Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

August Car & Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:28 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know for sure if they used the pre-production model?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:28 PM
MaximumHP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like we're not the only ones disappointed in the weight:

From C&D Artical
"Despite its performance, the 350Z does not feel as downy light as a Miata or MR2. Sure enough, at 3322 pounds it's heavier than a Corvette. That said, the Z is a very satisfying drive with terrific control feel."

"Lows: Could stand to lose a couple hundred pounds and gain a more melodious engine note."

"The handling is crisp at turn-in, but then the Z resolutely plows the front end, forgoing any notion of an agile, tossable car. Some sedans are better balanced. I expect more from a sports car."
This makes me think the Z doesn't have much on the G35. I was hoping the Z would significantly outperform the G35, but that doesn't appear to be the case according to this article.

They also think the Z is a great value at 27,000, but maybe not so much so at the 34,000 dollar range. 75% of us paid over 32,000 for our Z.

On the other hand they all think the car is an absolute joy to drive. They believe it's powerful engine performs quite well, contrary to most peoples opinions here. Still, where are you going to get this kind of performance car for this kind of money.

Interesting article, generally good, but I wouldn't say the editors were drooling over the car.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:31 PM
Afty

Originally posted by keepupp
Hey, without using the link we were given I tried to find the article by going directly to the C and D website and I couldnt find the article...lets hope its a fake (would be a professional fake)
So you're saying someone hacked the C&D website and posted a fake 350Z article, as well as photoshopping a fake 350Z cover and posting it here? Riiight...

This is standard C&D web site practice. They always have all the articles from the current issue of the magazine available online, but they don't place the links on the front page until a few weeks after the magazine is released, so that people have some incentive to buy the paper version.

Did anyone notice that C&D said the Z matched all the performance numbers of the Boxster S for $20k less?
Old 06-26-2002, 07:41 PM
John

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...?keywords=350Z

Is that proof enough? I'm just concerned as to whether they tested the actual production model.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:46 PM
justwant1

DunReit was right, that was easy to find on the Car and Driver website. Took me about 3 seconds to get to it from the Car and Driver home page.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:26 PM
PistolPete

I do find it odd the wieght listed by the mag is about equal to an f-body (camaro and firebird) and higher than a mustang. Both those cars have 8 cylinder engines, back seats, 45 lbs driveshafts, and solid rear axles. Either of those cars can put up similar or better numbers, including skidpad. I had hoped the Z would have better skidpad numbers, given the technological advantages and higher cost.

Ford tested their pre-production mach1 last month, and got mid 13s in the quarter, and a 12.9 with slicks. It appears that might be a better bargain for performance.

I am anxious to see other reviews.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:34 PM
tbcz

Default Please, please, please...

Do not post any more BS until you have read Jayman's post from 5:48 AM. My head is spinning because people either haven't read the facts, or are choosing to ignore them. For all you newbies, Jay knows the truth, trust me. And check Seedyrom's post for a reliable opinion as well.

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Flyingscot

Regardless of what we say here today, it sounds like there's going to be a lot of competition out soon for the Z. So for Nissan's sake I hope the final #s show a great car rather than just a good car. I'm not sure you can sell 30,000 units a year of a good car. And as most people have already stated, the base model will only account for a small percentage of the buyers.

Put the car on a diet and all will be fine!

Fingers crossed!
Old 06-26-2002, 08:59 PM
infinite z

What competition will the Z have? I can't think of any. What's this Mach1???
Old 06-26-2002, 09:04 PM
Flyingscot

If you build it they will come (from Mazda, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Ford) to name a few. It's a free market and none of them are going to sit idle for very long.
Old 06-26-2002, 09:37 PM
SeedyRom

For those that need a little calming...here's an excerpt from their counterpoint if you missed it

Taking someone who isn't a fan of the car and converting them is the hardest thing to do.

"I admit I was not initially taken by this new Z. Maybe it was the droopy, flabby-looking butt. Maybe it was the spectacularly space-inefficient interior and cargo areas. The plastic-encased structural support in the rear severely limits carrying capacity. There are 1002 covered cubbies scattered about the cabin, none of which is large enough to carry much. But three curves into our 10Best handling loop I actually uttered this phrase, "Dude, this car rules!" With its short shift throws, linear throttle response, excellent torque, excellent steering, and excellent ride and handling responses, this car totally books." — Daniel Pund

Buck up people!
Old 06-26-2002, 10:21 PM
John

I really don't pay too much attention to the skidpad on these tests since they are inconsistent. Hell, the McLaren F1 didn't even break .90Gs in Road & Track and/or C&D...
Old 06-26-2002, 10:44 PM
240zguy

Default C and D Review

I for one was interested in the historical reference in the review to the trend setting splash the original 240Z made, and to the fact that the 350Z would appear to be doing the same thing. That's one reason I put a preorder in, to relive the original excitement of my Orange 240Z, vintage 1972.

Sounds like it will be a great car!
Old 06-27-2002, 02:24 AM
NissaNZ

Lightbulb Here's the Article

Hey guys here's the C&D article from .......

---jmanz here... i edited this post because the C & D article was NOT to go live yet. C & D removed it at Nissan's request, and we have done so as well.

Sorry... but those that missed it are going to have to wait for it. If Zcar wants to post it, that's up to Zcar but I am not going to point people to the zcar thread, it goes against Nissan's wishes.

-sorry people. - jmanz ---
Old 06-27-2002, 02:32 AM
dvlad

Default Re: Re: Here's the Article

Originally posted by VQracer

Good gah!!!!!!! How many times you newbs gotta post this! Don't you think people know it by now?!?!
patience my young Jedi
Old 06-27-2002, 02:43 AM
NissaNZ

I might be new to this site but I'm not new to the Z, I've been following the pre-production phase for the last year and have always been a Nissan/Z fan.
Old 06-27-2002, 02:57 AM
2003z

Default don't let the door hit ya' in the ***!

Originally posted by raceboy
I am much more concerned with the weight. That had better be an "As Tested" weight or else I am out. I do really think that is the weight with the driver, fuel, and test equipment.
And what, pray tell would you get instead? Or just keep your MR-2?

Quick Reply: August Car & Driver