dont use your car for the maybe 5 days the entire year there is actually snow on the roads, here in New York atleast.... The stocl tires may suck, but im keepin em untill theyre done. And then ill just get all-season performance.....
Old 12-10-2002, 12:05 PM
justwant1

If you have the 18" rims, good luck finding an all season performance tire...I have yet to find one.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Sabre

Originally posted by Slexis200
I say, just dont use your car for the maybe 5 days the entire year there is actually snow on the roads, here in New York atleast.... The stocl tires may suck, but im keepin em untill theyre done. And then ill just get all-season performance.....
That is what I'm thinking too. Just get through this winter and then wear out the stocks. Then buy some all season performance tires. Not sure what tires to get though. Anybody have any good suggestions?