Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

stolen 350s

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Mantis3024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way to prevent you car from being stolen is to use a club. Its old but still effective.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
KPierson
Banned

All newer Nissans suffer from the same security flaws. No special tool is needed to open the door without the alarm going off, it can be done with a flathead screwdriver.

The factory ignition kill IS a complicated system, its not just a simple resistor. The chip in the key transmits a signal to a ring around the key cylinder. This signal is monitored by the ECU, and if it isn't the expected signal then the car won't start.

This is easily bypassed, too, unfortunately.

Aftermarket car alarms are great for a visual deterant, but they won't keep your car safe against a professional thief. All security sytems have weaknesses, and pro thiefs (and alarm experts) know how to exploit them.

Your best bet is to always know where you car is. Park it well lit places close to buildings.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 PM
bamyi

...or always have full coverage and keep current with your payments.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by bamyi
With the way they are selling, its getting there. And if honda's with key/chips can be stolen, why not Zs?
i know im seiing MANY more Z's on the streets than i used to.. so much for a little exclusivity!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by Mantis3024
Best way to prevent you car from being stolen is to use a club. Its old but still effective.
Not it's not. I saw a documentary on auto theft called Stolen Every 60 Seconds. They showed people sawing thru the steering wheel or a guy breaking it using a huge pipe for leverage over one of the "prongs" and using his legs.

They spoke to an former auto-theft ring leader who used the AutoLock himself. (http://www.autobarn.net/law1440.html, I'm not sure if this is the official site). He basically said that he came across a car w/a Club, he could take it. If it had a Club and an alarm, he could still probably take it. If it had Club, AutoLock and alarm, he'd probably not bother (or couldn't?) becuase that's 3 things he has to bypass.

The reasoning is that AutoLock is attached to one of the strongest parts of the car, the brake column (or clutch) instead of the steering wheel which has to give quite a bit in impact. So, what it attaches is tougher to cut through.

I think part of the reasons for Zs not being stolen as much is there's not as much of a reason to (fewer candidate cars for the stolen parts to go into) and the # of Zs out there are a lot smaller.

(I'm not Honda guy so I don't know the engines well. ) For Civics and Integras it's cuz of the interchangability of parts and all the different engines. Like, somebody might have a wimpy Civic might want an engine from an Integra GS-R.

There are no huge differences in the engines between the various 350Z trims and years. It also makes no sense for a thief to steal a Z's V6 to put in an Altima V6 (maybe the 2.5 but then he'd need a tranny, and a RWD tranny won't exactly work in a FWD Altima) or a Maxima. So many other Nissans have the 3.5L VQ V6 as well... All the current RWD Nissans have the 3.5L VQ V6 or above anyway.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:23 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by rolling
i know im seiing MANY more Z's on the streets than i used to.. so much for a little exclusivity!
Imo I still think we are in a minority yet, I mean honda's, toyota's, hyundai's etc.. they must be in millions (or seems like it, motherload nonetheless) dont think nissan even makes or made that many Z's.

Gap and full coverage like the others have stated, best protection bar none.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 AM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by zipgun
Imo I still think we are in a minority yet, I mean honda's, toyota's, hyundai's etc.. they must be in millions (or seems like it, motherload nonetheless) dont think nissan even makes or made that many Z's.

Gap and full coverage like the others have stated, best protection bar none.
Here are some US auto sales figures for reference.

For December 2004:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...05/314644.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...04/313806.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...04/313808.html
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...04102108.shtml

For August 2005:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/141875.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/141884.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/141929.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/141873.html
Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 AM
jamnew

i asked this same question a year ago and had a few responses. have anyone had their Z stolen without the use of keys? I keep having dreams that when I return to my Z, its gone!

Get the Lojack early warning system and get some sleep. It comes with a sensor that attaches to your key chain. If your car is started without that sensor in the car it triggers an alarm at Lojack headquarters and they will call you at any of 5 phone numbers or emails addresses. You check on your car and either empty a clip in the little thief or call your local PD who will track the car and make an arrest.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
bamyi

Originally Posted by jamnew
thief or call your local PD who will track the car and make an arrest.
Regarding the club, if someones breaks into my car and causes damage, I would rather they take it and destroy it that I way I get a new Z. So far, I think the best thing is LoJack, in our patrol car we have a gps unit that JoJack sent to us to install in our vehicles. Haven't use it yet but it seems cool. Once the car is reported stolen, LoJack notifies us, and automacticlly starts up our GPS unit which updates every 5 sec.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cwerdna
Not it's not. I saw a documentary on auto theft called Stolen Every 60 Seconds. They showed people sawing thru the steering wheel or a guy breaking it using a huge pipe for leverage over one of the "prongs" and using his legs.
Yeah, I've seen the saw and pipe technique on documentaries before. But they interviewed one cop who said that car thieves tend to be lazy, and if it takes too much effort, they might bypass your car, choosing to boost the car next to yours without the club.

Either way, I figure if a thief wants your car bad enough, they can get it. They actually stole my '94 Integra before (ridiculously easy to steal), right in front of my apartment. The police did find it though (luckily, minimal damage/stripping).
Old 09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
MX350

any car can be stolen.....just leave it parked in certain parts of mexico city
Old 09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
zipgun

Thanks for the links very intresting
Old 09-08-2005, 08:05 PM
lgreene

The ultimate anti-theft device IMHO is a Baby monitor. I have used one for years with my Integra Type R and my now w/ my RSX type S. I plan on using it w/ my Z when I actually get around to buying one lol. I have a really fancy one w/ night vison. I have a hidden spot in my car where It's located it that allows me to see virtually everything inside the vehicle. It's great b/c I can see and hear whats going on inside my vehicle in real time, whether its parked outside over night or whatever, it really works wonders. I never loose an ounce of sleep. It's definatley one of the best investments I've made for my car. I only paid 175 for it, you could prob find one for ALOT cheaper now. I only paid that much cause I bought mine a few years ago. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by lgreene; 09-08-2005 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lgreene
The ultimate anti-theft device IMHO is a Baby monitor. I have used one for years with my Integra Type R and my now w/ my RSX type S. I plan on using it w/ my Z when I actually get around to buying one lol. I have a really fancy one w/ night vison. I have a hidden spot in my car where It's located it that allows me to see virtually everything inside the vehicle. It's great b/c I can see and hear whats going on inside my vehicle in real time, whether its parked outside over night or whatever, it really works wonders. I never loose an ounce of sleep. It's definatley one of the best investments I've made for my car. I only paid 175 for it, you could prob find one for ALOT cheaper now. I only paid that much cause I bought mine a few years ago. Hope this info helps.
Interesting...what's the range on those things?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:59 PM
bamyi

The high end car thiefs don't go after your everyday car, they target $50k cars and above, but the Z might be on the list since it looks like a $50k car.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lgreene

That's actually a really good idea...

I think even just one with sound would be good enough though!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:55 PM
zipgun

The high end car thiefs don't go after your everyday car, they target $50k cars and above, but the Z might be on the list since it looks like a $50k car.
I think a "High End" car thief would have in depth knowledge on all cars.. and hence would know the difference.

Last edited by zipgun; 09-08-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:19 PM
lilaznxboi08

haha a baby monitor... and i thought i was crazy about my car
Old 09-08-2005, 11:54 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by zipgun
I think a "High End" car thief would have in depth knowledge on all cars.. and hence would know the difference.
They should but they're not stealing them for themselves.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 PM
hallnz

It's very simple if they want it, it's gone (in a lot less than 60sec). I promise. The only thing you can do is make yours less likely than the next guys. Turn down your stereo when you arrive at your destination. I used to run with some boys who would watch where the loud guy parked and while he was in the local store they'd pop his ride. G-O-N-E gone. Lock it, club it, alarm it, starter kills, fuel line cut offs, magnetic reed switches hidden in the dash. Seen it all. My buddy wired his ride up where you gotta put the ignition in the on position, then he's gotta hold a momentary switch under the console which energizes the reed switch hidden behind the dash board. Then he waves a magnet across his dash (where the reed switch is) which closes the switch and then he can finish starting his truck (with the key). It's really that complicated every time he starts his truck. But the funny thing is even with all that you pull a hot wire to the ignition or if you know where the coil wire (or starter wire) crosses through the firewall then pop a hot line right to it and all the starter kill stuff has just been bypassed.

If they miss once they know what the reason was and it's gone the next time. Don't loose any sleep over it. They strip of all the non serial numbered parts and then dump it on the side of the road. Then go to the auctions and wait for it to show up after insurance totals it. Then they buy it cheep and put it all back together. No joke I actually watched a guy buy it. They are all in it together. Someone started bidding on it and the guy walked up and said hey that one's mine. So the guy stopped bidding. I about shat my pants. It's crazy. By buddies neighbor used to do it all the time. Car is completely working and now completely legal. He stole it laundered it and now drives it and there is nothing the cops can do about it.

That's why all our insurance keeps going up. If you want to catch them then you have to think one step ahead of them. Engrave parts that aren't serial numbered. Hide some of the engravings so they don't know it's there. Like inside the wheels or on the bakc of a spoke or in the lugnut area, somewhere where they won't see it. Then when (if) you see your ride on the rode call the PD and tell them you can positively identify it. Or fool them by, putting a sticker from say xyz alarm company but have an abc alarm installed. So they go looking for the xyz installation spot and it's in abc location. That wastes time and hopefully gives you enough time to interupt them. Car alarms like Alpine also have pagers (withing 2 miles) that will page you when your alarm goes off.

Just make it less desirable than the guy next to you. Sleeper cars and turn your system down. Put lots of LEDs and the club on it. Anything they can see and the more they see the less likely they are. If yours takes more time they don't want it. It's risk to reward If they know it's got a smoken system or it's all pimped out then they will waste the time.

Sorry to say but it's all true.

Last edited by hallnz; 09-09-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: stolen 350s