infinite z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another:
Attached Thumbnails Cracked my wheel! Aaaaggh!-crackrim3.jpg  
Old 12-13-2002, 07:46 PM
westpak
SFZCC

That is some scary ****, that a wheel would crack like that, I don't see where your impact damage and where the crack would start but it looks like the crack is in the middle of the rim and propagates out toward the edges. It is hard to tell with dirt making the crack more porminent than it might be.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:58 PM
raceboy
Banned

I still don't undertand how you could crack the rim like that but have no damage to the wheel lip???
Old 12-13-2002, 08:06 PM
infinite z

Yeah, best I can tell, the impact was in the middle of the tire, and it compressed the tire until it hit the rim and cracked it. It's hard to see from the pics, but in the middle of the wheel above the crack, you can see a big indentation/scrape. I think it is where it got hit, whatever it was. Jesus, definitely scary!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:27 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Wait a minute, the tire compressed until it hit the rim??? I don't think so, unless your tires were flat and you hit a sharp object that is not likely to happen. If you tires are inflated can you imagine how hard you would have to hit something to compressed those 225/45 tires, the sidewall is about 4 inches if something compressed a tire with 35 psi a full 4 inches + you would have had to replace the tire right away because it would have been damaged as well. Maybe it was the shop trying to remove the tire, man if there is no evidence of impact damage (external) I would look into a little more.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:50 AM
InternetABYSS

sorry man that sucks the big one...all this cash you spent and not mods no stereo upgrade.....CRAP

good luck
Old 12-15-2002, 08:27 AM
infinite z

Originally posted by agustuss
Call your Nissan Rep. SERIOUSLY
That crack looks like it started as an inward push from the inside of the wheel out, then crept from there.
If your dealer isn't willing to go the extra mile for you... do it yourself by calling the number in the warranty book.
In my opinion that rim is the materials defect poster child.
Let's all just think about what it would be like if we had that rim. Merging onto the highway in front of a semi with the power down when the rim explodes... semi candy is what the obituary would read.

That rim's gonna be a little bird in my ear every time I get crazy with the power.

The most scary thing is, that rim was GOING TO fail at some point in the near future. No questions asked.

Call the Rep.
So do you not think I could have done that by hitting something really freaking hard? There's a definite impact point on the inside in the center of the wheel. But I still have a hard time believing that metal should crack like that. I'm definitely going to insist that Nissan gets this rim shipped to them to inspect.

It is also interesting to note that this wheel is on backorder with no ETA. This means not a single dealership in the nation has any in stock, and none are available to order. My dealership parts manager said that means it could be months before they are available again. How rediculous is that? Could it mean that Nissan knows something is wrong with the wheel and stopped making it? Or did they just screw up and not make enough of them for sale?

Lucky for me, Droidekaus hooked me up with a wheel that he bent a few months ago and already replaced. It's getting fixed right now. Otherwise I would be SOL for months!
Old 12-15-2002, 10:17 AM
importriders

Originally posted by agustuss
Call your Nissan Rep. SERIOUSLY
That crack looks like it started as an inward push from the inside of the wheel out, then crept from there.
If your dealer isn't willing to go the extra mile for you... do it yourself by calling the number in the warranty book.
In my opinion that rim is the materials defect poster child.
Let's all just think about what it would be like if we had that rim. Merging onto the highway in front of a semi with the power down when the rim explodes... semi candy is what the obituary would read.

That rim's gonna be a little bird in my ear every time I get crazy with the power.

The most scary thing is, that rim was GOING TO fail at some point in the near future. No questions asked.

Call the Rep.
I totally agree. Looks like a manufacturers defect. If you hit something that hard I would assume that the tire would be damaged as well. I bent two aftermarket rims and both times the tires were damaged.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:24 AM
infinite z

Well, I didn't give a really close inspection, but there was no obvious tire damage. I have no idea how long I had been driving on the crack either, but the tire never lost pressure.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:19 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to get ahold of a factory rep at Nissan USA. If you hit something hard enough to crack a rim you'd be in a morgue, a cast, or at least know what you hit. And I can't imagine a piece of road garbage being big enough to cause that damage....again without you being aware of it.

I'd call & with a rather shrill voice at that.
Old 12-16-2002, 05:09 PM
WayneTN

In the last large picture of the wheel (above) it looks like the interior edge of the wheel has been scuffed shiny. Is this from the tire changer machine prying on the tire and wheel edge? Maybe it put stress on the wheel while that the wheel also had a defect near the center. Stress concentrations can lead to the failure. However, I would think that you would have to put a fairly high force on the wheel. Maybe they pulled the tire off and dropped the wheel on something, accidentally. Who knows?

You might try taking it to a metallurgical engineer or other expert at a nearby university or a wheel shop to get a free opinion.

Whatever. Good luck in your resolution!
WayneTN
Old 12-16-2002, 05:58 PM
infinite z

Originally posted by WayneTN
In the last large picture of the wheel (above) it looks like the interior edge of the wheel has been scuffed shiny. Is this from the tire changer machine prying on the tire and wheel edge? Maybe it put stress on the wheel while that the wheel also had a defect near the center. Stress concentrations can lead to the failure. However, I would think that you would have to put a fairly high force on the wheel. Maybe they pulled the tire off and dropped the wheel on something, accidentally. Who knows?

You might try taking it to a metallurgical engineer or other expert at a nearby university or a wheel shop to get a free opinion.

Whatever. Good luck in your resolution!
WayneTN
Actually, I think what you're seeing is just the reflection from the lights in my parking garage. I didn't notice any damage that looks like it was put there by the guys changing the tires, and I never heard them drop anything metal-sounding. But I'm definitely going to have someone inspect this thing for defects. Thanks.