Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM
jakedajewel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sharaabi
By the end of this year, i plan to pay off some debts and buy a car.
I currently hav a maxima and simply love it. Ive always loved the Z but also love cars and performance in general.

1.With NO disrespect intended, Id like to know if you were NOT A 350z fan, and had the money to buy either a sububru STI or a 350z, what would it be and why?

2. STOCK, off the line im sure an STI can take a Z if im not wrong, but GENERALLY speaking, If i had lets say $10,000 extra....where would I get more HP AND PERFORMANCE for my buck?? on the z or sti?

3.im reading the sti forums too, just dont know which car is going to be more durable, reliable etc.
the only main thing that pushed me to 350Z is the reliablity compared to subaru and mitsu.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
DeeZ

Originally Posted by jeffie7
This is a super easy one to me.

Answer these questions for your answer.

Is the Z a daily driver year round? if so where do you live? do you have snow?

Do you have a garage?

I would never own a Z if I didnt have a garage. also, my Z never sees the streets if there's any snow or salt.

So on that note, living in an area that gets snow. I wouldnt own my Z if I didnt have a garage and a 2nd "beater" car.

If I could only have 1 car and had to deal with snow and such the STI would be my first pick.

Both cars are great. The STI feels smaller inside but has more room in the back. My elbows tend to rub the door more and the center consel is like RIGHT there. but the STI has tons of room in the rear/trunk.

The Z looks better by far. but the STI isnt to shabby.

so once again

#1 would be a Z IF you have a 2nd car for winter and a garage to keep it in.
if not the STI would be my pick hands down.

its funny how people act like the z is this 100k + kinda car.. never touches the snow and salt.. hell i have seen some people say that their z wont touch the rain..lmao

come on guys this is just a 30k car!

i do agree on the beater just because i dont trust the people driving around me in the snow that and RWD is not great on snow.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
hitop

No disrepect intended here either but I contemplated the STi for well, about a second but it's just flat out an ugly car, same goes for the EVO.

Z = Power, grace and beauty. Oh the lines.

STi = Square box on 4 wheels, four door. (Ugly)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Jamey1E

Ha Ha....A good buddy of mine has a modded sti, and when we hang out up town everyone comes up to look at my Z and pays the sti no attention, but i can't take anything away from it it's a heck of a ride......i just like my Z better and with the attention it gets i think everyone else does too...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by jakedajewel
the only main thing that pushed me to 350Z is the reliablity compared to subaru and mitsu.
Wow this thread is back from the dead! Sorry dude, the STI is much more reliable than the Z. No tranny problems, feathering, or power window problems. Consumer Reports rates Subaru at #1.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:05 PM
HighwaySpeed

Thumbs up

'06 Z
Old 12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Blue Komodo

This thread needs to see some more action. How come none of you have jumped back on it to hate on the STI?
Old 12-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Oresama

Z because the simple fact the STI needs racing gas to get what it advertises. It's not bad with pump gas but it wont run correctly without racing gas.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by Oresama
Z because the simple fact the STI needs racing gas to get what it advertises. It's not bad with pump gas but it wont run correctly without racing gas.
That's bull **** dude. Mine ran 12's on 93 octane all day. There was a knock problem when they first came out, Subaru reflashed the ECU's and they've been bullet proof ever since.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:43 AM
Oresama

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
That's bull **** dude. Mine ran 12's on 93 octane all day. There was a knock problem when they first came out, Subaru reflashed the ECU's and they've been bullet proof ever since.
didnt know that. My comment was obviously based on the STIs before that flash was done
Old 12-11-2005, 02:24 AM
C5's are better

The STI is ugly and not any faster than the 350Z...Same goes for the EVO...

The STI...EVO...And 350Z all trap in the 100-103 mph range bone stock at the track....

Depending on the Density altitude and elevation...Ive seen many STI's EVO's and 350Z's not even hit 100 mph in the 1/4 mile....

What this means is that if you have a sti evo and 350z all side by side on the freway at a 70 mph roll....

Who evers the better driver will win.

If all drivers are equal....Then who ever got the strongest one from the factory will win. Thats how close it is performance wise.

Your not gonna notice a STI pulling any harder around town or on the freeway than an 350Z...Cas it simply dosent...

The fact that the STI and EVO run mid 13's on average compared to the 350Z's low 14's on average has nonthing to do with the engine...

It's simply that the STI and EVO are AWD and EASILY get 1.8 60 fts bone stock.....

A 350Z EASILY gets 2.2 60 fts bone stock...

2.2 is slower than 1.8 by 4 TENTHS!!!!

Thats 4 tenths quicker that the STI or EVO will be quicker through the 1/4 mile just off the launch alone...

Now using a conservative rule of thumb that every 1 tenth gained in the 60 ft is worth 1.5 tenths through the 1/4 mile and........

That 4 tenth advantage that the sti and evo had over the 350Z in the 60 ft will end up being a 6 tenth advantage for the AWD cars over the 350 Z...

Lets just say that each car trapped at the normal 101 we sea them trap at average tracks....

With a average trap speed of 101 and a avaerage 60 ft of 2.2...The best the 350Z can hope for is a 13.9

With a average trap speed of 101 and a average 60 ft of 1.8....The best the AWD sti or evo can hope for is 13.3

There is a huge differance between 13.9 and 13.3..Were talking bus lengths here.....

But you take those same 3 cars ( that all trapped 101 at the track tonight)out on the freeway at a 70 mph roll.....

And the sti and evo advantage is gone.....It will be a close race between all 3 cars.

IT IS THIS REASON ALONE THAT MAKES ME WONDER WHY PEOPLE WHO DONT DRAG RACE THERE CAR WORRY ABOUT THE STI BEING FASTER AND USING THAT AS A VALUBLE POINT TO GET THE UGLY STI OVER THE BETTER LOOKING 350Z.

Seriously...They both trapp around the same in the 1/4 mile....The only way the STI would EVER seam faster is if you were launching from stop light to stop light....Or purposly coming to a complete stop before each turn...So you could build up your revs and floor it around the corner..

IF YOUR JUST CRUISING AT 40 MPH AND THINK THE LIGHT UP AHEAD MAY TURN YELLOW SOON SO YOU FLOOR IT IN ORDER TO MAKE THE LIGHT....THE 350Z, EVO AND STI ARE ALL GONNA FEEL ABOUT THE SAME GETTING THROUGH THE LIGHT...

I SERIOUSLY DONT THINK I CAN EXPLAIN IT ANY BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT GO AUTO CROSSING OR TO THE DRAG STRIP.

Now lets say you throw in a C5 corvette like mine into the mix....

At the strip...

Once again the STI/Evo pulls a average 1.8 60 ft off an average 101 mph...The best there gonna get is a 13.3 at 101 mphoff that 60 ft and mph...

Now the C5 pulls an average 2.2 60 ft and and an average 107 mph...The best the C5 is gonna do is a 13.3 at 107 mph off that 60 ft and mph...

Some of you still arent getting it and thinking...WOW..The STI/EVO is just as fast as the C5....

And YEA from a stand still there very similar...

But put the EVO, STI, 350Z and C5 all back on the freeway and have them race from a 70 mph roll....

Once again the EVO..STI and 350 Z will all have a VERY close race with the better driver winning...Simply because they all trapped 101 mph at the same track on the same night...

The C5 will pull ahead with ease..He trapped 107 mph at the same track at the same night..

Since he trapped 6 mph higher than the other 3 cars...He will constantly be at a speed of 6 mph higher than the rest...

While the evo..sti and 350Z are all at 95 mph and still moving up through the revs...He will already be at 101 mph and still pulling up through the revs...

The rate of speed that The C5 will pull the other 3 cars is about the same as watching a slow jogger, jogging at a speed of 6 mph passing a parked STI or Evo or 350Z...

It wont be lightning quick...But probaly 1 car length every 2-3 seconds or so...

Lets go back to the 350Z and evo/sti that was criusing at 40 mph and then saw the light up ahead that was about to turn yellow and tried to make the light...

The EVO..Sti and 350Z that all trapped 101 mph in the 1/4 mile will all feel the same when the pedal is mashed at 40 mph to beat the light..

The C5 will be slightly faster to the light and have a noticable seat of the pants differance in acelleration compared to the other 3...

Once again it trapped 107 mph at the same track on the same night as the other 3..

NOW MPH IS A REASON TO GET ONE CAR OVER ANOTHER BECAUSE IT'S QUICKER...

Even though the Evo/STI and C5 all ran the same 13.3 ET that night.....You wont have to be at a stand still to see how the C5 is more powerful/quicker than the 350Z you were considering.

Everytime you mash the gas in the C5 from ANY mph..You will feel how much faster it is....

That is a real reason to get a car cas it's quicker...MPH..not 60 fts..

What would happen if you put slicks on the 350Z that ran a 13.9 at 101 mph off a 2.2 60 ft????

Im guessing a 1.8 60 ft with a 13.4 at 100 mph...( you loose a little mph with traction)

Now you can easily see how the STI/EVO is actualy no quicker...

Now lets give slicks to the C5 that ran a 2.2 60 ft to a 13.3 at 107 mph...

Off a 1.8 60 ft that same C5 that ran 13.3 at 107 would run a 12.8 at 106 mph.....

Take the impressive launching 350Z and C5 that just ran 13.4 and 12.8 respectivly on slicks and have them roll race a stock 350Z and stock C5 that are on street tires compared to our slicks from a 70 mph roll..

The 350Z's will be kneck and kneck as will the C5's...

BUT HOW CAN THIS BE!!!!THE 350Z JUST RAN A 13.4 AT THE TRACK AND THE C5 JUST RAN A 12.8...

HOW ARE THE STOCK 350 Z THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.9 AND THE STOCK C5 THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.3 HANGING KNECK AND KNECK WITH MY LOW 13 SECOND 350Z AND YOUR HIGH 12 SECOND C5??????

SIMPLE...cas on the highway impressive launches dont mean jack....driving around town..impressive launches dont mean jack...trying to beat the light...impressive launches dont mean jack..

So seriously...Unless your gonna drag race the car...Dont get an ugly STI/Evo over an 350Z cas you think it's gonna be quicker....

THEY TRAP AROUND THE SAME MPH AT THE STRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:01 AM
bstansbu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5's are better

The STI...EVO...And 350Z all trap in the 100-103 mph range bone stock at the track....

Depending on the Density altitude and elevation...Ive seen many STI's EVO's and 350Z's not even hit 100 mph in the 1/4 mile....

What this means is that if you have a sti evo and 350z all side by side on the freway at a 70 mph roll....

If all drivers are equal....Then who ever got the strongest one from the factory will win. Thats how close it is performance wise.

Your not gonna notice a STI pulling any harder around town or on the freeway than an 350Z...Cas it simply dosent...

The fact that the STI and EVO run mid 13's on average compared to the 350Z's low 14's on average has nonthing to do with the engine...

It's simply that the STI and EVO are AWD and EASILY get 1.8 60 fts bone stock.....

Thats 4 tenths quicker that the STI or EVO will be quicker through the 1/4 mile just off the launch alone...

Now using a conservative rule of thumb that every 1 tenth gained in the 60 ft is worth 1.5 tenths through the 1/4 mile and........

That 4 tenth advantage that the sti and evo had over the 350Z in the 60 ft will end up being a 6 tenth advantage for the AWD cars over the 350 Z...

Lets just say that each car trapped at the normal 101 we sea them trap at average tracks....

With a average trap speed of 101 and a avaerage 60 ft of 2.2...The best the 350Z can hope for is a 13.9

With a average trap speed of 101 and a average 60 ft of 1.8....The best the AWD sti or evo can hope for is 13.3

There is a huge differance between 13.9 and 13.3..Were talking bus lengths here.....

But you take those same 3 cars ( that all trapped 101 at the track tonight)out on the freeway at a 70 mph roll.....

And the sti and evo advantage is gone.....It will be a close race between all 3 cars.

IT IS THIS REASON ALONE THAT MAKES ME WONDER WHY PEOPLE WHO DONT DRAG RACE THERE CAR WORRY ABOUT THE STI BEING FASTER AND USING THAT AS A VALUBLE POINT TO GET THE UGLY STI OVER THE BETTER LOOKING 350Z.

Seriously...They both trapp around the same in the 1/4 mile....The only way the STI would EVER seam faster is if you were launching from stop light to stop light....Or purposly coming to a complete stop before each turn...So you could build up your revs and floor it around the corner..

IF YOUR JUST CRUISING AT 40 MPH AND THINK THE LIGHT UP AHEAD MAY TURN YELLOW SOON SO YOU FLOOR IT IN ORDER TO MAKE THE LIGHT....THE 350Z, EVO AND STI ARE ALL GONNA FEEL ABOUT THE SAME GETTING THROUGH THE LIGHT...

I SERIOUSLY DONT THINK I CAN EXPLAIN IT ANY BETTER FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT GO AUTO CROSSING OR TO THE DRAG STRIP.

At the strip...

Once again the STI/Evo pulls a average 1.8 60 ft off an average 101 mph...The best there gonna get is a 13.3 at 101 mphoff that 60 ft and mph...

Now the C5 pulls an average 2.2 60 ft and and an average 107 mph...The best the C5 is gonna do is a 13.3 at 107 mph off that 60 ft and mph...

Some of you still arent getting it and thinking...WOW..The STI/EVO is just as fast as the C5....

But put the EVO, STI, 350Z and C5 all back on the freeway and have them race from a 70 mph roll....

Once again the EVO..STI and 350 Z will all have a VERY close race with the better driver winning...Simply because they all trapped 101 mph at the same track on the same night...

The C5 will pull ahead with ease..He trapped 107 mph at the same track at the same night..

Since he trapped 6 mph higher than the other 3 cars...He will constantly be at a speed of 6 mph higher than the rest...

While the evo..sti and 350Z are all at 95 mph and still moving up through the revs...He will already be at 101 mph and still pulling up through the revs...

The rate of speed that The C5 will pull the other 3 cars is about the same as watching a slow jogger, jogging at a speed of 6 mph passing a parked STI or Evo or 350Z...

It wont be lightning quick...But probaly 1 car length every 2-3 seconds or so...

Lets go back to the 350Z and evo/sti that was criusing at 40 mph and then saw the light up ahead that was about to turn yellow and tried to make the light...

The EVO..Sti and 350Z that all trapped 101 mph in the 1/4 mile will all feel the same when the pedal is mashed at 40 mph to beat the light..

The C5 will be slightly faster to the light and have a noticable seat of the pants differance in acelleration compared to the other 3...

Once again it trapped 107 mph at the same track on the same night as the other 3..

Even though the Evo/STI and C5 all ran the same 13.3 ET that night.....You wont have to be at a stand still to see how the C5 is more powerful/quicker than the 350Z you were considering.

Everytime you mash the gas in the C5 from ANY mph..You will feel how much faster it is....

What would happen if you put slicks on the 350Z that ran a 13.9 at 101 mph off a 2.2 60 ft????

Im guessing a 1.8 60 ft with a 13.4 at 100 mph...( you loose a little mph with traction)

Off a 1.8 60 ft that same C5 that ran 13.3 at 107 would run a 12.8 at 106 mph.....

Take the impressive launching 350Z and C5 that just ran 13.4 and 12.8 respectivly on slicks and have them roll race a stock 350Z and stock C5 that are on street tires compared to our slicks from a 70 mph roll..

BUT HOW CAN THIS BE!!!!THE 350Z JUST RAN A 13.4 AT THE TRACK AND THE C5 JUST RAN A 12.8...

HOW ARE THE STOCK 350 Z THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.9 AND THE STOCK C5 THAT SHOULD ONLY RUN A 13.3 HANGING KNECK AND KNECK WITH MY LOW 13 SECOND 350Z AND YOUR HIGH 12 SECOND C5??????

SIMPLE...cas on the highway impressive launches dont mean jack....driving around town..impressive launches dont mean jack...trying to beat the light...impressive launches dont mean jack..

So seriously...Unless your gonna drag race the car...Dont get an ugly STI/Evo over an 350Z cas you think it's gonna be quicker....

I have a headache!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:08 AM
LIdrew

good comparison. Plus I believe you would look like a tool launching a car @ 5k+ Rpms at a red light on the street. which is what is necessary in a 4WD Turbo 4 cyl. Think about it. I do really like all the cars mentioned. I just chose the Z because it has good power, handles well and looks amazing. I have also had other Nissans and they were good cars.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5's are better

At the strip...

Let me guess, in C5's are faster land there are only straight roads !

Take these cars to the a full road track (you know, one you actually have to steer from time to time) and a bone stock STi will kill a stock 350Z and most probably a C5... The EVO will be a close match.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Which did you buy? The 350Z or WRX STi?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Blue Komodo

Originally Posted by Kolia
Take these cars to the a full road track (you know, one you actually have to steer from time to time) and a bone stock STi will kill a stock 350Z and most probably a C5... The EVO will be a close match.
Kolia you beat me to it man. Did you have a Rex or an STI? I can't remember. I find the 3 drivetrains very simular setting up for a turn, but the AWD exits much faster.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
ANXIOUZ

Kolia...that was a nice read. I, for one, am willing to accept that the Z isn't as fast off the line as an EVO or STI. I'll sacrifice some performance for looks any day.

I parked next to an STI last week at the market. When I was walking back to my car I saw several people looking at my Z and not a single glance at the STI (which was slightly modded and looked freaking killer). I felt good about that.

But if I ever move to a place that gets snow regularly...I might have to move on to one of those 2. It would kill me to drive a winter beater.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Chineseguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here i was at jamba juice and parked right next to a 05 White STi and i had a 06 White Z and people were crowding around my Z like if it were a exotic car and the STi had no attention none at all and the interior of the Z is alot better but STis are nice and fast but i like the Z alot more
Old 12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
C5's are better

Once again...I said unless you drag race the cars I dont see the point...The origional poster said he is not interested in drag racing or auto crossing..

But he kept thinking about getting the STI instaead of the Z (possibly) because the STI is faster...

I was simply explaining to the origional poster that the STI will not (FeeL) any faster during the normal driving you do 90% of the time..

The only time it will be faster is when it is launched from a dead stop...

Now if he was interested in drag racing or auto crossing I would have wrote things quite differently and in Favor of the STI...

The STI will kill a 350Z on a road course with ease...

The STI and C5 corvette are nearly identical in all areas..

-Both low to mid .90's on a 200ft skid pad

-Both mid to high 60's on the 600 ft slalom

-Both run low 13's with occassional cars getting high 12's

They are nearly EQUAL in the twisties..Some mags giving the C5 advantages with some mags giving the STI advantages....( LONG DISPUTE ON A STI FORUM A FEW MONTHS AGO HAD US CALLING IT A DRAW)

But the C5 usualy traps 107-110 mph in the 1/4 mile while the STI trapps 100-103 mph in the 1/4 mile...

Due to this fact the C5 will pull the STI with ease on the straights and match it turn for turn in the twisties....

So on aroad course the C5 actually has the advantage..

Now on a Rally course were the STI is ment to be...

Thats a different story...

So KOLIA....As far as corvette land and racing around turns....

Do you think the C5 with a 49/51 weight distribution cant handle or somthing...

Low to mid .90's on the skid pad and mid to high 60's on a 600 ft slalom is actually pretty impressive?????

Ive road raced my C5 on closed courses here in Hawaii and have found the stock C5 to be more than enough for most competitors...

Ive even held off a 360 modena who was directly behind me for 8 laps when I was bone stock.

To be totaly honest...The STI and EVO got dominated so bad by the C5's and other cars in the T3 class.....

That they now officaly compete in the T2 class...
Old 12-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Komodo
Kolia you beat me to it man. Did you have a Rex or an STI? I can't remember. I find the 3 drivetrains very simular setting up for a turn, but the AWD exits much faster.
I have an Impreza 2.5RS as daily driver/winter beater and the 350Z for the track and week-end drive. No need for 300hp if I’m driving on the snow with no traction!

I track the Z with my Subaru friends (we rent a track for a full week-end every year). We have Solo2 drivers, Canadian rally champions and GT racers in our lot, some pretty good drivers. It’s incredible how hard I have to work to keep up with a stock STi driven by my own beginner students!

I like to work for my lap time. That’s one reason I chose the Z over an STi. It’s so much more rewarding to nail your apex just right on RWD car than just throw an AWD car anyways and power slide out of it. It’s just too easy!

maximZ

Quick Reply: NO disrespect intended, Z or Wrx STI