Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

any one test drive back to back 276 hp vs 300hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 AM
Nano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
BUT, invest that same amount of money into a Rev Up motor as I have and you will see a lot better gains over the 287HP motor. This is my second Z that I have owned and in my honest opinion, the Rev Up motor feels a lot more refined than the 287HP. This is just my opinion.
the problem is, the rev-up motor version is already 10K more expensive than the base. the 2006 base with a rev-up motor would make a better comparisson.

I've tryied a 2005 g35 coupe 6MT about a month ago, with the 298hp rev-up motor, and honestly it felt nothing "refined". The car was refined, but the engine was normal. I couldn't tell the difference, except the car felt heavy and sluggish and the extra rev didn't change much to the feeling. (atleast on g35)
Old 07-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Nano
the problem is, the rev-up motor version is already 10K more expensive than the base. the 2006 base with a rev-up motor would make a better comparisson.

I've tryied a 2005 g35 coupe 6MT about a month ago, with the 298hp rev-up motor, and honestly it felt nothing "refined". The car was refined, but the engine was normal. I couldn't tell the difference, except the car felt heavy and sluggish and the extra rev didn't change much to the feeling. (atleast on g35)
Well it depends on what trim model you go with with an 05. You can still get a Track with the Rev Up motor that will be slightly cheaper than the Base. Honestly, if you guys are that price conscious about purchasing a Z, Id wait for the 06 Base with the Rev Up motor like you said. Only reason why I went with the 35th is because I originally wanted a DB Track but seeing that it was a 4 month wait and we had a SB 6MT 35th on the lot, I took that. I had a Touring before with everything except for Nav, I wasnt about to downgrade to a Base or Enthusiast, I had to upgrade. I really like the 35th, I think it is unique in its own way, looks like a Track but you get all the ammenities of a Touring or a G Coupe but all the same charactersitics that a Z should have. Besides, Im not about to spend 36 grand on a car and not have leather or Nav, thats just me though.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:19 AM
Nano

Besides, Im not about to spend 36 grand on a car and not have leather or Nav, thats just me though.
That is the reason track models are doing so poor and they have not been imported in Canada for 2005. The only thing "most" people care about are the luxo options... the more the better.

In canada in 2005 we have only 3 versions

a Performance... which is a fully loaded 287hp engine Z (I mean EVERYTHING except Nav and Brembo).
a Touring... which is same as performance, except it's automatic
a 35th ann... which is the same as the USA.

For me it's a curse as I don't care about all that ****. I only care about the performance of the car, I can't care less about the leather, or VDC, or Xenons or all that luxo crap. It's not about being money conscious, it's about being performance conscious. I know I will upgrade everything anyway, why spend for stuff I'm going to throw out the window?

I wish we had a base here. To me it's CLEARLY the most performance orriented model. Even more than the track.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 AM
TiPIACE

our spec Tracks are fully loaded

but we dont get Nav or xenons.......xenons dont comply with our design rules and the Nav infrastructure isnt available as freely as it is in the US yet

the Ann adds the rims, diff Z badges on the fender and the engine to a Track
Old 07-30-2005, 10:36 AM
lowrider

Back to Back Dyno - '03 6MT modded "G" vs. '05 Plenum moded only 6MT with "Z" Tube "G"

My car is a 2003 "G" 6MT Coupe.

Mods:
TechnoSquare Crawford Reflash ECU
JWT PopCharger with "Z" Tube
Crawford V4 Plenum
Crawford HiFlow Cats
Crawford Headers
Invidia G200 Dual Exhaust with "H" Pipe
Ground Wires

It's a warm night here in Tucson, about 94F, so horsepower levels are probably a bit low. Anyway, the '05 went on the Dyno first, does three runs, and he has a range of from 236 to 242 horspower. We then do a switch and add the Motordyne 3/8" Plenum Spacer. This is the first one I've seen, and it is a real stealth mod. He wants to see if it works. Does three more pulls and he gets 248 horspower for each of his runs. So yes, to put all rumors aside. I saw exactly what he did. Six runs back to back. Plenums do work on the new engine.

Now it's my turn! The techs are just buttoning up my up my car, and we all want to see how the old modded engine, does against his new Hi-Rev 2005 engine. So I start up my car, sounds great BTW, and drive it on to the Dyno. My modded ECU has been reset, because the battery has been disconnected for a day and a half. The same guy who dynoed the '05 drives my car on the Dyno, 3 pulls. Results all exactly the same. HP and Torque are corrected SAE. I've attached the results My Lines are Blue, the 2005 with the Motordyne is Red. We peak about the same 248HP, but I peak 7-1/2 pound feet of torque higher then him. And if you look and the curves, I beat him in all the power ranges up to about 6000 RPM, we look the same from 6000 to 6500 where the new plenum runners, ECU and cam take me by about 1/2HP. I was hoping for a run of 250, but what the heck.

Lou
Attached Thumbnails any one test drive back to back 276 hp vs 300hp-dyno0.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
cnynracer1

Originally Posted by lowrider
Back to Back Dyno - '03 6MT modded "G" vs. '05 Plenum moded only 6MT with "Z" Tube "G"
Wow, thanks for the footwork there lowrider.

So the 05 had ONLY the z-tube and plenum spacer, and made as much power as your car with all of the mods listed below?

Mods:
TechnoSquare Crawford Reflash ECU
JWT PopCharger with "Z" Tube
Crawford V4 Plenum
Crawford HiFlow Cats
Crawford Headers
Invidia G200 Dual Exhaust with "H" Pipe
Ground Wires
If so, that is incredible. Way to go Nissan on the new motor!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by lowrider

Lou

The 05 only catches up after 6500rpm, where the 03 drops like hell.

Honestly, I think your 03 dyno is clearly "stronger", your torque and power curve area are significantly higher than the 05 all the way to 6500rpm (about + ~10hp all the way to 6000rpm). The reason the 05 keeps going is the more aggressive cams and extra VTTC my guess.

The 05 engine is clearly an improvement. But at the dragstrip, or at stoplight, your 03 would be in front. On a road course, the 05 will have the edge, as you usually are above 5000rpm always.

Last edited by Nano; 07-30-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:45 PM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 05 only catches up after 6500rpm, where the 03 drops like hell.

Honestly, I think your 03 dyno is clearly "stronger", your torque and power curve area are significantly higher than the 05 all the way to 6500rpm (about + 10-15hp all the way to 5000rpm). The reason the 05 keeps going is the more aggressive cams and extra VTTC my guess.

The 05 engine is clearly supperior. But at the dragstrip, or at stoplight, your 03 would eat the 05. on a road course, the 05 may have the edge, as you usually are above 5000rpm always.
If you notice, the 03 has a lot more mods just to be that little bit ahead of the 05. If the 05 had all the same mods, it would be stronger.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by TK2005
If you notice, the 03 has a lot more mods just to be that little bit ahead of the 05. If the 05 had all the same mods, it would be stronger.
I know the 03 is modded. But in my opinion, the 03 is not just "a little bit" ahead, even though it peaks the same, the difference in area is significant up to 6000rpm, and then the same up to 6500rpm... then the 03 starts running out of steam. at 7000 rpm, the 05 is producing about extra ~15hp

Also, this kind of proves the +40hp crawford package BS.

Last edited by Nano; 07-30-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:44 PM
cnynracer1

The 03 in that dyno would smoke the 05 in that dyno.

But the 05 with the same mods, would have the 03 for lunch.

So to answer the ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION, there is a HUGE difference between the two motors!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:05 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by cnynracer1
The 03 in that dyno would smoke the 05 in that dyno.

But the 05 with the same mods, would have the 03 for lunch.

So to answer the ORIGINAL POSTERS QUESTION, there is a HUGE difference between the two motors!
I don't think the point we have been trying to make since the original post is ever going to get through to some of these people.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
thawk408

Ok, I have an 05 track with all the mods in my sig. I have only dynoed stock and then with the crawford plenum. I am the one that Andy is talking about that dynoed 262whp with JUST the plenum. I will be going to they dyno again hopefully sometime next week to dyno again with the crawford headers, highflow cats, borla TD, and the popcharger (same dyno that Doug does all his testing on). The car is immensely faster that stock. I have not installed the Popcharger yet, but I hope I will be able to feel some difference. Here is a dyno of my stock run overlayed with the plenum run:
http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=sJKGpr

I believe that the 287hp motor is still a good motor and if I was going to build it up for FI I would of gotten one. For me I wanted to go all NA so I choose the 300hp motor. The best thing of all is my car is way faster then stock and I still have the warranty. I will post about my next dyno run hopefully soon.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:35 PM
TK2005

Originally Posted by thawk408
Ok, I have an 05 track with all the mods in my sig. I have only dynoed stock and then with the crawford plenum. I am the one that Andy is talking about that dynoed 262whp with JUST the plenum. I will be going to they dyno again hopefully sometime next week to dyno again with the crawford headers, highflow cats, borla TD, and the popcharger (same dyno that Doug does all his testing on). The car is immensely faster that stock. I have not installed the Popcharger yet, but I hope I will be able to feel some difference. Here is a dyno of my stock run overlayed with the plenum run:

I believe that the 287hp motor is still a good motor and if I was going to build it up for FI I would of gotten one. For me I wanted to go all NA so I choose the 300hp motor. The best thing of all is my car is way faster then stock and I still have the warranty. I will post about my next dyno run hopefully soon.
Just curious....why would you want to build the 287 motor if the 300 motor responds so much better to mods?
Old 07-30-2005, 02:40 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by TK2005
Just curious....why would you want to build the 287 motor if the 300 motor responds so much better to mods?
I said if I was going to build it for twin turbo. No use in spending all the extra money if I am going to replace everything in the motor anyways.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Nano

Originally Posted by cnynracer1
287HP engines have been pushed to 285-295rwhp (not that hard to reach)

Until I see a rev-up engine blowing the 300rwhp mark, the difference is FAR from huge. it's a better engine not doubt, but HUGE difference? Come on... if this is a huge difference, I live on another scaling order. I love it when people blow things out of proportions

Unless Thawk starts modding the hell out of his car, I guess we will know next year, when these engines are everywhere.

BTW, I might refresh you on the original posters question. It's :

"Does it feel a lot different..? from a stop from rolling.."

No it doesn't, from both a stop and a roll, the 287hp engine should "feel" as it's pulling harder. From higher RPM downshifts, the rev-up engine might have an edge.

Last edited by Nano; 07-30-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

287HP engines have been pushed to 285-295rwhp (not that hard to reach)

Until I see a rev-up engine blowing the 300rwhp mark, the difference is FAR from huge. it's a better engine not doubt, but HUGE difference? Come on... if this is a huge difference, I live on another scaling order. I love it when people blow things out of proportions

Unless Thawk starts modding the hell out of his car, I guess we will know next year, when these engines are everywhere.
Lets keep in mind that 285-295whp is achieved on the 287HP motor with aftermarket cams, there are no cams available for the Rev Up motor but with all the bolt ons alone, I sincerely believe you will be able to see a Rev Up motor without cams that will hit 280-300whp. Im sure thawk408 and myself will be able to prove that in the following months. I havent been able to get on the dyno myself after I installed the headers and exhaust but there was a very noticable difference in power.

Tony and I both got our cars dynoed the same day, same place, same time and he had just installed Nismo cams and Nismo headers on top of everything else had on his car which is a lot more than what I had done to my car. I was running only Crawford cats, JWT Pop Charger, and a UR crank pulley and he pulled in 268whp while my car pulled in 255whp. For a 287HP engine with cams, thats not too big of a difference though Tonys car was still not running all that great because the ECU wasnt properly tuned for the cams. After the dyno, Tony got his ECU reflashed and now it runs so much more better, Im sure he is putting down 280+ at the wheels but I am sure that I will be able to reach that number without cams.

We are not saying that the 287HP motor is inferior to the Rev Up motor. It seems like people are taking it the wrong way. All we are doing is justifying that the Rev Up motor is a big improvement from its original powerplant and now has a lot more potential than the 287HP motor which has been clearly proven on this thread. Now is it worth the extra $$$? Thats to each his own.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:22 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by thawk408

Yo Thawk, are you running a SES light? I am. There is a TSB for it, my SES light had come on and it was spitting out a code that there was an exhaust leak but Nissan released a TSB saying that the O2 sensors were bad so we replaced both of them and clear the long term memory on the ECM. We did that but after a few miles the SES light still kicks on and spits the same code. The techs were saying its probably because of my headers, cats, and exhaust and the O2 sensor is reading so much air that it thinks there is an exhaust leak. Just giving you a heads up, let me know what happens on your car. Cant wait to put the plenum on!
Old 07-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Nano

Andy, but doesn't the REV-up engine already have more aggressive cams than the 287 engine? I understand it does... Wouldn't you think the 287 engine would benefit more from cams than the rev-up engine?

Problem is that most of the stuff currently available is engineered for the 287hp engine. Probably next year, more rev-up engine specific components might be available and major gains will be made.

I also believe the 2003 ecu is still the most MOD friendly. I've seen 2004 up plagued by all sorts of SES crap, where the 2003 never throws anything(or atleast, not as easily).

Last edited by Nano; 07-30-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:43 PM
thawk408

Yo Thawk, are you running a SES light? I am. There is a TSB for it, my SES light had come on and it was spitting out a code that there was an exhaust leak but Nissan released a TSB saying that the O2 sensors were bad so we replaced both of them and clear the long term memory on the ECM. We did that but after a few miles the SES light still kicks on and spits the same code. The techs were saying its probably because of my headers, cats, and exhaust and the O2 sensor is reading so much air that it thinks there is an exhaust leak. Just giving you a heads up, let me know what happens on your car. Cant wait to put the plenum on!
Nope, I dont have a SES light and I have not thrown one at all. I shouldn't throw one with the mods I have, unless the 02s are faulty
Old 07-30-2005, 04:47 PM
thawk408

Andy, but doesn't the REV-up engine already have more aggressive cams than the 287 engine? I understand it does... Wouldn't you think the 287 engine would benefit more from cams than the rev-up engine?

Problem is that most of the stuff currently available is engineered for the 287hp engine. Probably next year, more rev-up engine specific components might be available and major gains will be made.

I also believe the 2003 ecu is still the most MOD friendly. I've seen 2004 up plagued by all sorts of SES crap, where the 2003 never throws anything(or atleast, not as easily).
You say the 287hp motor has reached 285-295 easy?? The most I have seen is Doug's dyno and that was at 285rwhp.

I think where the Rev-up motor will really make an advantage is when someone takes the time to mess with and advance the exhaust and intake cam timing. This should help open up some good power thanks to the ability to ajust the timing on all cams.

I have also thought about doing cams to my engine when someone comes out with a set and I have played with the idea of doing a rebuild to 12.0:1 or 12.5:1 compression (but that is down the road a bit). I really wish someone could find out the specs on the 300hp cams vs the 287hp cams.

Last edited by thawk408; 07-30-2005 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: any one test drive back to back 276 hp vs 300hp