Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

OMFG Burned my clutch SOOOO bad...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OMFG Burned my clutch SOOOO bad...help!!!

Let me just start off by saying I was a stupid a**...
For some reason I've decided to try doing burnout/peelout on my Z today...
I've never tried it before, and I don't really know how to do it properly...
My co-worker who was wit me told me that all you do is gas it to the floor
and dump the clutch...(Well obviously wrong direction! Stupid me for listening...)
Well I screwed up big time...I was revving it at 6500rpm and kept it there for
like 3 seconds before dumping the clutch..
Not only my car didn't even peel out, it was going so slow and when my clutch was released it was so damn loose and wobbly...

The clutch burning smell was so bad and unbearable, and it lasted for at least 10 minutes..
When I tried driving again, the clutch was so LOOSE, nowhere stiff as it used to be...
Let me just add that this is 6 week old car with only 1600miles on the odo, so the clutch was fairly stiff up till this incident.
It still pops back pretty stiff as before, however when I press in the clutch if feels like marshmellow.
The engagement point isn't where it used to be (now it's more higher up with much NARROWER sweetspot)
And I don't feel as much resistance when I downshift...
Not to mention clutch burning smell after I'm done driving...

Looks like I fu*ked up big...
I plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow, but I'm not sure if they'll replace the clutch for free..
I'm not sure how much the damage is...I hope it's just the clutch...
I bought my car at Performance Nissan and I hope they can do something...
I'm actually thinking about just getting the racing clutch since this happened.

Man I feel so mizerable right now...any comments on what I should do will be appreciated...

Btw what does 'slipping the clutch' and 'riding the clutch' mean?

Last edited by gsazabi; 07-26-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:26 AM
The Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3k to 3500 max to burn out... u don't need more than that to loose traction on our car. But i'm surprised you caused any permanent damage with just 1 time over revving your burnout.... its all made pretty sturdy and meant to last many thousands of miles before replacement. Fill us in if the dealership finds anything actually wrong.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Timmy_boy188

id be suprised if they replace it for free, wouldnt count on that, riding the clutch is when you dont fully let the clutch out and the car is moving, (not fully ingaged) that really sucks, dont tell the dealership what you did, they will laugh at you and tell you to pay up, tell them it just started doing that and if the off chance they dont put two and two together you might get hooked up, well good luck with it and in the future know what your doing before you do it

Tim
Old 07-26-2005, 01:17 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL I did something like that once. tho in my case it didn't do any permanent damage, it just took probably 30,000 miles off the life of the clutch.

I was in my 4 banger truck, got bored, pulled off to the side of the highway, stopped, put my truck in second, YES second gear and tried to do a burn out. Reved the crap outta it and dumped the clutch.

I thought it was odd that the tires were (so I thought) spinning but I didn't hear the tires squelling, smell or see any tire smoke or feel the rear tires moving around under the truck.

Anyway after about 5-6 seconds of spinning (so I thought) my tires, I pulled onto the freeway, still thinking I was spinning the rear tires as I was pulling onto the freeway. By the way there were no other cars around. About 10 seconds later I got this God awful smell like burning brake pads, then realized oh $hit CLUTCH slipping. Guess second gear burn outs dont work. The road was wet so I thought I could pull it off but no go.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:00 AM
zmegoby

Good Luck on getting your car repaired. You probably did not help your case by mentioning the dealership in this post. I believe that there are several guys from performance that surf this forum.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 AM
SimonD

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by zmegoby
Good Luck on getting your car repaired. You probably did not help your case by mentioning the dealership in this post. I believe that there are several guys from performance that surf this forum.
I was thinking exactly the same.

TBH I think that the original poster was kinda dumb to do that to a brand new car
Old 07-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope Jason at Performance Nissan dosen't read this. Oh well...bring your credit card or check book.

BTW slipping clutch is when you have the clutch out and rev your engine and there is a "sliping" in the power output. You gas it but you can feel the rpm's rise but the tranny slips.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Even those this is a normal wear item, at 6 weeks and 1,600 miles the dealer won't say a thing when replacing this under warranty. They will consider it a Manufactures Defect on that specific part.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:00 AM
King Tut

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He probably seriously over heated the clutch and it should be very noticeable when they look at the pressure plate and disk that it was not a manufacturers defect. I would bring your check book or bring them a new clutch to install.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:07 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I already spoke with my local service manager (my brother) and he assured me that it is something that WOULD be covered. If performance wont do it, he will.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Kid, Youve got a 50/50 shot of having to pay for it yourself..

Actually.. I would feel kind of bad if they fixed it for free if it was me. Own up to your mistake, that $500+ you are costing them to replace the clutch costs us all man.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:16 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
I already spoke with my local service manager (my brother) and he assured me that it is something that WOULD be covered. If performance wont do it, he will.
I love that. The guy admits to causing the problem, and you want him to get it replaced for free while guys that have real problems they didn't cause, can't get service.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

It is 1,600 miles. ANYTHING that happens that soon would be fixed by a service dept.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:02 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sq40
Yeah Kid, Youve got a 50/50 shot of having to pay for it yourself..

Actually.. I would feel kind of bad if they fixed it for free if it was me. Own up to your mistake, that $500+ you are costing them to replace the clutch costs us all man.
+1. Just realize that Nissan will tally this, and other fraudulant claims like it, into their projected warranty claims expense which directly effects prices we pay for parts, service, and vehicles.

Own up to it if you did the damage—consider it one of lifes less painfull lessons.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 AM
lightforce18

Cant the mechanics look at the computer inside the car and tell you did a burnout?
My friend said his nissan dealer told him he knew he did a burnout and if he did it again hed void his warrenty.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 AM
sanf

the car is still fresh. just blame it to the clutch itself. dont ever let the dealers tell you how to drive a car which you paid for. if at the end.. the dealer somehow finds out the clutch is fuked due to what you did. then just suck it up and pay for it because you did have fun (it just went wrong that's all).
Old 07-26-2005, 07:50 AM
Lerxst

You need to look at the bright side of this... it's a great opportunity to upgrade your clutch... and maybe some other goodies like a lightened flywheel.

If Nissan does cover your mistake , offer to pay the difference for the aftermarket components.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by lightforce18
Cant the mechanics look at the computer inside the car and tell you did a burnout?
My friend said his nissan dealer told him he knew he did a burnout and if he did it again hed void his warrenty.
I really doubt that the computer keeps that detailed of notes, .
Old 07-26-2005, 08:02 AM
gsazabi

Yeah I must admit what I did was stupid indeed...
But I didn't want to say that it's 100% clutch's fault, well it's actually my fault anyway.
I didn't want future buyers to read this post and think that the Z has clutch problem, etc etc..

I have learned my lesson and will never do 6500rpm clutch dump again.
Well I'll probably go for a aftermarket clutch at Performanc Nissan.

Any good clutch that you guys recommend?

Well time to give them a call.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:18 AM
MRfire

Screw Nissan...I hope you get a new clutch out of them. F*cking a$$holes

Quick Reply: OMFG Burned my clutch SOOOO bad...help!!!