Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

lightweight Z? how much can you reduce?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd day driving without the spare tire and tools (1/4 tank). I notice when I make a U-turn at a moderate speed, I chirp the tires. It never chirped before when doing a U-turn at the same speed.

Wierd what a difference a 40 pound reduction can do.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sentry65
headers -15
hf cats -20
Dude...wtf headers do you have that are 15lbs less than stock?! I weighed my stock headers and they were 15.4lbs total. The TopSpeeds coated were 13.4 for a savings of 2 lbs. I did measure a savings of 14.4lbs between the Kinetix and stock quad cats though...
Old 08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is interesting,
my buddy and I were just discussing how heavy cars have become. The new Civic, he says, will weigh in around 2900 lbs. When the GTO came to the U.S, there was a comparo vs the original GTO (C&D, or maybe it was R&T) and the new GTO actually weighs more than the original. Crazy.
The Z is heavy for what it is, especially when you figure the Corvette is lighter with more power and discplacement. The bulk of the weight is in the chassis and motor. I know that seems obvious, but the Z has a dual monocoque set-up to help rigidity in light of it using a hatch, in addition to strengthening suspension mounting points to help wt transfer without deflection. This is of course made out of steel to keep cost down, and is therefore substantially more heavy than it would otherwise need to be if it weren't a hatch. The real culprit though is the dirty little secret behind the VQ: It's a porker of a motor. I know I'll get thrashed for saying this and there will be the naysayers, but the motor is HEAVY. Consider this: when the GT500 car switched to the VQ over the RB, they saved a whopping 30kg from the block. That's it. The RB is cast iron for crying out loud! This is straight from a Racecar Engineering article with their chief engineer. I can post the date and names, but I am not at home with the info. Because I'm not at home, I also don't have the exact figures with me, but I can tell you the VQ35 weighs only 40lbs less than the LS1, both weights taken sans flywheel accessories, and oil, with manifolds and TB. I have the actual figures on my computer at home, and if I recall, the LS1 only weighs in at around 405 lbs. That's a V8 to the V6. Consider also, Chris Forsberg's car, stripped with cage, is like 2600 lbs with a SR20DET, intercooler and such installed. The GA cup 350 Z's are down to around 2900 lbs if I recall. it is fair to say that at least 250 lbs of that was lost due to the motor, and transmission (also heavy, but beefy for abuse). I have weights on the SR20DET, with turbo, AC, flywheel, clutch, and tranny, that I have seen on a scale myself for shipping at home. In any case, the Z just has a stiff but heavy chassis set-up, along with a heavy but versatile engine. Combined, you have a flexible motor in a stellar chassis for sure, but with some heft to make it happen.
Will
Old 08-31-2005, 07:11 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
Dude...wtf headers do you have that are 15lbs less than stock?! I weighed my stock headers and they were 15.4lbs total. The TopSpeeds coated were 13.4 for a savings of 2 lbs. I did measure a savings of 14.4lbs between the Kinetix and stock quad cats though...

ah ok, I never weighed my crawford headers or the stock ones. I went off of what someone else said in a thread somewhere.

ok, well my car weighs around 3022 lbs then

Originally Posted by ZlleH
2nd day driving without the spare tire and tools (1/4 tank). I notice when I make a U-turn at a moderate speed, I chirp the tires. It never chirped before when doing a U-turn at the same speed.

Wierd what a difference a 40 pound reduction can do.
yeah cause you're losing weight off the rear tires. Some bigger tires help that from happening

Last edited by sentry65; 08-31-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 PM
rolling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Mike
Just go on a diet and call it a day

hehe thats a good one!

one of the last things people think of for loosing weight is THEMSELVES and Passengers LOL
Old 08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by rolling
hehe thats a good one!

one of the last things people think of for loosing weight is THEMSELVES and Passengers LOL

ahh yes, and you can help eliminating the passenger by removing the seat as well. lol
Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
ZlleH

When you mean bigger tires, you mean wider right? I have 18's now. When I get new rims, I was thinking of moving my rear 245 to the front and put 275 in the back. I'm debating if I should put 19" in the rear like the new '06 350Z model.

I heard going 285+ means you will have to shave the fenders. Is that what you had to do to put 285?

yeah cause you're losing weight off the rear tires. Some bigger tires help that from happening
Old 08-31-2005, 10:54 PM
gatti-man

ugh enough of the go on a diet thing. That has to be the most unintelligent thing to say. If your a 250lb porker your not going to really fit in the Z anyways. I bet most of us are pretty light. Look weight reduction is just like hp mods. It gets better piece by piece. You may not notice the difference at first but once you get into the -100lbs or more category you will greatly notice the difference in the suspension,cornering, and yes acceleration will improve also bc your towing less weight. Also wieght reduction in the front adds more rear weight bias improving rear grip. Its amazing to me how many people brush off weight reduction. More HP is just that where as weight reduction pays off across every aspect of the car. The key is getting light without stripping your car.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:56 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

>> If your a 250lb porker your not going to really fit in the Z anyways. I bet most of us are pretty light.

I'm 250 and the car is very roomy. Even my brother fits and he's almost 400.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:10 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Originally Posted by gatti-man
ugh enough of the go on a diet thing. That has to be the most unintelligent thing to say. If your a 250lb porker your not going to really fit in the Z anyways. I bet most of us are pretty light. Look weight reduction is just like hp mods. It gets better piece by piece. You may not notice the difference at first but once you get into the -100lbs or more category you will greatly notice the difference in the suspension,cornering, and yes acceleration will improve also bc your towing less weight. Also wieght reduction in the front adds more rear weight bias improving rear grip. Its amazing to me how many people brush off weight reduction. More HP is just that where as weight reduction pays off across every aspect of the car. The key is getting light without stripping your car.

Ahaha, im 270lbs and i fit with room to spare in my ZR. But then again no thinks i weigh 270 though....
Old 09-01-2005, 05:04 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ah ok, I never weighed my crawford headers or the stock ones. I went off of what someone else said in a thread somewhere.
Gotcha. Wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Anyone have that SportZ Exhaust Shootout? I'm wondering how much my Borla Catback weighs in comparison to stock...much thanks.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:02 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by The Mike
Just go on a diet and call it a day
Cannot afford to lose any more poundage, I am lightweight as is. May be thats more reason for me to not strip the Z to bare metal.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:19 AM
elms350Z

Originally Posted by gatti-man
ugh enough of the go on a diet thing. That has to be the most unintelligent thing to say. If your a 250lb porker your not going to really fit in the Z anyways.
Hehe kinda destroys your whole argument and opinion....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Fletch69z

Yeah, maybe some day (like 10 years down the road when my car is really old and high mileage I will strip out the interior and the AC and lose weight but the only way you're gonna lose weight big time is to spend a TON of money on something like the Amuse cf body panels.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:47 AM
gatti-man

I cant believe you guys can fit. Its not the interior that makes it not roomy its the seats. Im 6' 180lbs and i barely fit in my seat. Honestly i just dont see how that can be. Like my back /lower rib cage is definitly squeezed by the seats to where there is no room to move at all. Thats why i said that. To the point where ive been looking for new seats that actually allow my back to hit the back of the seat!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:33 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
Cannot afford to lose any more poundage, I am lightweight as is. May be thats more reason for me to not strip the Z to bare metal.
if you want to got extreme and bare bones you could do your Z like i sw a 05 vette in auto wreckin yard.. complete drivetrain assembled and ready to go!!
basicly engine, tranny, wheels, and frame and necissary electronics
you would have to attach a seat somehow.. BUT i bet its REALY light!!!!
(only $15000) heheeh