2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Near Death Experience in the Z, everyone please be careful

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 05:55 PM
1991TT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
VDC is useless in a hydroplane...
I wouldn't go so far as to say useless. I've hydroplaned before in heavy rain with my Potenza S-03s and the only thing that kept me off of the concrete embankment was VDC. I'd say that VDC is like a safety net...with a few holes in it.

On dry pavement, VDC is a different story. I can barrel recklessly into a turn going 10mph faster than I should and my VDC steps in just enough to keep me pointed in the right direction. To me, it's not obtrusive or obnoxious. Some guys feel otherwise. Kinda like HICAS with the Z32. Some guys love it, and some hate it. I liked it. But I also like to keep my car going straight. Some of you guys like sliding sideways through turns. Not me.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:23 PM
CindysZ

Main thing is that you're okay.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Timmy_boy188

werd werd
Old 08-01-2005, 12:34 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1991TT
I wouldn't go so far as to say useless. I've hydroplaned before in heavy rain with my Potenza S-03s and the only thing that kept me off of the concrete embankment was VDC. I'd say that VDC is like a safety net...with a few holes in it.
Don't get me wrong, I love VDC. However, it was useless.

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
I had VDC on and it didnt do a damn thing
Originally Posted by hfm
VDC is useless in a hydroplane
I've had VDC work when I took a left hand turn too quickly in the wet. At lower speeds, it has a chance to work. At 60-65 MPH in the wet, when you're going straight and the rear slides out from underneath you, it was absolutely unable to do anything at all. Trust me, when I say it was useless, it was useless. I will never mistake VDC as a safety net for driving too fast in the rain. If you're going over 60 MPH in the wet, do not expect VDC to prevent a crash - I've personally experienced it and I know, it can not correct anything to prevent a hydroplane. Once you've 100% lost traction, no amount of engine braking or physical braking of any wheel will stop you. There simply is no traction.

Last edited by hfm; 08-01-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:57 PM
carlos067

I took my family nearly 8 hours to drive 230ish miles yesterday they saw 4 accidents with more than 4 cars involved and many smaller ones.

Yeah here in fla its supposed to rain the rest of the week so to all be careful!!
Old 08-01-2005, 01:00 PM
shaft73

I've been there too. About to get on the highway in january (black ice) and I started to fishtail. one moment I'm facing the guard rail, the next a really nice A4. luckily i corrected it and no damage happened.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM
BENSIN

Honestly something like that can happen anywhere in any car, I had this happen to me in my 4 banger, FWD accord, I was going slow as all hell. Heavy snow, one back road was partially plowed, it was really slushy. I was probably going top speed 15 and then let off the gas coming closer to the 2 way stop intersection and a main road. I'm going slow as all hell I could walk faster than the car was going, I hit the brakes and slid right into the middle. Thankfully there wasn't anyone there or I'd be history.

Same thing happened again during NJ's last winter, I almost got crushed...I'm going like 20 and this garbage truck is about to jump out onto the road, so I apply the brakes slide right into the curb just before the jerk realizes he doesn't have right of way or clearance. I start up again slowly and then a tractor trailer starts pulling out not even a block up, brakes again even though he didn't have right of way. Brakes again and I slide straight in a diagonal way, he doesn't stop coming out so I'm going to be crushed between his truck and the curb. I end up sliding through the remaining opening between the truck and curb and then regain control...I wasn't really scared because I just wanted to go eat...I was, however, pissed off.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:29 PM
geez zee

Originally Posted by hfm
I've seen a number of threads about the Z hydroplaning and it's clear to me that it has a greater tendency to hydroplane than other cars.
I really don't think so... I had a Porsche 911 ('77) that had to be the all-time hydroplane champ!

It's hard to argue with physics... our [relatively] light cars with [relatively] wide tires are going to have a tendancy to hydroplane... heck, leave 'em home in the rain; drive the beater!

Be safe, everybody

Rob (high and dry in Texas... nooooooooooooo rain)
Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Pamplona

That is a traumatic experience. I'm glad you're okay. I just purchased the 350z roadster touring 6spd with 18" wheels. Does anyone else own this car and if so, would 50 to 60 in rain in 6th gear be okay?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Yup... been there. Glad to hear that you are ok and the car is ok.
I almost died from my experience... I totalled my 97 Mustang GT convertible 3 years ago. I started to spin and tore up the trunk/gas tank area by hitting a thick metal post (I-beam) that holds up the exit signs in interstates... Gas started to leak... if there was a spark, I would have been dead....

Rear wheel drive cars with wide performance tires can very easily hydro. So be careful and don't learn the lesson the way I did.

Last edited by leeboyNY; 08-01-2005 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamplona
That is a traumatic experience. I'm glad you're okay. I just purchased the 350z roadster touring 6spd with 18" wheels. Does anyone else own this car and if so, would 50 to 60 in rain in 6th gear be okay?

he he....there are lots of folks here with the same car. It's a Z forum!!!
Regardless of what model you have, you have to just feel the car. If the road is just wet, 50-60 is probably fine, but if the water is starting to pool on the road, you chances of pushing up on a plane increase drastically. Gearing has nothing to do with it, it's all about speed.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:09 PM
gunmetal

I had some nitto nt-555 and because of the sorry performance in the rain (on I-75 as well) I decided to get me some tires that would drive better in the rain.

I do suffer on the dry pavement as now my car seems to drift in the rear end and not stick like it used to.

but @ least my car hasn't slid since.

Glad you are alright!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 PM
lascala26

My Toyo TS-1s seem to grip much better than the stock in rain. I drive slowly in the rain though and don't give a rats A$$ who is on my tail. I would rather go slow than lose it. I did that in my previous car.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah it could be the car or the tires or VDC/TSC but when it comes down to it, everything depends on how much you know your car's current condition. so my point is that although you might have learned from this experience that you shouldn't go fast in rain, but make sure you understand that your car/weather is always changing. ie tire/brake/clutch wear. so you have to learn how to get a good feel of your car under any situation and drive accordingly.

a good story:

a couple of months ago, when So. Cal all of sudden got hit with huge rain storms. I was on a 30 mile drive going south on the 57th freeway. The rain was pouring tremendously and I knew I had to keep my traction well or else I'll be bouncing off the railings. So I proceed at around 45-50mph (this was already pushing it). I would have been going slower if the dam traffic wasn't on my tail. *stupid SoCal drivers and their ignorance to hydroplaning. So I'm just here cruising safely while I see this set of HIDs just flashing in my rear view. I was like WTF who's this clown trying to pass me in this weather. I continue my safe driving, and all of sudden the fool behind me floors it, and passes me with great acceleration. (not to bash on the car but it was a brand new RX-8) I wasn't upset at the guy but I was more concerned with him hitting me car. So I switch lane to hopefully avoid his carelessness. Well the guy continues to drive off at great pace. But soon enough I see this clown on the side of the road with his hazards on. I didn't see what happened, but his car look okay, so I just laughed and drove home safely.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM
cloudy

Man that sucks... sorry to hear it.. Ya i hate driving in the rain with my Z now.. Especially after i just hydrolocked it.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

This is what I've noticed. *Most* of the roads in florida are pretty worn out. They aren't smooth so the water doesn't roll off of them into the medians. They are very rough and they hold the water. Even if you can't see the water on the road it IS there. Worst part of the year is during the winter when it doesn't rain very often, so when it does rain there is a lot of oil on the road. I just try not to drive in the rain as much as possible.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:26 PM
ken350z

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
This is what I've noticed. *Most* of the roads in florida are pretty worn out. They aren't smooth so the water doesn't roll off of them into the medians. They are very rough and they hold the water. Even if you can't see the water on the road it IS there. Worst part of the year is during the winter when it doesn't rain very often, so when it does rain there is a lot of oil on the road. I just try not to drive in the rain as much as possible.
My parents are in Sebring and the roads there are perfect. Maybe in-land is better.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 PM
dieselpilot1969

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah the rain is dangerous - for any car really. You never know how your car is gonna react.

here in AZ, people drive stupid in the rain all the time becasue it hardly rains here. I think they equate the wet road to when they were kids sliding on the slip and slide and think weeeeee let's have some fun and try driving crazy.
I hear ya, I did that almost same thing in my 8000 lbs dodge 4x4 diesel. I laughed through the whole experience while my wife almost **** her pants
Old 08-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Greenvette95

Thank God you were not hurt.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:19 PM
tlewis

Glad to hear you made it out OK....

I had a similar thing happen to me last weekend. This is the first time anything like it has happened to me in my Z (or any other car for a really long time). I was cruising at about 65, since it was still lightly raining, but the roads were still really wet. I was going through a slight right-hand curve, when my front passenger tire hit a pothole... This caused my back end to get loose and swing out 90 degrees. I over corrected and was facing 90 to the left. As I tried to get it under control and stopped, it did a 180 as I went off the side of the interstate... I slid down the embankment about 20 feet, and stoppped less than 2 feet from a telephone pole.

After I got my senses back and loosened my white knuckled grip on the wheel, I drove right back up the embankment and back on the road. I pulled over to checked it out. Luckily, the only damage was a small dent in the front bumper next to the lower diffuser, which popped out, and lots of mud and grass all over the car. I slid sideways soo much that one tire lost the bead on the rim, and it went flat. The tire shop had to remount it, but everything was ok.

Since that, I have been extremely careful in the rain...driving like a grandma on Sunday!

Quick Reply: Near Death Experience in the Z, everyone please be careful