Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
digdug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z

First off, I love my s2k. It's an '03 that I've owned since new, and it has been 100% problem free. It's a beautiful car, very fun to drive, and the build quality is exceptional. My eye has been wandering in the direction of the Z for a while though. I haven't ever driven one, but I've heard they are fun to drive, and of course have a little more power and torque than the s2k. The Z is also a very nice looking car, and always catches my eye when I see one.

To add to this, I think the Z will actually be cheaper for me to own. I just got an insurance quote for one and it will actually be about $500 less per year... so $40/month difference. Not huge, but decent. Also, I could sell my s2k and pay off the loan. Then use whatever's left over as a down payment on a used Z and finance the difference for lets say 4 years. That would save me an additional $50/month. So, all told, I'd be spending approx. $90 less per month. That's a pretty significant difference in my book.

The issue I'm having is that I've been browsing these boards for a while, and I've been reading about all of the problem areas on the Z. Tire feathering & transmission problems seem to be the main areas. And yes, message boards are generally places where people come to have their problems diagnosed. So, the casual observer will get the impression that the car is nothing but problems. But having said that, the s2k boards don't have mile long threads about tire feathering, transmission replacements, etc. There aren't several s2k owners who are having their transmissions replaced for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time. And why can't Nissan fix the tire feathering issues in the '03 models, if the '05 seems to be w/out this issue. Seems to me whatever they changed to make it better for '05 should just be put on the '03s that come into the shop when their owners complain of tire feathering.

I'm not here to bash the Z, quite the contrary actually. I'm very interested in the car, but not if it's going to be one major headache. I know there are owners of '03 and '04 Z's that haven't had these issues, and in fact might be in my boat in that they've had no problems at all with their cars. But what I'm getting from this forum is that this is more the minority of owners than the majority. I came across the recent thread where one Z owner finally had enough of the problems with his Z and traded it for an s2k. So, I'm unsure of what the right move is.

The 2 cars are both very nice. I realize both have their faults... the s2k isn't prefect either (otherwise my eyes wouldn't be wandering). I was just hoping to get some of your opinions on the matter. If you have an '03 or '04 and haven't had any issues then please chime in. People who have owned both cars, how do you compare the two on build quality, exterior, interior, etc.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the length.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:29 AM
mojo powered

2004.5 Z with 9000+ miles.. over 25 passes on drag strip..

not one problem to date.. tranny is great, no feathering. Hope that helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
GotaRoadster

I also had to make a choice between the 350z and s2k. After reading about a billion reviews I went with an 04 350z roadster this is why:
more room in the interior and power at lower RPMs.
The only plus I've heard about the s2k is it handles like a bike and is a bit cheaper.
But no problems thus far.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
tractng

Digdug,

I have an '04 Z for over 1 1/2 year and is problem free. Like you, I like both cars. In fact, I almost bought the S2000 (even put a deposit down) a few times before buying the Z. I chicken out when I sat in the S2000 and felt it was too small for a daily driver.

As of today, I kind of wish I have bought the S2000 because it is a convertible and I live in SoCal. Bang for the buck, if you like the convertible, the S2000 is a better buy.

Guess I am keeping my Z until a new model is out.

btw, I have 19k on the odometer.

Tony
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
disturbed2483

well my cousin owns a 04' s2000 and well the car is beautiful i have driven it plenty of times, a little under powered in my opinion but it gets the job done, honda did amazing work with the build quality. I actually considered one when buying my z but once I drove the z I was hooked (torque is an amazing thing) I would suggest test driving one before you decide. Dont let the problems with the car scare you away like you said every car is gonna have it problems, yes some more than others. But for your own peace of mind i would suggest trying to find a "04.5" (built after august 04), it seems that those dont have as many problems as the 03.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 AM
alienx

I had an integra (which I loved!), but bought a GTI VR6 (all torque!) and then the Z after that. Both because I couldn't stand the VTEC torque curve, or lack thereof.

I wanted a S2000 when it came out but the dealers had it marked up 50%, which made it more expensive than an M3 or Corvette. They priced it out of its class.

Anyway. I had December built 2003 touring that I bought in March of 2003. I had none of the feathering or tranny problems. I just sold mine because I needed to get ready to move, and I had 3 cars. But I miss it every day!!

You have to take the forums with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the problems people discuss aren't real, but probably not as horrific. Look in any product forum of any type. People always complain.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Zexy

I love my Z. Have had no problems as of yet. I'd say the feathering problem is HIGHLY overrated and it is due to negative camber on the car. I can give a a crock of ish less if people think it's an bad issue(especially whiney ****ers who take the "issue" to the media), but i say it is not. Get a better tire that won't wear out so quickly and you won't have a problem. Manny people have done this and the issue "went away".

The only issue that would worry me if it arose would be the tranny problem but i have 10k miles already on my 04 with NO PROBLEMS. I think the tranny issue partly has to do with driving habits(only some people). Some people post their Z's with 8k miles have been on their 3rd tranny. I'm sorry to say but if the problem was the tranny itself, the issue would be more severe than it already is on all cars. Manual transmissions are driven by human hands and they should be dealt with smoothly and carefully. You're not driving a race car here either so don't use the shifter like you're pulling a b1tch's hair, lol. I always see occasional tranny issues with other cars as well.

The 03s do seem to have more issues than the 04.5-05 ones though, i will admit. If i were you i would buy a late 04-05. S2K and 350z are both great machines and are competitive.

Last edited by Zexy; 07-21-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
digdug

Thanks for the input everyone. If I were to get a Z I'd get a manual transmission, with the 18" wheels (not the track model though) no navigation, no leather. So, I guess that would be one step up from the base model, I think. It's hard to remember the different versions... the s2k only comes in one flavor, lol. What would be a decent price for this level Z as an '04.5?

And yes, I do need to go drive one. If I decide I don't like it (which I highly doubt), then there's no need for any more time spent on this.

Again, I appreciate the help. Keep the input coming.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You are thinking of the "performance" trim, 2 steps up from base.

If you're buying new, go for it. I'd only be wary if buying used.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
ppw350Zunit

i also was debating whether to get an s2k or a z but once i drove the z, i fell in love with the instant torque.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Jim 350Z Boston

Originally Posted by disturbed2483
well my cousin owns a 04' s2000 and well the car is beautiful i have driven it plenty of times, a little under powered in my opinion but it gets the job done, honda did amazing work with the build quality. I actually considered one when buying my z but once I drove the z I was hooked (torque is an amazing thing) I would suggest test driving one before you decide. Dont let the problems with the car scare you away like you said every car is gonna have it problems, yes some more than others. But for your own peace of mind i would suggest trying to find a "04.5" (built after august 04), it seems that those dont have as many problems as the 03.
Not to be picky, but after august 04, I believe the 05's were being built.

Of the 04.5's, the best one's in my opinion were built in the second factory that produced the Z in Japan, you can tell the letter M in the Vin#. This is when the problems seem to have be solved for the most part.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 PM
fahrenheit350

I've driven both cars. Needless to say I have a 350Z an love it. In my opinion the S2K is like a big go-cart, its small, high revvin engine, and a convertible. The S2K does hold the turns better than in the Z (but then again, you can get c/o or springs). Road noise (cabin noise) is about the same for both... loud. Where the Z pulls away is the torque, you definitely notice that 'umpth' off the line and it carries it nicely through the power band. My lil bro, who is a tech at honda would even pick a Z over the S2K. Lately he has been b*tchin about recalls/tsb that the s2k has but you def need to drive it to feel what it's like.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:35 PM
fahrenheit350

btw I have a 05' with 5k on the OD. Seems like they have fixed some of the past issues but the only issue I have is that the tranny makes more noise than I think it should, oh well, thats what the warranty is for.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:57 PM
MATTRESS MAN

I used to have an S2000, actually had both for a few days. What I'll always miss was what happend to the car at 6k rpm's. I actually prefer driving the S2000 over the Z, but the Z is a [/I]little[I] more practical, and if you're over 6ft like I am, the S2000 can make you feel a little claustrophobic.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 PM
MATTRESS MAN

Here...
Attached Thumbnails Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z-s2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 350Z Boston
Of the 04.5's, the best one's in my opinion were built in the second factory that produced the Z in Japan, you can tell the letter M in the Vin#. This is when the problems seem to have be solved for the most part.
I have a Tochigi plant car (M) and it was delivered with a **** poor alignment characterized by a pull to the right. I had it aligned and then the pull came back and had it aligned again with no problems since. I only have 4500 miles but no other complaints besides some interior rattles that come and go. The tranny was a bit hard to get into 2nd but broke in nicely and that's no longer a problem.

I really love this car...more than any other I've owned.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 PM
RPM_204

I owned an 01 S2K before the Z, and I wish I had the funds available to own one of each. For me, it came down to the practicality of the Z. More space, cupholders that (when in use) didn't get in the way of shifting, TCS, VDC, sunglass holder, more storage, low end torque for daily driving, etc. The S2K was definitely much more fun to drive and I felt more connected to the road than in the Z. Nothing like top down cruising either, but there are very few days in any given year to enjoy that where I'm from. And that wouldn't necessarily be an advantage for the S2K, because the Z is also available in a drop top (although they look hideous with the top up IMO). To make things short, they are both excellent cars with the S2K having an edge as far as fun factor, and the Z having an edge as far as practicality. This vehicle being my daily driver in the summer, practicality became the deciding factor in my decision to change to a Z.

As far as build quality, I don't think it's fair to compare a Honda and a Nissan. Nissan has a bit of catching up to do in that category. The interior of the Z may seem cheap to many, but I find it suits me a lot better than the lack of an interior found in the S2K. The extra cup holder on the passenger side dash, for example, is a huge plus as the gf always seems to have a drink. Myself being somewhat of an audio fanatic, the interior of the Z also presents a lot more options for nice installs than the S2K. I can actually install an in dash dvd deck in the Z, whereas with the S2K, I would have had to have the screen custom fitted into a dash. Not to mention sub/amp placement.

I'll cut this short, as I'm sure we could go on and on about this topic. Hopefully you'll make the right decision on which car works out best for you. One thing's for sure, you can't go wrong with either choice...
Old 07-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by fahrenheit350
I've driven both cars. Needless to say I have a 350Z an love it. In my opinion the S2K is like a big go-cart, its small, high revvin engine, and a convertible. The S2K does hold the turns better than in the Z (but then again, you can get c/o or springs). Road noise (cabin noise) is about the same for both... loud. Where the Z pulls away is the torque, you definitely notice that 'umpth' off the line and it carries it nicely through the power band. My lil bro, who is a tech at honda would even pick a Z over the S2K. Lately he has been b*tchin about recalls/tsb that the s2k has but you def need to drive it to feel what it's like.

Same here, the Z has UMPHHHHH in stock form... Well the S2000 is light and handles like a Go-Kart. Though and here is where the Z outshines def. is AFTERMARKET performance. What I am meaning is it is much easier to modify a Z than a S2K for power. While power can be made in a S2K it will cost much more and take more time to either boost safely (turbo or supercharge) or to do heavy N/A upgrades.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
bloodwings19

We owned a S2K for 4 years accumulated a total of 9K miles before we traded for a Z06. I have to tell you if you have S2K, keep it. Both have highs and lows, high being for the S2K are the HID lights, effortless shifter and awesome steering response. I love the Z for being grippy on the road, comfortable cockpit and style/mods. I would only buy the Z, if the S2K warranty is out, or it has high mileage. I only miss the S2K when it is clear skies with low humidity. Go with what makes you happy.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by bloodwings19
We owned a S2K for 4 years accumulated a total of 9K miles before we traded for a Z06. I have to tell you if you have S2K, keep it. Both have highs and lows, high being for the S2K are the HID lights, effortless shifter and awesome steering response. I love the Z for being grippy on the road, comfortable cockpit and style/mods. I would only buy the Z, if the S2K warranty is out, or it has high mileage. I only miss the S2K when it is clear skies with low humidity. Go with what makes you happy.
Don't you get HID's with the higher Z trims, well all the trims except for the Base version Z.

Also there is the Z convt. which is offered in two different trim levels... So still...

350Z > S2000

Quick Reply: Own an s2k, but I'm interested in the Z