Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is that a projector behind your grill?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:15 AM
ind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is that a projector behind your grill?

Ok, so drive in movies are out. But what about if you could park and watch a movie anywhere you want? Has anyone thought about this kind of mod?

Projectors these days come pretty small, and pack quite a the number of lumens, so the idea isn't completely out of the question. With some minor modification, you could have a projector mounted behind the grill of your Z - drive within 15-20 feet of any flat surface and have your own drive in theater event.

However, you couldn't be too picky on the color of the back-drop.

Thoughts?

I can see a number of uses for this, specifically when you're with the lady.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:33 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

You could have a popcorn popper in the engine as well.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:38 AM
matt sherman

you're getting into the 'pimp my ride' realm now..

Matt
Old 08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Lerxst

Sorry... not feeling it... my car's for the thrill of driving... not a movie theatre... but that's just me.

I'd be a little concerned about having any obstructions in front of the rad for airflow too.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would imagine that the container to house a projector that would provide both the shock, impact and heat resistance would be costly and not small enough to fit in any open space behind the grill. It would be kinda neat though, I just envision going through a lot of projectors that way. They're small enough to keep in the glove box, you'd be just as well to keep it in there and pop it out on the roof when you're ready to use it.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 AM
ind

haha, yea maybe..

But seriously, with dvd players and lcds for cars - this isn't too far off base. Instead of your 7 inch LCD, you'd have 80-100 inch widescreen viewing. Although, it likely wouldn't be used enough to justify mounting it on your vehicle - I think it would still do a good job of impressing the lady your with.

Now if you had a voice activated OS installed, maybe that's starting to get a bit too much like Michael Knight.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we can fabricate the popcorn popper at the arm rest console and a cooler in the trunk.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What you really need is one of these:

Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Could you fit a popcorn maker in the back?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:47 AM
fisherprice

Originally Posted by matt sherman

Matt
+1
Old 08-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Fletch69z

You could probably mount it on the inside of the roof of your Z and project through the windshield, .
Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Originally Posted by matt sherman

Matt
+2

I actually remember that episode. LOL. When they fix-up "classics" they do a really good job like the Cadillacs, Novas, etc... Nothing all crazy. It's when they do all other cars they just come up with the wackiest ideas. If they do any import, I can almost guarantee it's going to be riced out.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:33 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you'd get pulled over so fast you wouldn't even have time to get past the opening credits in a movie.

original idea though

I think it'd be a danger to you and other drivers wondering what they're seeing
Old 08-26-2005, 01:34 PM
lane myers

i think its out of the question for a lot reasons, but just to list a few, in case you were to actually attemp this:

1. where would you plug it in? (yes i know this can be overcomed, but its an intail problem, power)

2. how would you control it - most projectors, at least, the inexpensive, small, boardroom projectors are controlled by an infared remote, not a rf remote, so you would actually have to stand infront of your car to change settings, or get down on the ground to manually change it.

3. weather. the container you make for it would have to be air tight, otherwise moisture would get in there and ruin it. what about freezing and heat, household electronics dont do well with those...

4. the obvious, where would you just "roll up" to and display a 100" picture, and have some privacy?

5. movement, ok its fragile, not very, i mean business folk lug them around everywhere, but in a protective case or bag... in the front of your car it will get some pretty good bumps. not even touching the possibilty of damaging the internals with the commute to the blank movie canvas, it could very easily become disaligned in transit... which would require you getting under the car and fixing it, whilest the date wait in the car.

impress the lady with a spirited drive to your house in the z - there you can impress her with the home theater - and there's more room in the house than your z for further impressing - if you follow.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:57 PM
The Mike

Pimp My Ride did do exactly this. They put it in a reversed hinge trunk of this crappy car for some chick. It actually came out alright. The trunk opens upwards and gives it room to project over the top of the car. Cool idea I suppose but it would never last with the stiff suspension of a Z unless maybe a convertible had a custom setup to absorb shock and also raise vertically from behind *trunk* or something.

It would be funny going on the interstate driving behind some big white 18 wheeler projecting a movie the whole way. lol... you'd have a caravan effect as others decided to slow to match speed and watch as well. Get a sticker tellin them to turn to whatever channel your ipod transmitter was broadcasting on and you really do have your own drive in
Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
What you really need is one of these:
CRAP! I fell for it! Please don't do that again.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lane myers
i think its out of the question for a lot reasons, but just to list a few, in case you were to actually attemp this:

1. where would you plug it in? (yes i know this can be overcomed, but its an intail problem, power)

2. how would you control it - most projectors, at least, the inexpensive, small, boardroom projectors are controlled by an infared remote, not a rf remote, so you would actually have to stand infront of your car to change settings, or get down on the ground to manually change it.

3. weather. the container you make for it would have to be air tight, otherwise moisture would get in there and ruin it. what about freezing and heat, household electronics dont do well with those...

4. the obvious, where would you just "roll up" to and display a 100" picture, and have some privacy?

5. movement, ok its fragile, not very, i mean business folk lug them around everywhere, but in a protective case or bag... in the front of your car it will get some pretty good bumps. not even touching the possibilty of damaging the internals with the commute to the blank movie canvas, it could very easily become disaligned in transit... which would require you getting under the car and fixing it, whilest the date wait in the car.

impress the lady with a spirited drive to your house in the z - there you can impress her with the home theater - and there's more room in the house than your z for further impressing - if you follow.
impress at the local meet. Let everyone enjoy the drive in movie? hehee
Old 08-27-2005, 02:14 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> What you really need is one of these:

Hey you said "one," and yet there was actually an infinite number of Hasselhoffs!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:41 AM
DWS44

Let's see...

Interstate driving at speed + one well placed rock kicked up toward front end = bye-bye high-dollar projector!

Old 08-27-2005, 06:54 AM
samw1978

why not just get a DVD player in the car and save you all the money+trouble

Quick Reply: Is that a projector behind your grill?