2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Instapundit 350Z Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 03:43 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instapundit 350Z Experience

I don't know if any of you guys read InstaPundit, but it is a blog site run by a University of TN law professor named Glenn Reynolds that is one of the most popular blogs on the web.

Anyway, I was just catching up after a couple of days, and came across this post about Nissan dealerships' sales practices, and it rang so true. The Infiniti part also mirrors my experience (drove a car on release week, no hassle at all).

I'm a bit frustrated by the whole test drive embargo myself, especially with many dealers now having cars around. It may be getting better, as I've only tried one place in the last few weeks, but you'd think these cars were Porsches or something. Glad somebody in the quasi media have mentioned this phenomena as well. I refuse to buy a car I haven't driven, and I am not going to fill out credit apps to test drive a car. I'm most likely paying almost all in cash anyway, with maybe a bit off an equity line.

I understand the joy ride problem, too, but you have to be rational if you expect a lot of us to plunk down $30-35K.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:19 PM
WayneTN

Being from Tennessee, I heard about this yesterday. I think, but I'm not sure, which Nissan dealership this was. I checked out quiet a few near the University of Tennessee when I started getting serious about the car last summer/fall. Some said that they would order at MSRP and some said they wouldn't even order one at any price, but, instead, would be marking them significantly over MSRP as their allotment came in. Looks like they hit on one of the dealers that doesn't care about the average Joe but tries to make a killing on each and every Z.

At the dealer in Oak Ridge that I ended up ordering from, they drove one right out of the showroom so I could take it for a test drive. All along the way they've made sure that I received all of the literature, even loaning me their only original copies of some things so that I could get color copies in case I couldn't get them later.

Some dealers are good; some are not so good. All have their different methods. I'm no businessman, but I would think that being friendly to the public would help, don't you think?

WayneTN
Old 12-11-2002, 04:54 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I may have to run by there when I go home for Christmas (I'm originally from Harriman) if I haven't found one down here to drive. I still refuse to pay addons or doc fees unless I can get some stuff thrown in, though. I figure if I'm paying doc fees, they have to give me shop manuals, tinted windows, or both

I'm working also working various friends and friends of friends to see if I have any connections to get in on the Nissan friends and family deals. That would be quite a bit of money saved.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:29 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by jevans73
I work in the corporate office of one of the nations larges auctions. 50 some odd through out the US. I qualify for a Nissan/Infiniti prefered purchase plan. I had 3 dealers tell me that Nissan was no honering this plan. I did get mine (rathe will get mine) for MSRP.
Sounds strange, because a woman I work with has a neighbor that works at the Nissan plant here in Symrna, and she was pretty sure he got one under that deal.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:02 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Thanks for the legwork. That MN dealer at $1000 over invoice is looking more interesting
Old 12-12-2002, 03:16 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by jevans73
Don't pay 1k above retail, go to my dealer. It's right @ MSRP. I'll give you the information if you want

Read my post again.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:41 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Nah, easy to do.

BTW, here is the thread.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:59 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I haven't checked yet. I'd have to ship it back down to Nashville, although somebody posted they could drop ship it.

I'm still waiting to drive a car before I do anything like I said above
Old 12-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Wotnot

Default Canadian dealers

are pulling some of the same stunts reported by you guys in the USA..........the first dealer I went to......quoted double freight..then tried the old "admin fee" . I wanted the Canadian Performance model, which is basically our version of your Touring model..with 18's....with the special Glacier Pearl paint.....three coats of Metallic Pearl....before the clear....($285 option..not available in the USA from what I can see)

No test drives......and they quoted anywhere from 3-5k over MSRP....well I walked from that dealer pretty quick....and found another dealer prepared to sell me what I wanted...threw in the paint option.....waived the "admin fee" and added a set of mats....for MSRP

The next day, just for fun, I called still another dealer who informed me that if I wanted to order a new Z, it would take 6 months and there would be a non-refundable $2000 order processing fee on top of whatever price I ended up paying for the car...needess to say......you need to shop.....and ask lots of questions.....some of these dealers are pirates.....

It was built Dec12......it will be in my hands sometime in mid January......
Old 12-13-2002, 04:43 PM
rai

I understand what you mean about not buying a car without a testdrive. Don't salesmen know how to reel in a customer? I drove a $55K Boxster S at one dealer. Later that same day I was refused a requested test drive of a Z06 even though I told them I would buy it that day if I liked it and the price was right.

I drove a S2000 (used) and fell in love. I'll never know if the Z06 test drive could have made me fall it love with it. I guess that's chevy's loss.