2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Well, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the Z...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:57 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolverineut
Irresponsible? How?
By potentially endangering others. What if someone was stopped in the road, or someone pulled out into the road? (I've seen both happen)

Originally Posted by Wolverineut
I have never been in an accident. How about you?
Good for you. Would you want to share the road with yourself, or drivers like you?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:58 PM
B-Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And yes, ive been in 2 accidents, both times being hit by irresponsible drivers with their heads up their asses.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:00 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Youve got to be kidding me with this line!!! From this and this alone, i can guarentee that you are under the age of 20, and thats a guarentee. Your mind is incapable of looking at things for their consequences and all you think a car is for is showing off! What a joke, its people like you that sportscar owners a bad name
yeah, Bensin you've made several comments to indicate that you're a teenager.

saying stuff to the effect of I was only going less than 110 mph, the cop should have gone easy on me. And as if what's the big deal anyway since there was only like 1 other car on the road with me going under 110mph. People go 110 all the time, it should be ok for me to do too right? Then there's the bit about how having a radar detector might have prevented this. (wtf?) How the cop should have just let two cars go by him going 100+mph and blew it off saying "bah it's just kids, I'm sure they're being safe"

Anyway, I'm not saying anything bad about you or anything. Everyone has to vent and everyone's natural tendancy is to feel violated. I know, crap has happened to me a few times too - actually just a few months ago. I look back and laugh now about being handcuffed for going 93. I had a huge thread too. I was more trying to seek advice than vent because I thought the cop used excessive force on me. Everything the cop did to me made sense to me and I might have even done the same if I was in his shoes. Anyway, it comes down to it was just a bad situation and even though the officer might not have fully understood how "safe" you were actually being while going that fast (and we do all know what you mean - I think there is a difference between safer and less safe speeding) the officer isn't in the wrong to do what is a proper protocal measure with how to write you up.

I know man, it sucks. Many of us have been there. All any of us can say is don't speed. I catch myself speeding more than I should even still, but I don't do stuff like I used to. Maybe take some track lessons and have some good safe fun that way.

Anyway, if you are a teenager, the cop was trying to scare you to death. I don't know your local state laws, about getting your license suspended. Some states are HARSH on street racing. They might punish the crap out of you to drill it into your head not to do that. And well, it works. Can't argue that. Sucks, but believe me when I say it'll end up not being as bad as you think. If you go in blazing with a lawyer trying to fight everything, it could work against you or for you. Many people say to get a lawyer. I never did and was very happy with my punishment and saved a bunch of cash, but lawyers in AZ are like $1000, not 300 like others have said - though that might have been cause I was cited for criminal speeding, not normal speeding

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:04 PM
BENSIN

Sentry65,

I'm not the one who inquired about buying a Z if not for showing off...

I agree with most of your points though and feel the same way, like I said I don't like to speed excessivley. That's the second time in my life I've gone over a hundred... I just keep the pace of traffic whenever there is any. I mean, **** the conditions were so perfect. Guy comes up right beside me, revs, I look around, no traffic, no cops in sight, why the hell not!

lesson learnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnned

...and no I'm not a teen, while they might be targeted as violators, and with justification, speed comes from any person willing to hit the gas and go that fast.

Last edited by BENSIN; 08-15-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:05 PM
B-Unit

LMAO, we should put this thread into the "why you shouldnt get a teenager a Z" thread!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by BENSIN
Sentry65,

I'm not the one who inquired about buying a Z if not for showing off...

yeah I know what you've said, there's just typical things teenagers say mostly because of lack of experience or lack of the bigger picture maybe:

Recently I was clocked a little more than double the speed limit,

Thanks a lot you damn PIG.

Just read those last lines. I edited out the excess stuff. See your attitude over it? You somehow feel like the cop didn't do the right thing

Road was clear, dry, no traffic just me and another car, that was the stupid thing though since we stuck out like sore thumbs. sticking out like a sore thumb is bad. It's easy to get pulled over.

Get a radar detector!

Radar detector won't save you man - that cop could eyeball you. What makes you think every cop uses a radar detector all the time and always has it on?

There was zero traffic, the only traffic was me and the other car other car is considered to be traffic. If one of you wrecked and hit the other, you'd both be injured.

, it was almost 2 AM, that's what I did that was stupid, racing with only me and one other car on the highway...we stuck out like sore thumbs. again with the standing out.

It wasn't a street, it was a highway. Do highways mean you can go 100+mph?

I see people going WELL past 110 on here and other forums

what does this have to do with anything? A lot of the people on some of these forums are idiots

, he's a pig because I could have gotten off with a lot less.

What obligation does the cop have to let you off with less? You got screwed man, that sucks, but it wasn't in any way outside the realms of the law

Keeping in mind I've never been pulled over before, no tickets, I don't even speed (aside from this time and one other time.), honestly I consider myself a careful driver and would even have attempted anything like that if there was anyone else on the roads, take that as you will.
yeah, and everyone always maintains that they are safe drivers. Even when they are drunk for instance

NO RUNNING in an open gym. like a high school gym?
Like I said lesson learned. Get a radar detector!

So I raced some guy, I BARELY went over 100 MPH, big freaking deal yeah sure big deal , the only thing that was in danger of being hurt by my car or the other guy's car plowing into them were bugs buzzing around at night. yeah or driving thru a ridge or hole or oil, water, or debri in the road and wrecking the car at 100+mph

cops job is to protect the public, that means even you from yourself

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 PM
B-Unit

BENSIN is either a immature little teenage idiot, or a completely retarded adult, either way, its not looking to promising for the fellow!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I don't think anyone should make fun of him. I mean he screwed up pretty bad, but we don't need to resort to making fun of him

I think he probalby is an otherwise good driver. He says he's learned his lesson as most of us have at one point or another.

I've been there and it sucks. It sucks not knowing what's going to happen in court either. The system does like to make an example and lasting impression on teenagers so that is kinda unfair in a way. But it usually all works out in the end and someday you WILL laugh about it. They're pretty fun stories to tell people sometimes. Cause most normal car drivers never drive much past 80mph so 110 is like crazy fast to them.

First night I got my Z I went stupid fast too just cause of the thrill. You grow out of it though after a couple times and especially when reality hits and you realize how serious of a crime you're actually commiting in the eyes of the law (our views may differ of course)

Anyway, I just wanted to point out stuff he said that give away his age. Teenagers don't think like older adults. Their world view is a little more self centered than someone who has lived longer and seen multiple angles on things more

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:54 PM
BENSIN

Sentry, very open minded...

I'm actually in my early 20's. The thread started out as a venting thread, of course I'm pissed at him and as you can see it took on a different path than originally intended. You make a lot of good points, and I agree with you for the most part. I still maintain that there was no danger, I'm not God but it really was a clear night out, straight highway, very well lit, no traffic, 3 lanes wide... It doesn't take much to go in a straight line. The only danger really is that the other guy could've been drunk...but that is a whole different discussion.

Honestly, I laughed the whole way home, what a ***** it was to get stopped... I laughed the whole way home because I kept telling myself, 'Hey at least you won', despite the dire situation I had just been stuck with.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:08 PM
B-Unit

yea, the good thing is you learned a lesson, dont worry about the raggin by me. Part of that was the wrath of my boredome
Old 08-15-2005, 09:19 PM
ChangingZgame

Well, it's a good thing he HAD a Z. I'm sure many of the Z drivers on the forum graduated from cars that felt like they were AIRBORNE at those speeds. At least in the Z he had some control of his life. Old Civic + 110 = . It's alright to vent. Just be aware that the cop would've probably given you more of a break if you hadn't been racing. (In his mind, you're going 110 influenced the other person to go that fast so now he's even madder at you). And if there's one thing i've learned in my days, its never break 100 at night. Regardless of how well lit the road is..cops know that there are gaps in the light, and thats where they sit and wait. I'm not trying to give you tips to get away with it. But lets face it, sometimes our engines start talking to us, and we just want to go. Do what I did, take a trip to the website of your state's department of motor vehichles. Spend the time to look at every highway and interstate to see how many cars go on it per day. Take the lowest 10 and look at them on the map. Generally, a couple are nice and straight and others are nice and curvy. Go out in the DAYTIME examine the road, see where THEY could be watching, and experiment at your own risk. I almost feel guilty for saying all that, but I hate to see a Z go to waste. Good luck in court, maybe you'll get lucky. Best wishes, BENSIN.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:30 PM
sentry65
the burninator

when it really comes down to it, I was actually more pissed at the situation I was in and not so much the cop. What my cop did at the time in a way was very text book procedure and typical. What I was pissed at was that I had my side of the story and I thought I wasn't being as unsafe as he acted like I was and had a hard time trying to convey that to him etc etc. But in the end I was just pissed to be in that situation and not the cop himself.

My cop thought I was driving a stolen car or something and was trying to get away from him. This was at night and all I could see in my rear view mirror were the headlights of this crazy *** tailgater following me - who was a cop thinking I was trying to flee from him He was shining a spotlight in my rear view mirror (to warn me ) and as far as I knew it was just this jerk with bright headlights getting just the right angle to shine light in my face and annoy me. He was SURE I knew he was a cop. I have tinted windows too, and the Z's rear window is pretty small. He was close enough that I don't remember being able to even see the top of his car to see if I could see the outline of police lights. He didn't turn on his siren lights until he was right on me. He was following me cause I was punching it here and there in low gears (my car is loud) - never going more than 85 until he was dangerously right on my ***. Traffic was moving around 80.

He has his respective view, and I have mine, but I was so frusturated that I couldn't explain to him why I did what I did and what I thought. I was actually caught so off guard to think straight cause
he had his gun drawn
told me to get out of the car
cuffed me
said I was criminal speeding
that my car is going to be impounded, (which at the time thought that might mean they flat out TAKE my car cause it's criminal speeding)
searched me
searched my car
put me in the back of the cop car
said I will have to pay up to a $500 fine
that I will be going to jail that night
that my license might be suspended for up to 90 days
That I might have to do up to 30 days in jail
and there were two cop cars that pulled me over, not just one etc.

Yeah I had the crap scared out of me. I just thought it was going to be a routine speeding ticket and talk my way out of them like I usually would half the time (just saying sorry, I'll slow down etc)

It doesn't change the fact that I DID speed up to 93 thinking I'd lose this guy. 93 in a 65. That is very much considered Criminal speeding in AZ which is anything that's 20 or over.

Once he realized I'm just a normal guy who was speeding, his attitude changed a lot. He let me go home with my car, but did give me a criminal speeding ticket - probably cause there was another cop there and he already phoned in that he might need a tow truck etc. He probably couldn't let me off with a normal speeding ticket at that point cause he would have gotten in trouble. So he basically did do me a favor as much as he could at that point.

When I talked to a couple lawyers, they all said they didn't think they'd really be able to do much to help me. I was going 93. The BEST they could do is get me a compromise between a regular speeding ticket and a criminal speeding ticket - kinda a hybrid, but it was a gamble. I just went in to court on my own, pleaded guilty with explanation. Explained myself. Paid $425 and 3 pts on my record. That was all.

we're all better off saving our speeding for the track

Last edited by sentry65; 08-15-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Aloha350z

This past weekend, we had a traffic fatality here on Oahu. The convertible was speeding, and the driver lost control of the car. They hit a telephone pole (which moved 15' and dangled by the wires), and the passenger went flying out of the car (probably not wearing their seatbelt). The passenger died at the scene, and the driver was medivac by helicopter in very serious condition. The driver was probably thinking just like Bensin. (Thinking that just because he was going fast, he's not endangering anybody.)

Yeah, I sometimes speed in my Z, but never double the speed limit. Speed limits are there for a reason...some lives are ended way-y-y to early. IMO.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by B-Unit
I must be confused, are you the original poster????
Nope, I was confused. Please disregard.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by ChangingZgame
And if there's one thing i've learned in my days, its never break 100 at night. Regardless of how well lit the road is..cops know that there are gaps in the light, and thats where they sit and wait.
+1
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 AM
BENSIN

Originally Posted by Aloha350z
This past weekend, we had a traffic fatality here on Oahu. The convertible was speeding, and the driver lost control of the car. They hit a telephone pole (which moved 15' and dangled by the wires), and the passenger went flying out of the car (probably not wearing their seatbelt). The passenger died at the scene, and the driver was medivac by helicopter in very serious condition. The driver was probably thinking just like Bensin. (Thinking that just because he was going fast, he's not endangering anybody.)

Yeah, I sometimes speed in my Z, but never double the speed limit. Speed limits are there for a reason...some lives are ended way-y-y to early. IMO.
Conditions were different man and I had no passenger I will never race with someone being in the car with me.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:30 AM
BENSIN

Sentry, I guess we're in the same boat, thinking back on it, I did commit the violation, but no way in hell I'm going to be happy about the outcome.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 AM
Spideynw

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
Good for you. Would you want to share the road with yourself, or drivers like you?
Of course, drivers like me, then there would not be anymore accidents. As I said, I have never been in an accident.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Spideynw

Sentry65, wow, you were totally screwed by the man. He was tailing you. Let's see, oh yea, that IS illegal. How nice, that he can break the law, isn't it? Total pig thing to do. You have every right to be pissed at that cop, and not just the situation. I guess you could have pulled over. Then again, if it was some crazy lunatic, he might have pulled over too and done who knows what. So, you did what you thought was most prudent, and sped up to try and lose him. But, being that it was a pig, he then proceeded to pull you over. Again, I say he was a pig because of the situation, not just because he is a cop. Instead of pulling crap like that, he should have just pulled you over for doing 85, and THEN ran the license plate, in a safe situation.

I had a pig try and pull something similar to that on me once. I was doing 74 in a 65 and had a cop follow me for THIRTY miles to see if he could catch me doing something worse. I didn't know he was there. Not until I finally saw him and slowed to 70 did he pull me over.

Last edited by Spideynw; 08-16-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Spideynw

Aloha350z, what is your point? No one here has said anything about passengers, except for you. Most likely, the passenger didn't care, at all, since he/she didn't even have a seatbelt on. If someone wants to take their own life in their own hands, who are you to say they shouldn't? You probably think assisted suicide is wrong. When we have been talking about endangering others, we are talking about other drivers, not passengers.

Quick Reply: Well, I guess I'm going to have to wait for the Z...again