Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 AM
lane myers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy
haha. So iCreate posted to ***** and what not and to contradict?

Leave the forums and go buy another car then. Really.

12k miles 8 months not 1 problem.
no doubt. icreate, if you're worried, get another car, i'm sure there are a lot of cars out on the market that match the z's performance, looks, heritage,class, and price, that wont have any problems that the z encounters.

good luck!

(05 cs 5500 miles - no worries yet.)
Old 08-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Chicken

I think it is completely justified (and rather smart) to question things before one buys a car. Who better to ask than current owners? Not sure why some people are coming down hard on you, but I understand your reservations. As was said, for the most part you will read about the problems, and if people were to post, "It's been another day and all was well!" -you'd wonder if the car had any problems at all.

I have a used 2003 and it has been in for feathering (though that was dealer initiated, and without hassle they replaced the front tires). To be honest, it wasn't loud enough for me to even worry about (but who is going to argue with new tires and alignment under warranty?) and I've since replaced the tires with aftermarket ones. I've had the grease streaks (fixed by dealer under warranty), and my CD player wouldn't eject the disc (also fixed under warranty), but I can't think of anything else.

I also bought the car knowing about the issues and haven't regretted it. Buy a 2004/5 if you think it will be better (I personally have my doubts about some things being "fixed" but), however I honestly think that while there are lemons (with any car), overall the car is solid and fun to drive. I tend to trade cars pretty often, and haven't found one I'd trade trhis car in for. The newer Pontiac/Saturn is the closest thing yet, however I've never been a huge fan of anything GM (certainly not Pontiac -old school Firebirds excluded, or anythign made by Saturn).
Attached Thumbnails Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...-firebird_liukko.jpg  
Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had 3 MAJOR problems with my Z...

1. Always looking for a chance to "drop the top.
2. People always telling me "Hey, Nice car"
3. Countless women throwing their bra's at my car as I drive. I feel like a rock star!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'05 35th Anniversary and only one problem - the fuel consumption sensor is flakey causing the multi-guage to display wrong figures (or I am getting 13.4 MPG!).

It's been such a big problem that I haven't bothered to take it in.

The car is a hoot - sticks to the road like glue even with the mid-range stock tires. The thing cruises easy at 100 mph without a bit of nervousness or drifting. I'll probably change the gearing to give me more accelleration and less top speed when I get around to it ... I mean I hope I never hit 155 mph.

Payments are kind of stiff but I wanted the thing paid off in a year and it was $6000 cheaper than the Audi TT and $20,000 cheaper than the Boxster.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Lerxst

'03 with a build date of 12/02. Only problem is window streaks after 13K miles.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 AM
VeeTec

I had the feathering, which was fixed under warranty, and nothing serious since then.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:50 AM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly real sports cars have problems. They arent killers though and the Z comes with a loooooooong powertrain warranty so your covered. If you want a car with no problems buy a camry but once you go into the sports car realm the cars just have them. Best way to deal is educate yourself on how to DIY. 2005 5k no problems.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:13 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive got an '03 Touring 6 speed and i absolutley LOVE this car and have had ZERO problems.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:01 PM
NismoNitsuj

I just bought a used 03 touring with 3900 miles on it. I got the windows issues taken care of, the Bose amp taken care of, and I have a new tweeter on the way. I knew it had issues, but it's a friggin Z man.

It's worth the looks and the comments.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:47 PM
lunartick13

2004 here with over 10k miles and not a one problem other than now and then the fuel door won`t open on the 1st push of the button. outside of that Zero problems. this car is everything a sports car should be (imo), had this car almost two years now and I love it even more than the 1st day...had Vetts, mustangs,firebirds...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by iCreate
Greetings all. Was seriously contemplating a Z, as I absolutely love the car............
Am I just seeing the dirty laundry, or are these cars REALLY that problematic. ......Thoughts?
iCreate...it is like you are sitting at someone elses dinner table....you might hear anything....

2004 here....no problems that have not been addressed (tire feathering seen...taken care of).This car is everything I ever wanted in a sports car...I envy no one..my thoughts?

"Can't touch this"........
Old 08-06-2005, 07:16 PM
BrunoMDeus

Bought my car in December of 2002 (2003 Performance 6MT model)... After over 43k miles, i'm as happy with it as the first day i drove off the dealer with a big smile on my face...
I have had no problems and other than a Carrera, there is no other car i would trade this one in for!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by Jason@Performance
Hey your in LA! Come by and Ill take you for a ride

Every car has issues... I have over 60,000 on my Z... Ive only had 2 serious problems,

1. Being an idiot at the drag strip and breaking my rear end...
2. Having an open hood...

I wouldnt trade my Z for anything else... (except something with no payments)
what problems have you had with your open hood?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM
obsidian02

I have a 2003 track and it has never got any problem other than feathering plus the passenger window suddenly refused to rolled up. First feathering happened at 11k, second at 23k (both time were under warranties, also the window roll up problem had taken care at the same time under warranty). The car has 37k now, and it doesn't look like feathering is going to happen. Probably those nissan guy had done the proper alignment the 2nd time I visited. (car is actually lowered with Eibach since I drove it). Both rear tires were just replaced (not under warranty) when it was 36k. I love the Z.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:33 PM
KingOfV6

2005 6M with 2600 miles....the car is a blessing, my only prob is passenger windows squels when is rolled down or up.......service guy said it take about 2 hours to fix. otherwise no problems with grinding or tire feathering... there are not many cars out there in the same class that are more relibale to the Z.. so u might as well get one damnit.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:36 PM
DrVolkl

Just came back from an AutoX practice day....all I can say is that I'm glad I have this car. What a blast....and the other Z drivers you meet out there are top notch. It really has a great following.

08/02 build #2363 off the line.....

No major problems...
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 PM
andrew

iCreate, we all have our priorities in selecting a car, and you must be true to yours. As you know, no one can tell you whether you will have an issue with a car, and you are doing the wisest thing by investigating. It can be a difficult decision. Even amongst enthusiasts our opinions and experiences may vary heavily, but we reach a consensus in that we all (or almost all) love our Z's.

I have had my 6MT touring since 1/03, with a build date of 11/02. I have unfortunately encountered the window grease streaks, rear axle clicking and tire feathering issues...and just this week saw that I am even getting the paint cracking at the corner of my rear signal light that were reported by some others. However, all of the problems (except the rear bumper) were covered by warranty with no re-occurrence to note.

Initially, these things dissappointed me because out of the dozen or more new cars I have owned (showing my age) I have never had such problems with any of them combined! But there is one thing that this car possesses that the others could not come close to, a spirit. I simply love this car. We just added a new car to our stable by my wife's choice: a BMW Z4 roadster. Although an undeniably excellent car in its own right, it does not beckon me like the 350Z.

I am glad there are countless Z owners who have never experienced a problem, and that the problems, in general, seemed to have been addressed. Please bear that in mind. I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make, and (on a biased note) take up Jason's offer !
Old 08-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Juno

I have an '05 with 4900 miles, and haven't had a problem yet. My husband has an '03 that he bought used with 29,000 miles, and his only problem is that sometimes his windows streak. Both of our Zs are daily drivers. If you get one, you'll love it. If you're that concerned about reliability and minor problems, get an RSX.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:44 AM
King Tut

Originally Posted by Z BOY
what problems have you had with your open hood?
I'm thinking he might have not latched it properly and took it for a spin and then it flew up and busted his windshield. That is what I pictured when he said that as it is common with carbon fiber hoods.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:39 AM
Fletch69z

If you came to this forum and didn't know anything about the car you would think that these cars were junk but keep in mind that the people who have problems are the ones the post the most on here. All of us Z owners who never have problems seldom come on and post "I drove it again today and nothing bad happened, " And ignore the people who say "Go buy another car then." I love the Z and bought it because it has been my dream car for a long time. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe a skyline, ). But there are other cars that have less things wrong with them. If you want a reliable sports car that's maybe not as fast or as visceral there is the S2000. But everything else I think either isn't in the same price range or isn't anywhere near as fun a car as the Z.

Quick Reply: Was Going to Buy a Z, But after Reading...