Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do all Z's suffer from uneven tire wear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 04:33 PM
-zip-

Thanks for the replies and pics it really helped

The tire rotation thread seems to be a good solution to prolong life of the tires.

I did read the sticky thread about the tire wear before I posted.

The battle that is going on between Nissan, the Z owners, seen the news clip about the class action lawsuit, and the extended warranty from Nissan.

So I doubt this would be classified as "normal" wear for a performance vehicle with all this action surrounding the topic.

There seems to be some hope that I can find one without this issue.
Old 09-07-2005 | 09:34 PM
wireben

A lot of Z's have the problem. I had the tire feathering problem in 2004 & then again in 2005. I finally replaced the tires before the extension of the recent warranty. I have took the car in 4 times for the hard, not slight, pull to the right hand side & still have the problem. I have had the rear hatch spring replaced because the original one was to weak to open the hatchback. The cheap plastic fuel door does not open and I find myself pushing the open button about 10 times before I get out to re-fuel. I have a terrible ticking noise in the rear right hand side of the car...Nissan has ordered parts over a month ago but they say it is a major recall & it will take about 3 more weeks to get the parts to repair. The Z IMO is a very low end, yet affordable, sports car. I like it, but when people on the road ask me about it, I do not praise it...

Attached Thumbnails Do all Z's suffer from uneven tire wear?-wheel2.jpg   Do all Z's suffer from uneven tire wear?-wheel1.jpg  

Last edited by wireben; 09-07-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2005 | 02:19 AM
The Mike

Wireben. From your two pictures I definately see the cupping on the inside edge of your tires. But question .... The picture on the right looks normal but the picture on the left looks as if your tread pattern is reversed. To me it looks like your front bumper is *behind* me from the picture's standpoint and you're turning your steering wheel hard left to show the inside tread. Am I right about your treads being reversed like you remounted that tire in the reverse direction? Water would be channeled to the middle of the tire.
Old 09-08-2005 | 03:04 AM
jsukim21

My 2004 350z Touring did suffer from feathering, however my dealership got me new tires the moment I started experiencing the problem and I had no more problems with it. Since that time I have purchased a 2005 350z Roadster I have not experienced any problems with the tires at this time.
Old 09-08-2005 | 05:02 AM
Kevin3

I'd hold out for an '06 and hope things are better. If you are not able to afford it right now, get another car or save up some more money first.

Finding an '03/'04 with no tire problems at all is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Old 09-08-2005 | 11:48 AM
Resolute

I know of the people that I have met in Colorado, it seems about 50/50 on the tire feathering. I have an 03 base with no problems whatsoever.
Will
Old 09-08-2005 | 02:04 PM
johnnyzcar

Talking

Hello Fellow Z owners,
I have had my 03 Track since last August. I purchased it used with only 40 miles on it. The owner never tagged it. He was very particular with his cars. My Z now has about 3500 miles on it. I was aware of the feathering problem before I purchased the car and my 1990 NA coupe suffered the same problem. I have an alignment guy who is old school but very good and we worked together to resolve my 90 NA alignment issue. I shimmed the upper A arms to change the camber and now tire wear is near perfect. It's now time for a first oil change on my 03 so I called a Nissan dealer nearby and asked about scheduling an appointment for alignment and was told that if the tires dont growl or roar that I'm not eligible for any service. I told them that I would like to prevent any wear problems in the future but as expected they said not to bring it in. I guess wait till the tires wear and then try to fix the problem. This makes no sense to me but maybe not all Zs suffer from this problem. Also does the warranty period end in October or is it 36 months extra? I was curious because the wording in the letter makes it sound as if they are cutting off in October.
Old 09-08-2005 | 04:22 PM
Rampage

If you have inside wear and some roaring and you rotate the tires as instructed in the post will it improve the problem? I mean will the noise be reduced because the tire is now running on an unworn area? Or is the only fix a set of new tires once you have started getting the roaring?