Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Theft-prevention revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 03:41 AM
wxtornado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft-prevention revisited

I'd like to revive this thread if I could - I think it's pretty important. I don't have any experience with any theft-prevention devices in my vehicles, so could anyone with more knowledge in this subject talk about your experience? Audible alarms and club-type devices seem to be ignored for the most part. Anyone ever have a LoJack? Special key-type devices or kill-switches?
Old 06-26-2002, 04:56 AM
Danimsta

get what pointfivezero got

Last edited by Danimsta; 06-26-2002 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:36 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an alarm with radar motion, shock, mic, and power sensors. I installed myself (PITA). I thought it would be great for the convertible to have all those sensors, but I find I still cant make myself leave the top down. Basically overkill. I feel if someone really wants the car they will find a way to take it. I have 2 friends whose cars were stolen by a tow truck, one had lojack . . they found the lojack unit but no car. The car has a basic alarm with the coded key. This will be fine unless you start dropping thousands of $$ into the car. If you want remote windows, flashy lights, remote start, and all that jazz you should get it. If you want piece of mind, get it. If you want to save $500 and put it to good use don't get it. The aftermarket alarm only will deter amateurs (as does the factory alarm). Professionals will get you car if they really want it.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:42 PM
Alang

A simple switch in the power line to the fuel pump, cleverly hidden is a very effective theft deturant. I believe that the Z also has a computer chip in the key that prevents the "cracked column" starting method used by the more common theives.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Importlife.com

to compliment the hidden cutoff switch, get one of these and walk out with it when you park. This way the only way to steal now is to tow it or car jack you at gunpoint.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:02 PM
phreezee

Isn't it illegal to remove the airbag in some parts?
Old 01-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Importlife.com

Any racing steering wheel is meant for track use only. It is strickly prohibited from street use.

But a lot of people still get them because of the smaller diameter.

The truth is the Z has a great steering wheel and the airbag can save your life.

But some people still go after market for show and tell.

But this is not the only mod that is illegal. I hear in california your bumper lip has to be a certain distance off the ground or you get a summons?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:16 AM
VaGentleman

I would highly recommend a second alarm system. About 3 weeks ago all of my wheels were stolen from the car. The car was right in front of my house.

Now I have 2 (soon to be 3) levels of security on my Z.

1. 2 sets of locking lugnuts on each wheel.

2. The Compustar Security System. It comes with a pager that will alert you if you are w/in 1.25 miles of the car which sensor has been activated.

The basic unit ($450) has sensors for unauthorized door/hood/hatch opening and a 2-stage shock sensor (1st stage for minor taps on the car/wheels; 2nd stage for major hits to the car (if you lifted your door handle and just let go, the impact would set the 2nd stage sensor off). This would also be activated if someone was messing with your wheels, i.e., kicking the tires or putting a wrench on a lug nut.

As an optional feature, I also had a 2 zone, radar-based perimeter sensor installed. If someone gets within a body-length of the car, it will chirp 4 times (and let me know through the pager).

As an additional option, I had a motion sensor installed so that if it is tilted or in anyway moved, the alarm will be activated and I will be notified.

The cost of the system installed (and the tech came to me for the installation) was $750.

If you want more info..you can go to www.compustar.org. I purchased the 2WSS Series.

3. GPS2000. This system will inform you by a phone call or e-mail if your car has been moved without your authorization, i.e., stolen. Then you can go their website (or call a special phone #), enter your ID# and you can track your car using GPS technology throughout 99% of the US territory (LoJack uses radio wave technology). You can call the police and let them know exactly where your car is located or you can give them the website/ID and let them track it.

It has a backup battery so no one can just steal the car and go to a nearby garage and cut the main battery cable to disable it. Also, if they did do such a thing...the system will tell you the last route the car took before losing its signal.

The cost for this installed is $600. If you want to read more about it go to www.gps2000online.com

I live in a very nice neighborhood and didn't think I would ever have anything happen to my car. I've been thinking of how I could modify the car's appearance/performance etc..., but after my wheels were stolen, it occurred to me that before anything else, I want to keep my car in my possession and make it as difficult a target for crime as possible. You can't modify the appearance/performance of the car if you don't have the car!

Y'all have a great New Year!!!

VG