Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

So I got rear ended at the DRIVE THROUGH today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 10:32 PM
monstertaco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got rear ended at the DRIVE THROUGH today...

So, I'm sitting there minding my own business in the In and Out drive through waiting to get to the window when... BAM!

I look in my rear view and see this older gentleman coughing up a storm. I get out of my car, and take a little peak at where my bumper use to be but..oh look! Half of a Jeep is buried inside!

I ask the man, "Are you okay sir?" and he says he's fine. So I'm sitting there outside his window like an idiot for a couple seconds waiting for him to say something or at least dislodge himself from my Z...Nothing happens. So I say.."Do you want to exchange information?" He says.."Why?" Then I point... he gets out and realizes that 350Z's don't come with an optional Jeep bumper attachment. HE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HE HIT ME!

So we pull over and exchange information...his name doesn't match the name on the insurance. The damage wasn't as bad once we pulled apart..the bumper popped a good amount out. When I was getting his information he said..."oh, this is nothing you could pop that out for $100." (Giggles started to form in my head) I say I'll have to get an estimate, and that if he wants to do it outside of insurance I can give him a call with the quote. (He really liked that idea.)

So to sum it up, when I got home I realized that if I reported this, it wasn't going to increase my premium since it was 100% his fault. Being a little pissed as well, I called up my insurance and reported it. Someone is going to be contacting me in a day or two to assess the damage. Basically two decent size dents and scratches, all on the lower bumper piece.

Think I did the right thing to just report it? All I wanted was a burger...
Old 07-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Sensation350Z

Yes. People can and sometimes will screw you over if you don`t go through insurance. As long as your rates don`t increase, then always claim it, that`s what insurance is for.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:39 PM
dsmal

That sucks...

I would have gotten a police report, especially since the names did not match up. What if he denies it later?

The important thing is that your not injured.

Al
Old 07-02-2005, 10:44 PM
monstertaco

Yeah, I would have felt kind of silly calling a police officer over to report such a small accident. Although it would have probably been the right thing to do.

When I take it to the body shop think I can just tell them to replace the entire bumper? The insurance company gave me a two "preffered" places that they said for me to take my car. I'm hoping they can just replace it with a legitamate Nissan made bumper.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Sensation350Z

Take it to a nissan dealership and send your insurance the bill.
You want them to do a good job, who cares where your insurance prefers?
Old 07-02-2005, 10:53 PM
monstertaco

Originally Posted by Sensation350Z
Take it to a nissan dealership and send your insurance the bill.
You want them to do a good job, who cares where your insurance prefers?

Yeah, they said I could take it anywhere...and I asked what the con was of doing that. The lady said she wasn't too sure but said.."You might have to pay out of pocket." Is that BS?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Sensation350Z

Call your insurance back and make sure, but I`m pretty set on that being total BS. Make sure you tell them that you want to take it to a dealership of YOUR choice because you want to study each body shop and see which can do the best job repairing, because you are the victim here.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:24 AM
bcheng4jc

i always call the cops if someone hits me. i rather waste some time then getting screwed over by the other driver. and i always take my car to my own body shop that i trust. dealer body shops arent always that perfect either. lexus dealer had smashed my rear right pillar on my 2003 lx470 (2 months old) when raising it on the lift while it was being serviced. wanted to take it to their ody shop and i've been there before, they do really crappy work. they couldnt even put the seals on my grill right without it being all twisted. so i took it to my own body shop.......2000+ to fix a dent in the rear pillar. service that time was all free. i was happy. can't even tell the car got dented. :-)
Old 07-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those $5 disposable cameras in the truck of each car for such an occassion. I'd take pictures of the location, damage, and driver (behind the wheel if possible). It's hard to argue with 8x10 glossy's in court.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Masterfulks

Always get a police report!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Forrest80

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
I have one of those $5 disposable cameras in the truck of each car for such an occassion. I'd take pictures of the location, damage, and driver (behind the wheel if possible). It's hard to argue with 8x10 glossy's in court.

Paul350z that is dam smart, any recommendation for any 5 buck cameras that are some what ok, and any thing that can sit in my glove deparemnt in maybe some "heat" and wotn be ruined?
Old 07-03-2005, 01:59 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always seems to be safer to go through insurance....
prevents this if things go wrong...
Old 07-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Integrity
Banned

Most insurance companies actually require you to report any damage to your car, be it your fault or not.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:20 PM
stilzx61

i also heard you can ask to be compensated for "diminished value"...since the car was in an accident you not be able to get what you want for the car if you decide to sell it one day...read this on a forum (maybe it was here)...
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Forrest80
Paul350z that is dam smart, any recommendation for any 5 buck cameras that are some what ok, and any thing that can sit in my glove deparemnt in maybe some "heat" and wotn be ruined?

Even if the film in the camera has been exposed to heat and stuff, the worst that will happen is that the colors won't look right. But the pictures should come out decently.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:00 PM
overboost

Originally Posted by monstertaco
Yeah, they said I could take it anywhere...and I asked what the con was of doing that. The lady said she wasn't too sure but said.."You might have to pay out of pocket." Is that BS?
IIRC, if you go to another body shop, your insurance comp. will pay for it but can't garantee the work, so if it turns out bad, your screwed. But if you take it to one of there body shops and you don't like it, they'll redo it.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:09 PM
The Mike

No it can't and won't come out of your pocket. Also, ignore their "preferred" bodyshops...that is only in their best interest.. not in yours. Take it to the dealership period. Have all parts replaced with brand new parts that are damaged. You're insurance won't even have to pay.. it will be his insurance that pays... What you're insurance is actually doing here is being the bulldog that gets on their *** to cough up the money. I've been in enough not-at-fault accidents to know the system. Hope that helps.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 AM
monstertaco

Yeah, thanks for the info guys. Anyone know any good body shops in the LA area to take this thing to? Should I just demand a new bumper even if the damage is very minor?

The thing is..the guy and I have the same insurance company.. so that's why I think they might have been pushing the preffered crap...well I still have to hear back from the insurance company to come check out the damage...probably tomorrow.. will keep you guys posted...

Watch out for those maniacs trying to get thier burgers.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 AM
The Mike

hehe... the poor guy was just really hungry and you were in his way! Well you need to be healthy and in shape with your Z to get the full babe magnet effect...so stop eating fast food
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 AM
CorruptedZ

Repair it at the dealership, they will replace the bumper. Don't go to either suggested body shops, chances are they recommended those places because they offer a free replacement car and they fix for cheap.

Quick Reply: So I got rear ended at the DRIVE THROUGH today...