Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Okay I'm SCARED to death..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002 | 07:16 AM
qirex

dude you'll make no money in med school and prolly cant work the last two years - and 4-6 years of residency you'll make crap money $40K....and prolly cant moonlight.

do you really want to stress for 8 years JUST to have a Z??

grow up.

live within your means.

the only way I can even afford my z now (as a resident ....w/ 6 mos left YES!!) is my wife and her great job.

all things in good time
Old 12-12-2002 | 07:51 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by donoharm
Slay2K,

Live in the present and buy the car!

Delayed gratification is a myth. Do you think it would be the same driving the Z when you grauduate from college than driving it now?

Remember, you only live once. It's up to you to live large or tiny. Just follow your heart! Work hard and study hard and reward yourself with a Z. 10 yrs from now, when $3K doesn't mean a thing to you, you'll be glad you take my advice today.
Slay2k,

donoharm is right about one thing: "Work hard and study hard", but that's about it (in my opinion). The rest of his "live for today and don't worry about your future - maybe you'll be OK, but what the heck, you've had fun along the way" philosophy appears to me to be extremely immature and irresponsible.

If you really want to understand "delayed gratification", think about maxed out credit cards, a lot of other stuff you shouldn't have bought on credit, and an expensive car that you could have done without............ If you can't afford this path but take it anyway, then your gratification will definitely be delayed. Seems to me like harmful advice from donoharm. Ironic, isn't it?

Just my opinion.
WayneTN
Old 12-12-2002 | 08:05 AM
Chris S

*NOTE TO SELF* - don't go to my350Z for financial advice!

All I have to add is, why did you sign a 4 yr. lease if you weren't sure you could live w/ the car that long? Leases usually screw consumers, even moreso if you terminate early.
Old 12-12-2002 | 09:20 AM
slay2k

Default WTF?

Let's see...

Qirex - if you were referring to me about med school, then what made you assume I was going to med school ? I won't be. Also, question for you - is the area where Newark college is located RELATIVELY safe altogether ? If so, then that's no different than going to a New Brunswick parking lot.

To the others - I can afford the car. Not by myself but, a family member is willing to lend me a good amount of cash until I graduate and find a decent job.

Also, college tuition is taken care of - that's not an issue. And debts.. I have none. I pay all my bills on time, and my credit rating is high. I don't max out my credit cards or act irresponsibly in any way.

With regard to my future - I'd say I feel relatively secure. I'm a talented CS major who has spent several years as the VP of a start-up. That's how I can partially afford the Z to begin with.

Furthermore, insurance will cost me the SAME, since it's business insurance. That's another huge advantage...

So bottom line is - I think I'm just gonna go for it... considering the fact that I'm only going to spend 2 semesters or so at Newark... it's not a huge risk to take.

Oh and Chris S - it was a 3 year lease (39 mo's actually), not 4 =)

-slay
Old 12-12-2002 | 10:08 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

If getting the Zzzzz gives you a "rush" that you can translate into better grades, get the Zzzzzzzzzz. If the Zzzzzzz would cause you to "fret" over $$$$ and car condition and detract from your studies, don't get the Zzzzzzzzz.

Keep your eye on the ball.......studies/grades. Cars are a secondary consideration at your point in life.
Old 12-12-2002 | 10:59 AM
iboost

Default Here's what you do:

1st step: Move to South Florida.
2nd step: Purchase Z.
3rd step: Enjoy your Z year round.
4th step: Enjoy lovely S. Florida women.

There ya go... all your lifes problems solved in 4 easy steps and at no charge. Let me know if I can assist your further.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sunshine
Old 12-12-2002 | 04:12 PM
donoharm

Dr. Quirex,

I would have to repectfully disagree with you.

I'm a surgical resident and, like you, I'm making crap money.

My Z will be delievered within the next 2 weeks. You must be like "What?! Is this guy NUTS??"

It all boils down to whether you're a hammerhead and how hard you're willing to work towards your goals. Aim high and you'll achieve high. Aim low, you'll stay where you are if not worse.

By the way, my current car is a E36 328 with sports package, which I purchased back in med school years, a time when I was even more financially miserable.

Congrats on landing a spot for your practice.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:04 PM
qirex

cool!

enjoy your Z! what kind are you getting?

I was simply trying to guide the youths.

I guess as a surgical resident you spend so much time working that it truly justifies your Z.

I dunno if you're married, but like i said, i've been married for 6 years. Everythiong is great, but while two incomes ensure a certain standard of living, it also means that your paycheck cant be split rent/car/insurance.

Either way, everyone has a different situation.

Your views about goals and the like are truly comical. "Aim high and you'll achieve high. Aim low, you'll stay where you are if not worse."

I agree with you regarding setting ones goals high, but I truly hope that its me misconstruing your comment as condoning financial responsibility.

I hoep that your credit cards arent maxxed out as you're expecting the payout of a "succesful" surgical practice. Nothing in life is gauranteed. If you live within your means you'll be much happier (IMO).

Either way slay2k, its up to you.

BTW, I thought that your lease is a *contract* and as such you'll be respnsible for your payments until the term unless you find a NEW lesee or roll the principal into the nbext lease (thats an expensive Z).
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:10 PM
kaiser23

I stressed, and worried about leaving my Z places immediately when I got it, and a week after I got it, I parked it at costco, and some *** hit it with a shopping cart, and put a nasty ding, and a swatch of scratches about teh size of my hand in it just behind the passenger door. I was heart broken. But after that happened, I am not NEARLY as paranoid about something happeneing to it. Just accept that fact that **** is gonna happen, and you'll be much better off.
Old 12-12-2002 | 06:38 PM
Chris S

Originally posted by donoharm
Aim high and you'll achieve high. Aim low, you'll stay where you are if not worse.
Why settle for a Z, then? Might as well buy a 911!
Old 12-14-2002 | 11:50 AM
spikez513

slay2k why does Qirex keep talking about you going to medschool? Are you going?? Well i'm going to dental school next year and I too am having issues with paying for the damn car....I say f@*&# it.. just get the car.. Enjoy it while we're still young..
Old 12-14-2002 | 11:17 PM
slay2k

Nah I'm not going to medical/dental school, I'm not sure why he assumed that...

Still looking for a good deal here in Jersey though on a Performance model (ideally).

-slay
Old 01-10-2003 | 12:08 PM
fatgutZ

Default z fears

Trust me, you dont want to have a nice car in college. I got an Acura RSX Type S my last year of college... It was not hell, but I did have some bad experiences. I lived in an apartment complex that was not bad, but my car got keyed... Plus parking your car on a busy campus is a b*tch. College should be a time to have a used car, since driving on campus is a hassle.
Old 01-10-2003 | 12:42 PM
iris

Originally posted by kaiser23
I stressed, and worried about leaving my Z places immediately when I got it, and a week after I got it, I parked it at costco, and some *** hit it with a shopping cart, and put a nasty ding, and a swatch of scratches about teh size of my hand in it just behind the passenger door. I was heart broken. But after that happened, I am not NEARLY as paranoid about something happeneing to it. Just accept that fact that **** is gonna happen, and you'll be much better off.
Costco?

heh heh - couldn't have fit much in the Z besides some frozen dinners

Not a slam - I'm a proud member of Costco too.

slay2k, you sound pretty practical. If you know all the financial/future consequences, you should go for it.

I went to college and law school, got married in the process. Bought a house and paid off all our student loans. What a totally practical and financially responsible lifestyle. But the thing is, the Z is different - I saw it and fell in lust/love. Bought it even though we already had 2 cars and didn't need it. When you're in LOVE, you do irrational things. That's what makes life FUN!
Old 01-10-2003 | 01:05 PM
ECKZLNT

Default Re: Re: Early Termination for sake of the Z ?

Originally posted by ethan84ae
Don't spend all your $ on a car- you're still going to need lots of dough if you don't want to live with mommy & daddy after graduation.
There's no shame in that. It's just one less expense you have to worry about.

Slay...I'd say get it. I would if I was in your situation. I'm waiting until i grad b/c I'm way too paranoid to park it (when i can find a spot) on the streets of Hoboken at school, and wouldn't have much time this semester to drive it anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-18-2003 | 10:30 PM
slay2k

Default Hi again

Just as a heads-up to everyone who replied...

I went with my instinct and got the car about 3 weeks ago! It's a Daytona Blue Performance model. Been driving it since late December here in the norther NJ region =D If you live here then maybe you've seen me. I've ran into one other Z owner today, from Elmwood Park, driving a Chrome Silver Touring =)

Wow, tons of fun. Sure the snow and the shitty weather are a problem, but I find it capable of good driving (after brief warm-up) even with stock tires on cold roads.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies fellas. I appreciate it. Hopefully in 3-5 years I'll have enough cash-income to not fret over every little detail.

-slay
Old 01-18-2003 | 10:34 PM
ECKZLNT

No...I havn't seen u in north NJ...
That's awesome that you got the car. Congrats.
I'll ask my friends from EP if they seen you or the one with the CS.
Hopefully i'll see you around
Old 01-19-2003 | 12:45 AM
Track

If you can afford a Z you can afford a beater car to suppliment it.

Don't sweat driving a nice car in college.
I drove a Lotus Esprit and never had any problems (vandalizm, theft, etc...).

Of course I live in TX, where someone will bust a cap in your *** for touching their car. So we really don't have a problem with that.
Old 01-19-2003 | 05:28 PM
WayneTN

Default No vandalism problem in TX?

Originally posted by Track
Don't sweat driving a nice car in college.
I drove a Lotus Esprit and never had any problems (vandalizm, theft, etc...).

Of course I live in TX, where someone will bust a cap in your *** for touching their car. So we really don't have a problem with that.
Oh, really? Check here!

WayneTN
Old 01-19-2003 | 05:39 PM
Track

Default Re: No vandalism problem in TX?

Originally posted by WayneTN
Oh, really? Check here!

WayneTN
And your point?

Quick Reply: Okay I'm SCARED to death..