Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

any one test drive back to back 276 hp vs 300hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 PM
ssgohan434

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your gonna go FI, ur still gonna have to build up the motor no matter if its the 300hp motor vs the 287hp motor.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssgohan434
If your gonna go FI, ur still gonna have to build up the motor no matter if its the 300hp motor vs the 287hp motor.
If this motors rods are better than the last than he can safely boost 8psi on the stock motor. I think I am sold. I was going to buy a Z and strap an APS kit to it and call it quits after some wheels and stereo. If I can get 450rwhp reliably out of this new motor then it's worth it.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
cnynracer1

Originally Posted by TK2005
If this motors rods are better than the last than he can safely boost 8psi on the stock motor. I think I am sold. I was going to buy a Z and strap an APS kit to it and call it quits after some wheels and stereo. If I can get 450rwhp reliably out of this new motor then it's worth it.
Exactly. I've only had my Z for a few days, so I have a lot to learn, but my bone-stock SR20DE Nissan motor made 300+ hp on the street daily, and 380whp on the dyno! That motor was not built for Forced Induction, but it took it like a champ. I ran a JWT ECU which made it stupid-simple to crank the boost and resist detonation as long as I was running the right fuel.

I think saying that you have to build a motor for FI is ridiculous, unless you are planning on making 450+ to the wheels. Smart tuning, and managed boost levels should give you a reliable Z with some tire roasting power.

My only worry would be the VQ35's open-deck design. But even with this type of design, I think a daily 350 to the wheels, and max 450 to the wheels is attainable with proper tuning. What is the stock block record here?

Last edited by cnynracer1; 07-26-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Camel

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Hey did you get splash guards on your 35th? I didnt get any on mine, not that it matters cause I like them without it.
I bought the fronts from my dealer who had them in stock and installed them myself. I think the rears look ridiculous, so I used some strips of Clearbra material behind the rear wheels. The fronts dont look too bad, they blend in mostly I think... especially on the black car. Due to past experience with other cars, on inspection of the Z I concluded that I'd probably get rock chips along the rocker panels, so I solved the problem preemptively. I'd rather touch-up the inside facing portion of a splashguard than the side of my car.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cnynracer1
Exactly. I've only had my Z for a few days, so I have a lot to learn, but my bone-stock SR20DE Nissan motor made 300+ hp on the street daily, and 380whp on the dyno! That motor was not built for Forced Induction, but it took it like a champ. I ran a JWT ECU which made it stupid-simple to crank the boost and resist detonation as long as I was running the right fuel.

I think saying that you have to build a motor for FI is ridiculous, unless you are planning on making 450+ to the wheels. Smart tuning, and managed boost levels should give you a reliable Z with some tire roasting power.

My only worry would be the VQ35's open-deck design. But even with this type of design, I think a daily 350 to the wheels, and max 450 to the wheels is attainable with proper tuning. What is the stock block record here?

The GRD shop in Naperville, IL. is running around 500whp to the wheels on a stock motor using a TT kit. They have around 25k + on it. Tuan is a pretty awesome tuner.

And on the 287hp vs 300hp topic. You could just get a Base model, spend $1500 on certain AIR mods and up it a little to 300hp and 295tq at the flywheel. That's what I did with an intake, plenum spacer, headers and HF cats.

Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 07-27-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:53 AM
TK2005

Originally Posted by Zquicksilver
The GRD shop in Naperville, IL. is running around 500whp to the wheels on a stock motor using a TT kit. They have around 25k + on it. Tuan is a pretty awesome tuner.

And on the 287hp vs 300hp topic. You could just get a Base model, spend $1500 on certain AIR mods and up it a little to 300hp and 295tq at the flywheel. That's what I did with an intake, plenum spacer, headers and HF cats.

Zquicksilver
The whole point of this thread is that the 300hp engine is not just a 13hp increase but a better engine. No one cares 13 hp in either direction.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:19 AM
cnynracer1

How much boost to get 500whp. Do you have a link or more info on their configuration?

That's geat. But you still don't have the VTC, better flowing heads, re-designed cams, re-mapped ECU and stronger bottom end.

Like TK2005 said, this Thread isn't about an extra 13hp. It's about the dynamics of the new motor, and how it will respond to mods and FI. I am talking to my friend Ben at JWT regarding whether or not the new CARB approved kit will include the 2005 new motor design.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Camel

Yeah but mine is under warranty. The power difference is nominal, and I agree with these guys that the most compelling reason to opt for the 300hp configuration is due to the internal changes.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I hope you guys all know that no FI on the market for the Z will work on the Rev Up motor to my understanding.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 AM
cnynracer1

I hope you guys all know that no FI on the market for the Z will work on the Rev Up motor to my understanding.
Correct. I am trying to work the details out with JWT, to see when/if they will support the new motor on their CARB approved kit.

If all the trim levels will use the Rev Up motor in 2006, then there is a compelling argument for them to support this motor.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:05 PM
TK2005

I talked to Kyle at SGP and he said there isn't any problem with building this motor. I may have bad info but that is the info I got. I might call again and see if he has actually built any with the newer motor. Maybe he is under the impression there isn't any difference between the two.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 PM
TK2005

Yep, just got off the phone with Kyle @ SGP and he says they have built some and haven't run into any problems. I have also found a good deal on an 05 Track which I will be going to see tonight and since I plan to have SGP build my car, I think I'll take Kyle's word for it.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
samy2000

The Dyno shows that the rev up motor has the same torque at the wheels compared to the older engine while boosting an extra 8hp at the wheels. Not sure why the car has a slower 0-60 in many of the tests, but than again it all comes down to the driver and how much the car weighs, blah blah blah.
I currently have 2004 Z, and i drove the new one and it is a hell of a different car, it seems that allot of the problems in the current Z have been fixed (or maybe it appears so since i only drove it for 15 mins). Anyways, the car pulls alot faster off the line, its smoother at high RPM and doesn't feel like the engine is going to explode when you push it, it just wants more. The drivetrain was also very smooth, no noises from the trasmission and the shifter was not slugish (almost felt like the S2000 shifter finally). Also the exhaust sounded a little more aggressive.

My take on this, go with the rev up engine hands down if you have the choice the car drives alot better.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

I just spoke with SGP and apparently they installed a Greddy TT on an 05 G coupe 6MT. I was not able to obtain a lot of info, what my main concern was if they were able to retain the use of the variable timing and to see if there were any differences in boost with the Rev Up motor. They said they will get me more info.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
TK2005

I just spoke with SGP and apparently they installed a Greddy TT on an 05 G coupe 6MT. I was not able to obtain a lot of info, what my main concern was if they were able to retain the use of the variable timing and to see if there were any differences in boost with the Rev Up motor. They said they will get me more info.
Thanks for checking and doing some research. I am sure a lot of people on this site will appreciate the info you can get us. Too bad you guys are so far away from us. We got Courtesy Nissan though and they're pretty good.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 AM
rednezz

Originally Posted by samy2000
The Dyno shows that the rev up motor has the same torque at the wheels compared to the older engine while boosting an extra 8hp at the wheels. Not sure why the car has a slower 0-60 in many of the tests, but than again it all comes down to the driver and how much the car weighs, blah blah blah.

All the articles I read tested the 35th Anniversary and it had a curb weight of 3300+lbs. I believe that is why the 1/4 mile times are about the same.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by TK2005
The whole point of this thread is that the 300hp engine is not just a 13hp increase but a better engine. No one cares 13 hp in either direction.
They better have improved the engine among other things. Why would Nissan go backwards...? It's just too bad they upped the HP for advertisement reasons, but lost torque, which they don't really boast in the ads. I guess give in take without raising investmet or manu. cost. Shift the power around for better appeal.

Originally Posted by cnynracer1
How much boost to get 500whp. Do you have a link or more info on their configuration?

That's geat. But you still don't have the VTC, better flowing heads, re-designed cams, re-mapped ECU and stronger bottom end.

Like TK2005 said, this Thread isn't about an extra 13hp. It's about the dynamics of the new motor, and how it will respond to mods and FI. I am talking to my friend Ben at JWT regarding whether or not the new CARB approved kit will include the 2005 new motor design.

Check out GRD's website...

Also read the first post, DS... they guys trying to decide whether to spend another $10k for 13hp and a loss in torque. It's not about mods or FI. VTC, your too funny...yea, I really need that. You might want to check out my sig too. I doubt your 05 headers are better flowing than mine.

One more thing...do you know what I can do with $10k on a base model... FI, LSD, Wheels... Either way, I think it's great that you guys bought the 35th annv.. I hope you enjoy it

Zquicksilver
Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM
cnynracer1

Also read the first post, DS... they guys trying to decide whether to spend another $10k for 13hp and a loss in torque. It's not about mods or FI. VTC, your too funny...yea, I really need that. You might want to check out my sig too. I doubt your 05 headers are better flowing than mine.
I spent an extra $4,400. The original poster is getting ripped for $10k.

And we are trying to educate him on why this motor is worth the extra amount of money. I don't care what you have on your engine, the point is if I put the same on mine, I would extract more horsepower than you would.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Zquicksilver

cnynracer1, don't get your TWs all up in a bunch.

I'm just looking at msrp... Base = $26,800 vs 35th annv. $36,200. Problem is... for $4,400 you can get a measly (287hp motor) built way beyond what you were "hoping" for out of the great (300hp motor). Think before you write, jeez. And I know you don't care what I have done to my engine, because you know I was right.

Don't start a war you can't fight...

Zquicksilver
Old 07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
TK2005

cnynracer1, don't get your TWs all up in a bunch.

I'm just looking at msrp... Base = $26,800 vs 35th annv. $36,200. Problem is... for $4,400 you can get a measly (287hp motor) built way beyond what you were "hoping" for out of the great (300hp motor). Think before you write, jeez. And I know you don't care what I have done to my engine, because you know I was right.

Don't start a war you can't fight...

Zquicksilver
You appear to be very selective in what parts of this thread you want to read. Maybe you are not understanding him. The new (300hp) motor is supposed to be a better motor and will take the mods better. In theory (I haven't tested it) if you and he bought the same mods for your different motors, his car would show more response to the mods and out power your car. Like if you added an exhaust and gained 8hp, he would get the same exhaust and make 11hp. These are just examples and not tested.

Quick Reply: any one test drive back to back 276 hp vs 300hp