Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would the REAL 350Z Fans Please Stand Up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 11:27 PM
justwant1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay,

I have to agree with what you are saying. I for one and not new to your site, but new to placing posts. I have been following the Z for a long time now and am willing to wait and see what Nissan has to say about the numbers. I can't believe how many freaked out about the numbers from one source. Hasn't Nissan been saying 3188 lbs all along?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:29 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya Jay...I saw that an article was finally out and got happy! I read it and got even happier! I mean, seriously, what should we expect for 27,000+ I love the Z, I love the looks, I love the power...Or shall I say, "I WILL love" once I get to drive it. Thanks for everything Jay (and Car and Driver too!)...

Also, I did notice that a lot of the newer members to join are throwing in their .02 a lot more than us older members. The older members are mostly defending, I wonder why that is?
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 PM
350zpower

the Z is still a great all in all car. I'm still excited to get mine, but too bad I wont be smokin any Trans-Ams and Camaro's ..

ahh well .. Ce la'vie
Old 06-26-2002, 11:37 PM
ToddLuc

Default Re: Would the REAL 350Z Fans Please Stand Up?

Originally posted by JmanZ
Has anyone else noticed most of the posts where there is complaining and people freaking out, are from "newbies"?
I agree with your comments about the madness.

My original (and still) reason for buying this car is that it is an awesome sports car, and it looks incredible from ANY angle you look at it.

I am relatively new to this site, and definitely new to the Z. I come from Toyota (Tacoma) 4x4 pickups, so I am in for a real adventure and treat. I, for one, cannot wait. Literally, I am having a problem waiting.

For me, the 2003 350Z is the most incredible sports car I have ever seen. I love it over all other cars I have seen.

Why is this important to me? Again, I come from Toyota 4x4 pickups. To get me into a car, any car, was a hard thing. I am now a die-hard Z fan, even though I have yet to see it in person!

Great site Jay,
Todd
Old 06-26-2002, 11:38 PM
wooglin

I completely agree and can't wait for mine to come in. Something to think about: Most here are very emotionally involved in their Z and are tearing apart that article line by line (and performance stats decimal by decimal)...which might explain why some people thought it was a mixed or negative article.

Me- I'm not into cars all that much, and therefore, don't subscribe to car magazines...so to me (the average Joe out there) that article was great. Sure it had a few sentences with concerns, but all in all, GREAT!

0-60 in 5.4 FINE BY ME!
Slight understeer...whatever, I don't even know what that means
Old 06-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

I, for one, am a true 350Z fan.

This will be my third Z. I have no question in my mind that I have ordered the right car (for me).

I am not into having the fastest car on the street. What I AM into is having the nicest one in the state (or wider area). Mine will be a garage queen for the most part. I am not going to drive it to work (one mile commute). I will wax it often and it will be one car to drool over. That's my thing. All the noobs with complaints can have their thing but I don't care about their issues with the testing numbers.

I ordered the Nav so I could play with all the electronic goodies. This is the right car for me whether it comes in at fighting weight or 130 pounds more, I don't really care. HP will be plenty, don't forget the less drive train loss with the CF driveshaft.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:48 PM
VandyZ

The only numbers people should be concerned with is the numbers they will have when they drive it themselves. I am sure the Nissan numbers that a few of us have are with a non-production model as well. I believe the embargo may allow Nissan a little extra time to iron some things out. The numbers are definitely better than promised, people are just cranky because they don’t have a Q45 or SE-R type of stink to really be pissed about. Basically people are pissed because they cant be insanely pissed or insanely ecstatic. Here’s an idea. . . just tell people that yours has 290 or 300 hp and does 0-60 in 5 seconds and the 1/4 in 13.6, most people will never know.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:52 PM
dc350z

Unhappy Oh, please.....

"Has anyone else noticed most of the posts where there is complaining and people freaking out, are from "newbies"?

(for those that are unsure of the the term "newbie"... it just means from people new to this forum and most likely, to the Z faith as well)"

Jman, that was out of line.

I am complaining, and I am upset, close to majorly PO'd about some of these numbers. However the one number I have a beef with, which affects the rest, is the curb weight.
THAT NUMBER PUBLISHED IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR A SPORTS CAR!!!!

If I wanted a GT, I would have purchased a Supra!
I have owned Z's since 1989 and have passionately and devotedly stuck to the marque regardless. But I don't want to shell out money for a fat pig! Plain and simple. I am dissapointed.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:55 PM
wr_mem

I agree completely. Although I too am a newbie in regards to posts, i've been following the Z since it was announced and preordered in mid jan.

I follow other Internet forum boards for other things (specifically video/audio equipment) and many of the responses on this forum to the C&D review remind me of situations where people "froth at the mouth" over slim differences in acoustic and video fidelty. I find it amazing that people can even tell the difference in those matters much less get angry over them.

The fact of the matter is, I would never be able to tell the difference between driving a 5.4s or a 4.9s car (much less a 5.4s vs. a 5.2). Come on -- a half to a quarter of a second? Maybe I'm not enough of a car enthusist -- but I'm still happy with my choice.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:57 PM
Tony Alonso

I am a 350Z fan and I don't even have one ordered! Ther performance stats are there. Based on my previous experience with the '90 300ZX I owned for 4 years, I am sure the handling will be there. Styling is subjective, but I think it's fabulous. I have lived and breathed the final development stages for the last 12 months from afar, just like many of you. I will be looking forward to the time I will be able to ride in or drive one.

Tony Alonso
'00 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
- fake '01 hood scoop
- fake aluminum Bullitt shifter trim ring
- Bullitt wheels (not fake)

Formerly,
'87 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
'90 Mitsubishi Eclipse Non-Turbo and Turbo
'90 Nissan 300ZX
'95 Dodge Ram Sport
'95 Dodge Stratus
'94 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
'96 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe

Last edited by Tony Alonso; 06-27-2002 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:03 AM
VandyZ

Although they listed the curb weight as XXXX lbs, I think they mean "as tested weight" Most mags give a curb weight and a tested weight. C&D did not. I saw the door sticker and it had a much higher number for the gross weight of the vehicle than even the C&D article. Wait for more publications to see, better yet wait for your preorder. If you don’t have a preorder, don't complain here and go buy or look at something else.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:10 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool Re: I'm Standing, because...

Originally posted by dv_johnson
[BMy read seemed to indicate that they were very impressed overall for the value, and that just like any other car, there were things they'd do differently.

[/B]
My feelings exactly..after reading the article I felt that overall it was a very positive reaction to the car..won't be cancelling my order and you can believe I will be at my dealer within ten minutes of the call that he has it
Old 06-27-2002, 12:13 AM
jim350z

" All you need to know about this new Nissan 350Z is that when it comes to its price-and-performance quotient, it is a re-creation of the segment-busting Datsun 240Z that set the sports -car world on its ear in 1970" Csaba Csere C&D Aug.2002

This is exactly what IMO nissan was pointing for and suceeded. I could'nt be more happy!!!!

Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 AM
pointfivezero
Charter Member #16

Default If I was Bill Gates......

.....I'd offer to refund any skeptic's deposit and assume their place in line. But, sadly, I just learned how to CTRL+ALT+DLT.

I saw the car Sunday. It looks awesome standing still.

Charter Member #16 - In for the long haul.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 AM
350ZMan

Default Right on Jay and Jill !!!

I just wish everyone would chill-the-Hell-out !!!

For $27K, $29K or $35K, we are all getting one Great car !!! It has looks like a car-designer's wet dream, will drive like a som-***** and have more power than any of us will ever use !!!

I don't give a rat's 'pa-tuz-ski' if it has 280HP, 267HP or 291.2833HP (which it really will ... hah!). If it goes 0 to 60 in 5.4, 5.2 or 5.678, I honestly won't be able to tell. I don't want to go out and 'smoke' any TransAms, Cameros or any other 'weed' I find out in the street.

Let's just calm down and try to relax until Nissan is confident with the first production models that come off the 'line' and starts real, heavy-duty production.

As KraZy said, " (We are getting) a sleek, agressive, performance-driven, 2-seat sports car that can run with the best of 'em. Period. "
Old 06-27-2002, 12:26 AM
kroams

Its not the performance numbers that bother me. You can always add a supercharger to fix that. Its the damn weight that seems ridiculously high for a 2-seater sports car. With added power it will be fast off the line but it won't be as nimble through the twisties.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:31 AM
NSANY
Charter Member #52

Holy crow, people. How many more times are people going to ask that every comment be sugar-coated and sanitized beyond recognition, for fear of insulting someone?

It's no wonder this country's court system was able to successfully deem the Pledge of Allegiance unconstitutional...

If lively debate or a difference of opinion are too much for you to take, I suggest hugging a tree.

In the meantime, I fully support anyone's right to worship or demonize any aspect of the Z. The argument being presented about the Z being too heavy is certainly a valid one.

Stop being so sensitive, people.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:32 AM
silvrz5

Originally posted by 350zpower
the Z is still a great all in all car. I'm still excited to get mine, but too bad I wont be smokin any Trans-Ams and Camaro's ..

ahh well .. Ce la'vie
ya the f bodies will still win every stop light race.......
Mustangs will be neck and neck.....also the tt300z will also be neck and neck.
knid of a disappointment........ evo vII when ru coming out to play.
4.7 to 60 and 13.0 1/4 mile........ this looks like fun!

Quick Reply: Would the REAL 350Z Fans Please Stand Up?