Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

pulled over for tint

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:49 AM
raptorbh12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled over for tint

I was on my way to work this morning and i noticed a cop was right behind me so i drove normally and for the most part cauciously while stopping my acceleration once i hit the speed limit whre i would set my cruise control and stay there until i would make turns. He follows me to the road where i work on and as the road merges to one lane he turns on his lights and im thinking "go ahead you have nothing on me, lets see what you have this time"
And he comes up to my window and says my tint is too dark. I have 20% tint in MD by the way. So he asks for liscense and registration and i couldnt find my registration and so he goes back to his car where he writes his ticket for a good 15 minutes. As he comes back up to my car i had found my registration and i showed him and he responds with "i cant unwrite the ticket so you will have to go to court for that". So now im obviously going to court to get rid of this bogus ticket and now i need advice for what i can do for my tint! I am not removing it only to pay 125 to put it back on. Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:52 AM
A_16

find a nice eye doctor who will hook you up with a note
Old 08-27-2005, 05:54 AM
rockinbboy

I had to get my tint removed when I moved to MD. ******** tooo cuz my tint was not dark at all (I don't know what my percentage was, it was never measured). The inspector said it was too relfective...which was bs too 'cause it was a sunny day and all the glass windows of other cars were reflective.

What the legal percentage in MD?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:59 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the tint restriction in MD? Up here it's 35% for the driver/passenger window. and 25% for the back.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:00 AM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A_16
find a nice eye doctor who will hook you up with a note
That would have helped BEFORE the ticket.

Anywho, if they wrote you up an inspection ticket youll need to have an Officer sign off for it. Just find a friend that's an officer and have him sign it for you.
If not, remove the tent have an Officer sign the ticket then put it back on.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:02 AM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by jeffie7
That would have helped BEFORE the ticket.

Anywho, if they wrote you up an inspection ticket youll need to have an Officer sign off for it. Just find a friend that's an officer and have him sign it for you.
If not, remove the tent have an Officer sign the ticket then put it back on.

removing tint isn't the best thing to do. My car windows look like crap. My defroster lines were cut. My window has a purplish hue now.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:40 AM
raptorbh12

yea the legeal tint in MD is 35% and you can get any local inspection shop to sign off that the car was inspected. An officer dosnt need to do the inspection. I just need to find a place that will sign off for me even if i have to give them a "fee" for the service.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on getting my side windows tinted one shade darker than what is legal in CA and the rear will be legal tint, although actually in CA any tint % is legal on the rear as long as you have 2 outside mirrors.

Anyway, if I ever get nailed for the side tint, I am thinking of hitting up a junk yard for some cheap Z side winows, put them in, get the ticket signed off, then pop the tinted windows back in and let the Junker windows collect dust in a corner of my apartment, until I get stopped for it again.

If you get stopped twice for the tint, it should be cheaper than ripping off the old tint and paying to have them re tinted each time.

On the other hand I might say F$#@ it and just get them re-tinted legal and be done with it:-P
Old 08-27-2005, 08:25 PM
hypeiv

did you get a ticket for not having your registration (fast enough) or for the tint?
Old 08-27-2005, 08:28 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinbboy
removing tint isn't the best thing to do. My car windows look like crap. My defroster lines were cut. My window has a purplish hue now.
It isnt the best thing to do but you asked how to fix this ticket.

Bottom line you broke the law and got a ticket for it.

Once again find a friend who knows a police officer that can sign the ticket off or just remove it. Once again it would be a ***** to remove it but I believe you have 10 days to do something about it before they pull your cars registration.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Mr_Q

Yea the Zs UV coated windows do a decent job of keeping the heat out of the car even in SOCAL. Tinting the windows is so frick'in 90s.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:06 AM
minimus

Yeh - I got pulled over in SoCal for a fix-it ticket for my tint 2 weeks ago. I have about a month left before it's due. Trying to figure out my options right now.

1. Optometrist note... not sure if this will work post fact.
2. Remove the tint =(
3. Find someone who knows a cop to sign it off for me.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:16 AM
r26

"Yea the Zs UV coated windows do a decent job of keeping the heat out of the car even in SOCAL. Tinting the windows is so frick'in 90s. "

the windows keep out uv, but not heat. a good film such as solar gard charcoal will block out 58% heat. How is tint so 90's when everybody's still tinting their windows? more like, putting dark or silver tint on is so 90's. one more thing, i would advice you to tint your windows before the sun starts beating on your panels and seats. i know a lot of bmw and mercedes owners who have faded interior in thier two or three year old vehicle because they were too cheap to pay $150 for tint. it's a shame, such expensive cars with ruined interiors.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Originally Posted by minimus
Yeh - I got pulled over in SoCal for a fix-it ticket for my tint 2 weeks ago. I have about a month left before it's due. Trying to figure out my options right now.

1. Optometrist note... not sure if this will work post fact.
2. Remove the tint =(
3. Find someone who knows a cop to sign it off for me.

#2 and #3 are normal. About #1, base on what ground? eye sensitive with the sun? hehe
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 AM
matt sherman

I got two tint tickets the first weekend igot the tint. But it is illegal - 15%.

I drive with my windows down during the day...haven't been hassled since.

Matt
Old 08-28-2005, 01:30 PM
TayTaythatsme04

lets see, I have removed mine 4 times for fix it tickets, do cops really have nothing better to do ? ? ?
Old 08-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Mr_Q

Originally Posted by r26
, i would advice you to tint your windows before the sun starts beating on your panels and seats. i know a lot of bmw and mercedes owners who have faded interior in thier two or three year old vehicle because they were too cheap to pay $150 for tint. it's a shame, such expensive cars with ruined interiors.
I use 303 spray on all my interior bits. I've used it on boats and cars for nearly 15 years and I don't have any fade or cracking.

I've always used it on my cars. Again, no fade, no cracking. You can find it at most boating supply stores. It gives a VERY subtle shine. No where near as intense as that Armorall BS. It's almosts a dull finish and no greasy film. Allows for 100% protection without having to tint.

As for heat and the Zs stock windows all I can say is windows down my arm is on fire. Windows up I feel almost no heat. Now maybe that's just the glass but isn't that the point to reduce heat? It works in it's stock setup good enough for me. And for protection the 303 is the best.

Just listing sensable alternatives to those that don't want to tint because of laws or because it makes the car look too...well...Miami.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:44 PM
TNguyen7

did you have your windows down? my previous car had 20% on it and the legal percentage is 35%. cops roll up beside me at stoplights and i just have my windows down and the cop just goes right along no problems at all. or maybe cops here are too lazy.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:27 PM
ZlleH

Wow, this is the first time I have seen someone think tint is out of style. I doubt tint will ever be out of style. I can see the colour and frost tint being out of style but not a regular dark tint.

And what's this about tint being "Miami"? I've never even heard of tint being associated with "Miami". Wierd.

Originally Posted by Mr_Q
Just listing sensable alternatives to those that don't want to tint because of laws or because it makes the car look too...well...Miami.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:28 PM
DougJones

I got pulled over outside of Charlotte, NC about a month ago... $250 ticket! Well, I went to court and had it reduced by the officer to $75. Paid it and hauled @ss.

The problem is that the Z is such a small car and very little light makes it inside. Therefore, the tint appears much darker than it really is.

Quick Reply: pulled over for tint