Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Jim 350Z Boston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I have a Tochigi plant car (M) and it was delivered with a **** poor alignment characterized by a pull to the right. I had it aligned and then the pull came back and had it aligned again with no problems since. I only have 4500 miles but no other complaints besides some interior rattles that come and go. The tranny was a bit hard to get into 2nd but broke in nicely and that's no longer a problem.

I really love this car...more than any other I've owned.
Can you tell me what the numbers are for the alignment that corrected your problem. I'd like to know if the TSB (April 04) for the 03's apply to the 04.5.
So far no problem with mine but I'm curious as to what the correct alignment is for the 04's.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Jim 350Z Boston
Can you tell me what the numbers are for the alignment that corrected your problem. I'd like to know if the TSB (April 04) for the 03's apply to the 04.5.
So far no problem with mine but I'm curious as to what the correct alignment is for the 04's.

Thanks
My 04 pulled too as well to the right, got a alignement at the dealer (don't know the numbers) but they fixed it right up
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 PM
MATTRESS MAN

Originally Posted by Peking
Don't you get HID's with the higher Z trims, well all the trims except for the Base version Z.

Also there is the Z convt. which is offered in two different trim levels... So still...

350Z > S2000
Maybe he meant the performance of the S2000's HID's? I know that the S2K's HID's were better than any other I've owned (Acura Cl-S, BMW 323i/530i, Lexus ES330, 350z) in terms of coverage.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:43 PM
elms350Z

My 05 used to pull to the right the first couple of months but now its gone. I have about 4500 miles and so far so good! I'm very pleased with the Z, the best car I've ever owned and driven.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:15 PM
mgl

i have an 03 with almost 17k. no major problems, just the occasional rattle in the interior and a greasy streak on the window, but i can live with that.

both the s2k and z are very nice cars, so you can't really go wrong.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:22 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's so good about HID? I saw a DIY on a HID for the 350Z and there is no way I would pay that much for something like that. Maybe because people who live in the country with little street lights find it useful? I live in the city and find the stock lights pretty good.

Originally Posted by MATTRESS MAN
Maybe he meant the performance of the S2000's HID's? I know that the S2K's HID's were better than any other I've owned (Acura Cl-S, BMW 323i/530i, Lexus ES330, 350z) in terms of coverage.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:34 AM
digdug

Thanks for all of your opinions. I guess what it may end up coming down to is how much each of their monthly costs end up being... I mean, if we've all come to the conclusion that both cars are pretty much on par with one another otherwise. Like I said in the initial post, I may save $75-$100 per month by owning the Z. But certainly don't want to take the plunge and have it spend significant time in the shop. Even if the car is still under warranty and they're picking up the tab, it will be a major PITA to be without for a few days at a time. I know I'd be happy in both cars. The transition to vtec on the s2k at 6krpms is a thing of beauty... it's hard to explain that rush. I know I'd miss it, but would definitely embrace the torque of the Z.

I don't know that I'd miss the convertible top all that much. It's so humid here anyway, that most days the top is up... one top-down cruise lets you know what it feels like to go for a spin in your clothes dryer, hot and damp! When the weather is nice I do drop the top and enjoy it, but don't know that I'd miss it too much.

Oh man, what to do, what to do..... Guess I need to go drive it. Maybe this weekend.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by Peking
Don't you get HID's with the higher Z trims, well all the trims except for the Base version Z.

Also there is the Z convt. which is offered in two different trim levels... So still...

350Z > S2000
HID's come from the performance trim and up. I think
Old 07-22-2005, 07:59 AM
projectsherv

I have a Z and my roommate has a S2k, he tells me every day that he wishes he had bought a Z over his S2K. S2K has no room inside, no low end power and even on the top end it still cant hang with the Z's top end. On top of everything perf. mods give NO gains to the S2K because the engines compression is so high and all the current parts max out the cars potential. Last thing, I thoght someone had said the Z's interior is cheap, LOOK AT THE S2K it has NOTHING to the interior it is as plain jane as it gets.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:00 AM
KingOfV6

the only thing thr s2k has on the Z is better HID's, and ENgine Start

I was an s2k owner 05 model, when i drove the car it was very small for me and i am 155 lbs 5 foor 9 lol. and i always rivaled my car with the Z, so it was like a 2nd sports car to me in my mind
Now that my bro wrecked my s2k he is crazy and thought the s2k was a supra b/c that is what he is used to driving, i got a 350z when insurance paid off the s2k and i am happier, but i still love the s2k it was a dream. if i wasnt into hondas back then i had a prelude, if i didnt i would of got the Z over s2k but then again everything works out in the end.

also my insurance witht the s2k is like having a damn v8 its so expensive the 350z is far cheaper
Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
cobrasak

i went from the z to the s, i would have to say i like the s2k better. It just feels more like a glove to me, just a lot more fun than the z. Also my z had a bunch of problems opposed to the s, so that was the reason why i had sold my z as well. both cars are great but i think the s2k is a bit more fun to drive and more involving than the z.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:06 PM
RPM_204

Originally Posted by ZlleH
What's so good about HID? I saw a DIY on a HID for the 350Z and there is no way I would pay that much for something like that. Maybe because people who live in the country with little street lights find it useful? I live in the city and find the stock lights pretty good.
I live in the city as well, and despite being brighter, HID's look a heck of a lot sexier at night compared to regular headlights. I guess it's a matter of opinion though, just like anything else...

Originally Posted by projectsherv
I have a Z and my roommate has a S2k, he tells me every day that he wishes he had bought a Z over his S2K. S2K has no room inside, no low end power and even on the top end it still cant hang with the Z's top end. On top of everything perf. mods give NO gains to the S2K because the engines compression is so high and all the current parts max out the cars potential. Last thing, I thoght someone had said the Z's interior is cheap, LOOK AT THE S2K it has NOTHING to the interior it is as plain jane as it gets.
The Z does hold an edge as far as straight line potential, but the S2K has the clear advantage as far as handling. Until you drive an S, you really won't know what we're talking about. The car feels like it's literally on rails through the twisties. That being said, there's not a whole lot of places where I'm from to make use of the S2K's handling traits (other than the autocross league), so it's not a concern for me.

As far as the interior, the Z's interior is cheap as far as quality (ie. squeaks, cd storage cover wobbly, etc.). The extra convenience/storage available more than makes up for it though IMO. The S2K interior is definitely plain jane and driver oriented, but the S2K has always been meant to be a pure, uncompromising sports car. If you want practicality, the S2K is not for you.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:16 PM
hbenet

The Z is a fantastic car. When they came out, Pagani (multi-millionaire owner/maker of the Zonda) bought one and claimed the Z could stand on his own when comparing it to his "other daily driver" the 911 TT.

In few words: Wait for a couple of moths, and either go with a new 05 (if you want to save some $$) or order a new 06, (go with one of the new three colors) and save yourself some headaches by avoiding any used pre <2004.5 Z.

Good lucK!
Old 07-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Racer Z
Banned

First of all...Your insurance WILL be higher if you go from the S2K to a Z Roadster (4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swap), since insurance on convertibles is higher than coupes....If you get the Z Coupe, of couse it will be somewhat lower.

I have an '05....Nissan seems to have fixed the tire feathering issue and tranny is fine.....I test drove a S2K and decided AGAINST it b/c Honda wouldn't budge on the price, it feels like a regular 4 cylinder Honda Civic when you're driving it slow, and I didn't want to shift every 5 seconds to feel the 240 HP.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 350Z Boston

Thanks
My alignment sheet says 2003-2004. I'm curious if 05's are different if anyone knows.

Note: Even though my toe was set as close as possible to the Nominal value(1mm), the TSB doesn't change the original stated values in the 2003 service manual but rather indicates the preferred Total Toe In is the Max. value of 2mm.

Of course, this contradicts the entire purpose of having a Nominal value to begin with since the word Nominal means the exact (or ideal) intended value for a specified parameter!

I don't think the TSB changes the ideal, but rather Nissan must be hedging their bets against inaccurate or uncalibrated alignment machines allowing Z's to drive around with toe out which causes feathering.
Attached Thumbnails Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z-alignment082604_after_sm.jpg  
Old 07-23-2005, 09:40 PM
davewo

Originally Posted by digdug
Thanks for all of your opinions. I guess what it may end up coming down to is how much each of their monthly costs end up being... I mean, if we've all come to the conclusion that both cars are pretty much on par with one another otherwise. Like I said in the initial post, I may save $********0 per month by owning the Z. But certainly don't want to take the plunge and have it spend significant time in the shop. Even if the car is still under warranty and they're picking up the tab, it will be a major PITA to be without for a few days at a time. I know I'd be happy in both cars. The transition to vtec on the s2k at 6krpms is a thing of beauty... it's hard to explain that rush. I know I'd miss it, but would definitely embrace the torque of the Z.

I don't know that I'd miss the convertible top all that much. It's so humid here anyway, that most days the top is up... one top-down cruise lets you know what it feels like to go for a spin in your clothes dryer, hot and damp! When the weather is nice I do drop the top and enjoy it, but don't know that I'd miss it too much.

Oh man, what to do, what to do..... Guess I need to go drive it. Maybe this weekend.
I had my s2000 for 2.5 years and it was a blast to drive in SHORT trips. The noise and harsh ride start to wear after awhile and this is where the Z does a better job. I have the Z convert touring, and with the top down you could still carry a conversation. On the S2000, even at low freeway speeds, its impossible to carry a conversation without yelling. I love both cars, each has a different personality.
BTW, the resale value for my s2000 was incredible. I got back 80% of the value back after 2.5 years. The Z won't hold its value. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:22 AM
digdug

Thanks everyone for all of the good info. I didn't have a chance to test drive the Z over the weekend like I had hoped. Just too many things to do. As my wife and I were leaving a restaurant last night we noticed that a Z had parked a few spots over. I took the chance to walk around and admire the car, and it looked better than ever. My wife agreed that I should at least go drive one. Why do I have this feeling that if I do I won't be able to say no to it?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:44 AM
ZlleH

Could be wrong, but I read somewhere in this forum that the original alignment was correct. The error or cause of the wrong alighment was because of the unorthedox way the car was strapped and transported to North America since the car is much lower then any nissan car before. Somehow that offset the correct alighnment.

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
My alignment sheet says 2003-2004. I'm curious if 05's are different if anyone knows.

Note: Even though my toe was set as close as possible to the Nominal value(1mm), the TSB doesn't change the original stated values in the 2003 service manual but rather indicates the preferred Total Toe In is the Max. value of 2mm.

Of course, this contradicts the entire purpose of having a Nominal value to begin with since the word Nominal means the exact (or ideal) intended value for a specified parameter!

I don't think the TSB changes the ideal, but rather Nissan must be hedging their bets against inaccurate or uncalibrated alignment machines allowing Z's to drive around with toe out which causes feathering.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:46 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by digdug
Why do I have this feeling that if I do I won't be able to say no to it?
B/C that's what happened to the rest of us!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:31 AM
350Zenophile

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Could be wrong, but I read somewhere in this forum that the original alignment was correct. The error or cause of the wrong alighment was because of the unorthedox way the car was strapped and transported to North America since the car is much lower then any nissan car before. Somehow that offset the correct alighnment.
I know that is what Nissan blamed the "pulls to the right" TSB on. The hold down straps bent the right control arm...but I haven't heard that or any explanation for the alignment being off from the factory.

Quick Reply: Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z