Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z IS NOT HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 11:24 AM
steve c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racing should be about the drivers not the cars.
Huh?
Old 12-09-2002, 01:58 PM
frayed

Perhaps he's talking about spec racing?

In any event, not sure where all this racing talk came from. I think (my bias) that track performance of any sports car is particularly critical in the buying equation, since I do track my cars (I don't 'race' however).

If indeed a Touring Z weighs in at 3350lbs, then it is way overweight, particularly for a 2 seater sports car. In this regard, I admire Honda and the their approach to the S2000 (my last car) as well as the ITR of yesterday. I think car manufacturers should take a page from Honda. . . including BMW!

I have a friend who bought a new M5 last year with the intent that it would serve double duty as a weekend track car and a daily driver. He soon found it was incredibly expensive and a PITA to keep tires and brakes on the thing. So, he went out an bought a Z06 as a track toy, occasional street car. (I would have bought a spec Miata or something like that that is easy/cheap to track, and loads of fun)

BTW, I think it was boomer who asked why I am here; it's b/c I'm looking for a daily driver replacement for my M3, as my M3 will likely turn into a dedicated track car. The Z (and its cousins) is on my short list.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by frayed
Perhaps he's talking about spec racing?

In any event, not sure where all this racing talk came from. I think (my bias) that track performance of any sports car is particularly critical in the buying equation, since I do track my cars (I don't 'race' however).

If indeed a Touring Z weighs in at 3350lbs, then it is way overweight, particularly for a 2 seater sports car. In this regard, I admire Honda and the their approach to the S2000 (my last car) as well as the ITR of yesterday. I think car manufacturers should take a page from Honda. . . including BMW!

I have a friend who bought a new M5 last year with the intent that it would serve double duty as a weekend track car and a daily driver. He soon found it was incredibly expensive and a PITA to keep tires and brakes on the thing. So, he went out an bought a Z06 as a track toy, occasional street car. (I would have bought a spec Miata or something like that that is easy/cheap to track, and loads of fun)

BTW, I think it was boomer who asked why I am here; it's b/c I'm looking for a daily driver replacement for my M3, as my M3 will likely turn into a dedicated track car. The Z (and its cousins) is on my short list.
Cool. What other cars are your short list? In the Z's camp, I would say you probably are not a good candidate for a Touring model and the base is probably too spare, no LSD, TCS , Xenons, etc.

The Track has the most equipment, including Brembos, Rays 18"ultra light forged wheels, LSD, TCS,VDC and other goodies.

The Enthusiast was voted the best bang for the buck with LSD, TCS, cruise control, but w/17" wheels and tires.

The Performance model has LSD, TCS, VDC and 18" cast alumininum wheels w/ tires but no Brembos or Rays forged wheels.

All of these models have cloth seats, but you can order dealer-installed leather if you want. All of this info on specific pkgs is at NissanDriven.com along with prices and a build it yourself feature of course.

I would be interested in the other cars on your list and I'll share any opinions, observations, or trivia if you're interested. If not, good hunting and I wish you well. There are also many others on this site who are more knowledgeable than I who will be happy to assist you on the subject of the Z or other cars over at Off Topic. There is considerable traffic on the G35 Coupe there.

Boomer
Old 12-09-2002, 07:21 PM
ZLuvr

Originally posted by Boomer
Why not buy a base, then? It should weigh close to your 3200lbs mark. As far as chiming in, whose side are you on? The 350Z lovers or the bmw trolls? In reference to C&D, was it with or without driver? It does make a difference, you must know.
-I didn't think there was such a difference in weights between the base and perf. I was thinking more in the line of carbon fiber hood, lighter exhaust.

-as far as whose side i'm on. Well, if u notice this is my 4th post. So, that would make me on NOBODY'S SIDE. I don't care much for arguements and don't really have the time for a slong fest( u know, mine is larger than yours etc). My tagname is Zluvr. what i mean by that is that i LUVed the old 300zx tt. I am still not decided on the new z.

- regarding C&D, their weight is the weight of a car with options and a half tank of gas without driver.

Last edited by ZLuvr; 12-09-2002 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 PM
ZLuvr

Originally posted by rahilio
[list=1][*]Jenny Craig Diet = loose 75 lbs = cost 79.00[*]Take Some Ex-lax Extra Strength the day before the big race = loose 2.5 lbs = cost 2.99 (walmart special)[*]Drive Butt Naked = loose 4 lbs = cost priceless[*]Drive on an Empty tank of Gas and Have some Midgets push the Car = loose 150 lbs = cost 30.00 per hour[*]Empty the Window Washer Liquid = loose 8lbs = cost free[/list=1]

there you go guys some new ways to cut down the weight. see you at the race track
what about emptying your bladder. That should be another 1/2 lb or so-specially if you went out drinking with the buddies the night before.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:26 PM
ZLuvr

Originally posted by Boomer
Cool. What other cars are your short list
I think he meant that he was looking at a z or a g35 coupe/sedan.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:32 PM
ZLuvr

Originally posted by frayed
i have a couple of friends who have made their m3 a dedicated track car. They took out the rear seats, carbon fiber hood, etc, etc. I don't understand the logic of that. From a size, weight, and tossibility standpoint, I would MUCH rather track a dedicated 2 seater(s2k, boxster).

why not keep the m3 as a daily driver, and buy a shifter cart for hard core track use. its a F1 ride/rush for <$10k. u could probably tow it to the track with ur m3.

just my 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by ZLuvr
-I didn't think there was such a difference in weights between the base and perf. I was thinking more in the line of carbon fiber hood, lighter exhaust.

-as far as whose side i'm on. Well, if u notice this is my 4th post. So, that would make me on NOBODY'S SIDE. I don't care much for arguements and don't really have the time for a slong fest( u know, mine is larger than yours etc). My tagname is Zluvr. what i mean by that is that i LUVed the old 300zx tt. I am still not decided on the new z.

- regarding C&D, there weight is the weight of a car with options and a half tank of gas without driver.
Sorry about the side remark, I was in a heated discussion about something else.

I don't know what the weights of each model are because there are so many conflicting info sources: Nissan, car mags, owners, etc. you get the drift. The 350 has an aluminum hood, so carbon fiber may not do much to lower weight and we are just in the 350's infancy on mods.

A lot of tuner firms are working on mods but only a few have come through with anything. Rather than trying to name them myself, go to the Modifications forum and/or do a search for the aftermarket mods like exhaust and other items.

There are so many threads in this site, a lot of good info just needs to dug out of archival areas as well as the up to date forums. As I stated earlier, you are getting in on the ground floor on mods for the car that actually work, not something some tuner has just cobbled together for a mag.

Send a private message to a Moderator if you find little or no info. They watch the threads and are very knowledgeable in many areas. One PM might cut through the maze and set you on the track if my earlier suggestions get you bogged down. Get lost, call a Moderator for help. Good hunting.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
Elistan

A car's weight, like nearly everything else about it, comes down to personal preference. Some people drive around in 4000lb cars and think they're perfectly fine. Some people (Colin Chapman, anybody?) think anything over 2531lbs is a pig (McLaren F1, anybody?).

Some think the 350Z is fine, other's think it's too heavy. Where's the mystery?

In my driving experience - 300ZX is great touring car, but not very tossable. I took one on a 1400mi round trip and it was great. I wouldn't want to have it as a daily driver, though - just not my thing. A Miata is wonderfully tossable, but not enough power. S2000 has best of both worlds, which is why it's my daily driver. My PCA Club Racing class I 944, at 2779lbs minimum weight, was an absolute dream to drive. It's gone now, being replaced by a GT-3R 944 Turbo. We're hoping for about 2400lbs and power in the low 300's.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:33 AM
gouki

Originally posted by Elistan
A car's weight, like nearly everything else about it, comes down to personal preference. Some people drive around in 4000lb cars and think they're perfectly fine. Some people (Colin Chapman, anybody?) think anything over 2531lbs is a pig (McLaren F1, anybody?).

In my driving experience - 300ZX is great touring car, but not very tossable. I took one on a 1400mi round trip and it was great. I wouldn't want to have it as a daily driver, though - just not my thing. A Miata is wonderfully tossable, but not enough power. S2000 has best of both worlds, which is why it's my daily driver. My PCA Club Racing class I 944, at 2779lbs minimum weight, was an absolute dream to drive. It's gone now, being replaced by a GT-3R 944 Turbo. We're hoping for about 2400lbs and power in the low 300's.
Strange, the 300zx was rated a better car overall than the 944 (and supra and rx7 and GTO and corvette etc etc). It was a great car, that's why we still have it. The car was meant to drive at 200kph not 100kph (the car feels rock solid at 100, its so boring).

Pretty short driving experience you have there :
- 300zx is a sports car
- the Miata V8 will give you plenty of power
- the S is just a more expensive Miata
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by Elistan

The only problem with Colin Chapman was his obsession with low weight caused many a critic to accuse him of endangering his drivers' lives. Some of his weight shaving was in the suspension as well as other areas and the cars were dubbed dangerous to drive.

His cars were minimalistic in safety equipment and a lot his drivers were very badly hurt in crashes where they had almost 0 protection. I was not a fan of Colin Chapman because he was indifferent to safety for his drivers and made dangerous cars that went very fast with no regard for the driver.

Weight saving is fine so long as the cars are built with rollcages and other safety equipment. Colin Chapman's example and crashes pointed out the need for driver protection.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:20 AM
steve c

- 300zx is a sports car
- the Miata V8 will give you plenty of power
- the S is just a more expensive Miata
Err I'd call the 300Z a grand touring car -- too heavy to be thrown in with the sports cars.

The S2000 comment is just ignorant -- you have obviously driven neither a miata nor an S2000.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:55 AM
rahilio

Err I'd call the 300Z a grand touring car -- too heavy to be thrown in with the sports cars.

you nailed it right on the head. YOU call it a grand touring car, Stating thats just your opinion on the matter wich means nothing coming from a teenager (only teenagers come to other forums of cars they dont own, and put there car over to feel secure about They’re daddys present he gave them for They’re 16th birthday).

300z is a sports car regardless of weight. you got a weight problem or something?

the 350 z is a car built for the streets. were talking about automobiles car of the year. road and tracks ten best and a runner up for motor trend coty and sister car for car of the year. when did racing on a track and taking 130 mph turns come into the subject? its a little heavy would be enough maybe put a poll up, why cant we just end this thread on that

Last edited by rahilio; 12-10-2002 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:43 AM
steve c

you nailed it right on the head. YOU call it a grand touring car, Stating thats just your opinion on the matter wich means nothing coming from a teenager (only teenagers come to other forums of cars they dont own, and put there car over to feel secure about They’re daddys present he gave them for They’re 16th birthday).
Actually, I am sure I am not alone in the belief that the 300 and 350 are more grand touring cars than sports cars. Yes this is an opinion, as is yours if you feel differently. The difference here is that I do not believe my opinion is the only one out there and I am not running around calling people names when they don’t happen to share my same opinion – you are. Grow up.

its a little heavy would be enough maybe put a poll up,
No idea what that means.

-Steve (who for the record got a beat *** Datsun 310 and later on a nicer used 87 GTI from his parents.)
Old 12-10-2002, 11:39 AM
rahilio

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
i really dont know what your opinion is based on maybe just Jealous i guess.
heres a Scenario for you as to what might lead to your jealousy of this beautiful car the 350z. my car at the light (27k) and a 2k3 corvette (43k+) was behind me at the light, girl pulls up in a chevy something and compliments me on my car not the ugly same old looks like a bed with a cockpit corvette behind me.
this may lead to your jelousy of the car and i know that has nothing to do with the topic but i just cant stand children who come in here and flame on other peoples cars.
heres a list of recent SPORTS CARS according to automobile magazine new poll.

Best sports car:
BMW Z4
Honda S2000
Morgan Plus 8
Porsche Boxster/Boxster S
Chevrolet Corvette/Corvette Z06
Mazda Miata
Nissan 350Z
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Ford Mustang/SVT Cobra
Mercedes-Benz SLK-class
Panoz Esperante

notice its in the sports car bracket not in the gt class as you say, some other cars are on that list.
you can go ahead and check it out yourself at www.automobilemag.com maybe vote for your car as well
while your there im pretty sure its not gonna win and need all the votes it can get.

of course if you believe you know more than them and still say its not a sports car its not an opinion just plain crazy, demented or Jealous, are the only reason for you to be so pig headed and blinded by your car.
(for the record i did not call anyone any names here)

Last edited by rahilio; 12-10-2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:14 PM
steve c

Again, my interpretation of the sports car leands towards the classic definition, light weight, rear wheel drive, 2 seats, most often with a convertible top.

of course if you believe you know more than them and still say its not a sports car its not an opinion just plain crazy, demented or Jealous, are the only reason for you to be so pig headed and blinded by your car.
(for the record i did not call anyone any names here)
Sure you have. You seem incapable of carrying on this discussion at an adult level, instead choosing to personally attack others when their opinion does not agree with your own. Please, grow up.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by steve c
Again, my interpretation of the sports car leands towards the classic definition, light weight, rear wheel drive, 2 seats, most often with a convertible top.

Sure you have. You seem incapable of carrying on this discussion at an adult level, instead choosing to personally attack others when their opinion does not agree with your own. Please, grow up.
Just for the record, steve. What do you own? Who paid for it? Why are you here? How old are you? Have you ever owned a Z? What sports cars have you owned that fit your rarified definition? Come on, steve, educate us further.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:52 PM
nosuchsol

Originally posted by steve c
See, that sounds more like a roadster than a sports car. I would put the Miata, MR-S, the old fiats =), etc etc... Britian was famous for being able to create good ol' roadsters. However they've really been lost since those days. RWD, 2 seater, open top, light weight.

A sports car shouldn't necessarily stray from those as well except for the open top. McLaren, Jaguar, MB, TVR, etc would then have their supercars with an open top - not the case... same with Ferrari and Lambo(even though Ferrari does have a conv. modena and maranello). That top helps to add a good deal of rigidity without the bracing necessary for an open top.... that holds down the weight of the conv. system.
Old 12-10-2002, 12:57 PM
rahilio

to steve c:
nice one you basically are arguing over your opinion not a fact, and you have no idea what your talking about, you you belive is a sports car is more of a roadster its a sub category under sports car.
my interpretation of people who own convertibles is that they are gay, and just want the wind running thru theyre hair, i would love to own an s2000 as well, does that make me gay no cause i know im not, you cant base what a car is under your own opinions. the FACT is the 350z is a sports car and its heavy
you might own a lightweight *** mobile but thats just my opinion and it dosent matter what anybodys opinion is as long as your happy with what you have is all that matters
bottom line: the 350z is a heavy SPORTS car regardless of your opinion maybe one day you can become president of some thrid world communist country and make em belive whatever you say but until that day comes im sorry bud but your opinions dont count.

Last edited by rahilio; 12-10-2002 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-10-2002, 01:04 PM
rahilio

boomer: steve owns a convertible corvette from his arguments you can just tell. this guy comes over here to our board and flames our car. very childish dont you think. i dont understand why people do that. childs play i guess.

nosuchsol: ditto. exactly what i think as well.

Quick Reply: 350z IS NOT HEAVY