Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2004, tire roaring / feathering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Qbrozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will the dealer provide and install this camber kit?
or is this strictly aftermarket?

yeah, yeah, i could search, I'm sure... but since we're all here talking about the same feathering issue .... AGAIN! I'll just ask. ;b
Old 07-29-2005, 08:14 AM
B-Unit

umm, not too sure, i know performance nissan out here would do it, other than that id probably feel more comfortable having an aftermarkey shop put it on.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 PM
GRIDE

Here's Some Further Info On The Issue... Nissan Says They Replaced The Control Arms For 04 And 05's. This Issue Is Still There But Not As Bad As The O3's. My O4 Would Not Qualify And I Worked For An Infiniti Dealer Who.s Sister Store (nissan) Was One Of The Top 5 Dealers Nation Wide And I Couldnt Even Get Tires For Free. The Bridgestones Are Lucky To Last 30kmiles. Mine Went 27k. I Bought The Yokos And They Suck! I Can Slip Tires Going Into 3rd Gear. My Yokos Have About 6k On Them And No Noise. My Bridgestones Had 2500 Miles When They Started Making Noise.
Has Anyone Tried The Michelins... How Are They?
If You Got Free Tires On An 04 Or Later You Are Very Lucky.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
FUCHAOWNAOFdaZ

I thought the 04.5s weren't supposed to have the feathering problem?
Old 07-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Dildorado

Hmmm my 05 started doing those low roars at high speeds today, sometihing i didn't notice before. Only at high speeds though, starts around 100mph. I already have about 5000 miles in 3 months.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 PM
jcpeyton

Ya know, after being an opponent of a "probation" period for newbs, and after reading countless repetitive questions on subjects that could EASILY be answered by doing a search, I'm beginning to change my view.
I was a newb not too long ago--maybe still be in some members' opinions. But, when I set out to modify my Z, I went to these boards, did searches, and tried to ask questions that had not been asked and answered a hundred times. No offense intended to the thread starter, but please, do the research FIRST- there is a wealth of experience on these forums--I respectfully suggest you do your homework before asking those of us who have to do your work for you.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Zexy

Thumbs down

SELL THE 350Z THEN.....If you're going to be a pansy just get rid of it and get a Denali.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:52 PM
jcpeyton

It's a sports car for chrissake!! Do you really think you're gonna get 40k miles out of ANY tire?? Is tire life the issue?
If tire life is your issue, then get a different car or go on these boards and find info about parts that MAY help.
I run Tanabe SustecProSOC-the whole kit--shocks,springs,pillow mounts--set 1" drop,Stillen sways,Prothane bushings, Enkei RPO3's on Kumho 245/275--9' front and 10' rear. My ZR handles like a dream come true. I expect MAYBE to get 25k from my tires, if I'm lucky. I'm seldom lucky.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:09 PM
SB Track

I don't think that tire life is the problem. I think that the roar from speeds 30 miles and below is the problem here. Some of us want to know how to correct it if it occurs. I've had my Z for almost 8 months, but still only have about 2600 miles. However, I do notice a slight droning noise at slower speeds. If this gets worse, I want to know how to fix it, or attempt to. This is not an issue about getting mileage out of sports tires. It's about trying to get rid of tire feathering which causes the tire roar.

I think that you can go to say an M3 forum and ask if they get loud roars from their Pilot Sports when they are slowing down. I don't think that this happens just because of the fact that it is a sports car.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Hyru

Originally Posted by Zexy
SELL THE 350Z THEN.....If you're going to be a pansy just get rid of it and get a Denali.
how 'bout no?

be a pansy?
Listen, I didnt go out and buy a 35K vehicle to have **** like this happen at 6000miles.
If by making a post regarding an issue is resulting in you telling me to sell the car, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:40 PM
GRIDE

Any Tire Will Roar If Feathered And Any Tire Will Feather If Left In The Same Position For Too Long. Since The Tires Are Left In The Same Position They Are Going To Feather. My Yoko's Are A Lot Quieter. But Dont Grip As Well. Here's A Solution To All Your Noises (not Just Tire Roar) Turn The Freakin Radio Up!!! All Your Noises Will Disappear.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Hyru

Okay guys... im going in for my 7,500 tuneup.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can possibly say/do to have them change my tires?
Im definitely gona try a new dealership... just looking for some help as to what to do / say to have them change this.
The car doesnt even seem safe at this point... the vibrating at high speeds and breaking has my poor mother wondering wtf kinda vehicle I purchased
Old 08-04-2005, 07:29 PM
arejohn

GRIDE. Please explain "Any Tire Will Feather If Left In The Same Position For Too Long."
Old 08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
arejohn

GUIDE. Which suspension parts were change and do you know how this affected the suspension geometry?

The top is the upper link.
Front lower is the Transverse Link
Front rear is the compression rod.

I believe it is the compression rod that was modified for the pull to the right problem.
I have been unable to find out if the rod changed the caster or camber or perhaps a bushing.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
arejohn

HYRU. If the will not correct the noise, have them write on the repair order why they will not fix the noise. This may help you if or when Nissan accepts responsibility.

By the way. do you have the new or old bridgestones?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Hyru

I have no idea if they're no or old bridgestones...
how can I tell?
I think these are the originals which came with the car (although I am the 2nd owner)
Old 08-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Hyru

Originally Posted by arejohn
HYRU. If the will not correct the noise, have them write on the repair order why they will not fix the noise. This may help you if or when Nissan accepts responsibility.
Im pretty sure Nissan doesnt plan on accepting responsibility
Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 AM
sm350z

I spoke to NNA Consumer Affairs earlier this week and they won't cover the tire replacement/alignment on my '04 (manuf. 07/03), but the guy I spoke to - Christopher - said that "negotiations" are going on within Nissan over what to do about this problem. I posted this in another thread:

Like many of you, I've got an '04 350zr Touring, and Nissan will not acknowledge that the feathering of the front tires is a problem, even though I just spent $650 on two new front tires and an alignment. In spite of the class action that's pending, I guess I'm not all that surprised that they refused to cover it. The guy I spoke to in consumer affairs, Christopher, told me that "negotiations" are going on within Nissan to address the problem on the '04 models. However, that doesn't help any of us cover our costs for the time being, nor the difficulties we'll have in trying to resell these cars.

I was surprised and disappointed that the "CBS Investigates" feature that ran a few months ago didn't get more traction (click here to see it - http://wcbs.dayport.com/viewer/view...&Category_ID=48) So I started thinking about some creative ways to get Nissan's attention, and had this idea:

If Z owners started standing outside in front of Nissan dealers all over the country holding picket signs that said "Don't buy a Z" or "Nissan left me holding Z bill" or something like that, I suspect that within a few hours or days the dealers would start complaining to NNA en masse that their sales are being affected. It might also help keep the story alive in the media.

Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:55 AM
evoandy

Originally Posted by GRIDE
Any Tire Will Roar If Feathered And Any Tire Will Feather If Left In The Same Position For Too Long. Since The Tires Are Left In The Same Position They Are Going To Feather. My Yoko's Are A Lot Quieter. But Dont Grip As Well. Here's A Solution To All Your Noises (not Just Tire Roar) Turn The Freakin Radio Up!!! All Your Noises Will Disappear.
i've had the same front tires on my z32 for about 70k miles w/o rotating them, and they're fine. I've had the same rear tires on for about 15k, and they're perfectly fine as well. don't talk out of your ***. this is obviously a problem with the Z33 suspension. My roomate has had his corvette for over 100k miles, and recently had to replace the tires because they dry rotted, not because they wore out. if you aren't tearing the hell out of your car, tires should last a damn long time. especially the ones that come on the 350z, because they quite frankly aren't that sporty in the first place. Tires having significant wear after 6k miles is pretty much unacceptable unless they're R compounds, or really hardcore DOT cheater slicks. Other sports cars don't have this problem, and niether should the 350z.

Last edited by evoandy; 08-05-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 AM
arejohn

Evoandy. Those tires that go 70k and 100k have a 140 or 800+ rating?

You know some stuff. If we need to know anything about tires can we contact you. These other guys on this sight that have Zs and have been following the excessive feathering issue for two years don't seem to have the knowledge and experience you do.

Quick Reply: 2004, tire roaring / feathering?