Originally Posted by sentry65
ferrari enzo's weigh 2767 lbs

the C6 Z06 weighs 3130 lbs

regular C6 weighs 3179 lbs

base model Z weighs 3188 lbs, track weighs 3225 lbs
the 35th aniversary/grand touring is about 100 lbs heavier
roadster is about 200 lbs heavier
grand touring roadster is 3,536 lbs. Now that is pig heavy

You can get a Z to weigh less with aftermarket parts. I'm not so sure how much less you can make a Z06 since everything on it is already pretty lightweight. The engine in it weighs about 100 lbs more than the Z engine

I agree the Z is heavy in it's own right, but compared to other stuff out there it's not that bad. Even STI's and EVO's weigh more than the Z, but they have 4 seats...and their chasis is still not as stiff. Yeah they might handle better, but that's because of other reasons, not the chasis so much

My Z weighs around 3100 lbs with a half tank of gas
weighs around 3060 without spare tire/tools
Your right on the Z06 weight, I was thinking of the Blue Devil version. It's the one that will be less than 2900lbs with 600bhp, but for much more money. I think Sport Compact Car stripped a Z to bare metal a while back and it weighed about 2900 to 3000lbs. The STI is about 50lbs lighter than a Z coupe. I've had a lot of seat time in the 35th, and find the STI FAR more rigid.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:03 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I really don't know what the enzo weighs then, cause half of the places say it weighs 3254 lbs and the other half say 2767 lbs

weird, something is screwy
Old 08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Blue Komodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you imagine how much more expensive the Z would be with it's own chasis built on an aluminum space frame?

A cheaper and safer way to lose weight would be to use fiberglass body panels instead of aluminum. At least that'd save maybe 100 lbs
I think the S2K cost's less than the Roadster. It would'nt be too bad.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
I think the S2K cost's less than the Roadster. It would'nt be too bad.
But would like the same body style to sell for another 8-10 years?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:22 PM
arejohn

Default What defines a platform?

Yah know, I think Nissan missed the boat here with the chassis. The Z shares it's chassis with the Murano (a frickin SUV), FX35/45, G35 coupe/sedan. Sure it's cheaper for Nissan to do it this way, but it definately takes away from the car. If the Z/G had it's own dedicated chassis, it would be lighter and it would handle better. My STI handled way better than my Z, and the steering provided FAR more feedback (both on JIC's).

What "chassis" does your STI use. Is it unique? High performance? Race inspired? or is it a street chassis with tight shocks, high rate springs, hard bushing, stiff sway bars that bounce your girl to death. The stock suspension tune for the Z is tuned for daily sport driving in reasonable comfort.

The Jag S, Ford Mustang, Lincoln LS, Thunderbird all share same
"platform." I have driven all but the LS and I can tell you they don't drive anything alike. What you want most from a chassis is light weight and stiffness and I don't think you can't do much better in a street machine than the Z coupe. The quick steering is the result of reduced steering ratio- which I wish the Z had- and not the chassis.

If the STI and EVO are such great cars, why doesn’t anyone buy them?
What did they sell this year...3 maybe 4? Do you think Nissan could have sold 100K Zs without some real good utilization of parts. What Nissan saved on new mechanical parts paid for building one fine looking automobile.

Don't get me wrong, I think the EVO and the like are great drivers but they attract a very small purchasing audience and one that participant of I was not.

Just what does define a platform?

Does an automobile need to have a frame to have a chassis?

What was more important: Henry Ford building a car that people could afford or Henry Ford paying his employees enough to buy the cars they built?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:27 PM
sentry65
the burninator

The EVO and STI have really stiff suspensions. The shocks, springs, bushings, sway and strut bars etc are just really race inspired.

The chasis is more flexible than the Z's though. It has 4 seats and is generally a more boxy shape. The Z has 2 seats, and has a more oval shape which is better for strength - why bridges utilize circular shapes. They handle stress better.

I totally agree that if you drive an EVO or STI, it'll feel stiffer than the Z. But that doesn't mean the chasis is stiffer
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
But would like the same body style to sell for another 8-10 years?
That's a damn good point.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
mhip

the eth.- 3197 per nissan web site
Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Blue Komodo

We don't have Eth. here.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Blue Komodo

The EVO and STI have really stiff suspensions. The shocks, springs, bushings, sway and strut bars etc are just really race inspired.

The chasis is more flexible than the Z's though. It has 4 seats and is generally a more boxy shape. The Z has 2 seats, and has a more oval shape which is better for strength - why bridges utilize circular shapes. They handle stress better.

I totally agree that if you drive an EVO or STI, it'll feel stiffer than the Z. But that doesn't mean the chasis is stiffer
I wonder if there is a scientific way to check this out. What you say about the shape has merit, but I believe the Subaru has more re-enforcement points. Most likely because the WRC car is loosely based on it.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 PM
sentry65
the burninator

it really doesn't matter

everyone can talk about it, but it's not going to change how the cars drive

they are what they are

the STI will easily out handle the Z - it's designed for hardcore performance. The Z is made for good performance, but with a more softer ride. This can be fixed with some stronger/stiffer suspension parts

either way, the Z or STI can pull of 1 G anyway with suspension mods
Old 08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by arejohn
What "chassis" does your STI use. Is it unique? High performance? Race inspired? or is it a street chassis with tight shocks, high rate springs, hard bushing, stiff sway bars that bounce your girl to death. The stock suspension tune for the Z is tuned for daily sport driving in reasonable comfort.

The Jag S, Ford Mustang, Lincoln LS, Thunderbird all share same
"platform." I have driven all but the LS and I can tell you they don't drive anything alike. What you want most from a chassis is light weight and stiffness and I don't think you can't do much better in a street machine than the Z coupe. The quick steering is the result of reduced steering ratio- which I wish the Z had- and not the chassis.

If the STI and EVO are such great cars, why doesn’t anyone buy them?
What did they sell this year...3 maybe 4? Do you think Nissan could have sold 100K Zs without some real good utilization of parts. What Nissan saved on new mechanical parts paid for building one fine looking automobile.

Don't get me wrong, I think the EVO and the like are great drivers but they attract a very small purchasing audience and one that participant of I was not.

Just what does define a platform?

Does an automobile need to have a frame to have a chassis?

What was more important: Henry Ford building a car that people could afford or Henry Ford paying his employees enough to buy the cars they built?
Stock for stock the Z suspension is actually stiffer than the Subaru's. From a weight and stiffness perspective the Z is good, but should be better. It isn't better due to the platform sharing concept that Nissan Copied from VW to save money. I would be willing to pay a little more money for a Z with a lighter, stronger chassis. There is only one ratio point difference between the Z and STI steering. When I say handling, I mean feed back from the tires through steering coloumn to communicate the road surface and what the tires are doing in addition to the steering. In this regarde the Z is numb and vague. The Suby was much better at this. Yes it appeals to a smaller more performance focoused demographic, and is more narrowly focoused. But that's also why it performs better. The Z gets it's sales numbers based on how it looks more so than how it drives. It was always meant to be a cash cow, it was platform shared to maximize profit, not performance.
And I believe trucks are built on frames. Cars are built on chassis, mostly uni-bodies.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 PM
spacemn_spiff

why bridges utilize circular shapes.
I agree with the application of circular structure, but not the bridges part. If you meant circular shapes used in older stone bridges was used because stones could be loaded purely in compression (no tensile loading at all), this was before the time of concrete. This is much different than the reason for using circular structure in steel bridges now.

Circular shape is a better shape for load path/transfer than a dog leg because the bend part of the dog leg can flex as said before because of stress concentration. EVO and STIs have dog legs and higher roofline.

Sorry, had to rant.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well point being circular or arch shapes are stronger than square shapes
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Z Safety Review-circular.jpg   2006 Z Safety Review-circular3.jpg   2006 Z Safety Review-circular4.jpg   2006 Z Safety Review-circular5.jpg   2006 Z Safety Review-circular2.jpg  

Last edited by sentry65; 08-08-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Amnbex

You may be right about the Murano, it is FWD. However the Z is not lite by any means, it weighs 3400lbs due to the platform sharing, which makes it a heavy pig. If Nissan had given the Z it's own dedicated chassis it would'nt have been compromised (beefed up to support the extra weight of the FX), it could weigh 3 or 4 hundred pounds less and be a way better performer.
Do you know how much it would have cost Nissan (and us in turn) to develop a dedicated chassis for the Z? The MR Z chassis is pretty damn good and pretty damn flexible and can be purchased for less than $30k. All the other cars you're comparing it to cost more than $50k. At least compare within the pricerange.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:54 AM
spacemn_spiff

Sentry65, the bridge in the first picture has nothing to do being arch shape, the shape is curved because of cables sag by their own weight just like power cables sag between towers. While the other pictures just explain what I tried to explain (compression loading is the key).

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by Amnbex
Do you know how much it would have cost Nissan (and us in turn) to develop a dedicated chassis for the Z? The MR Z chassis is pretty damn good and pretty damn flexible and can be purchased for less than $30k. All the other cars you're comparing it to cost more than $50k. At least compare within the pricerange.
Since when does an S2000 or an STI cost $50k? Try reading all the post's. Nissan compromised the chassis to make maximum profit, period. They now have several press releases stating that the Z will get it's own dedicated chassis (only because of the GTR) in the next model rendition. They know that 2008 will be the year of the sports car, with the return of the Supra etc., and this crap platformed shared cash cow chassis ain't 'gonna cut it.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:41 AM
03redlineZ

I have Volk wheels and no spare tire and my Z weighed in at 3,060 pounds thats light for a Z!!! So maybe stock they are a little heavy but not compared to the mustang or old 300ZX there light. A supra weighs 400 pounds more than our car but yet that is a pretty well desired car!!

ANyway if your so concerned with weight than do something aboout it. My car is an enthusiest and like I said it weighs a hair over 3,000 pounds.........
Old 08-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
I have Volk wheels and no spare tire and my Z weighed in at 3,060 pounds thats light for a Z!!! So maybe stock they are a little heavy but not compared to the mustang or old 300ZX there light. A supra weighs 400 pounds more than our car but yet that is a pretty well desired car!!

ANyway if your so concerned with weight than do something aboout it. My car is an enthusiest and like I said it weighs a hair over 3,000 pounds.........
If what you say is accurate, yes that would be a light Z. Maybe you can post the print out from the scale for verification. I'm skeptical only because as I said, a Z stripped to bare metal is 2900 to 3000lbs (I'll find this article). I think Fosberg's car stripped (fender liners and everything else possible) with the SR20 weighs something like 2700 to 2800lbs. Again, our base model is the Performance which weighs 3401lbs. The Supra is desired because it has a straight 6 with an iron block that can handle uber power. Not because it's twinkle toed. No one wants a stripped car for the street, at least I don't. If I did'nt have to store the Z half of the year, I'd bite the bullet and shell out for the new Z06. Or import an Elise. As stated before, the Z's weight problem is a result of the platform shared chassis. Which would be hard to do something about. The Z is very good car with a great motor, and a decent suspension. That's why I bought it. It just needs a better chassis, which is coming.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 AM
03redlineZ

Next time i am at the track i will take a pic for you. Anyway the enthusiest Z says it weighs around 3200 pounds. I weighed the stock 17s and with tire they weigh 53 pounds the volk wheels with tires weighed 40 pounds. That is a 60 pound weight reduction. To put it at 3140ish pounds. THan no spare tire and tool and mats taken out that is around 60-70 pounds that brings it to 3,060 pounds give or take. You can believe me or not but the scale cant lie. I was shocked when i saw it myself.

Quick Reply: 2006 Z Safety Review