Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Octane gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 01:04 PM
MyNismoRoadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofast2pass
So what are you guys opinon on Octane boosters? Not for everyday use but once in a while, like for going to the track?

OCT boosters is just gimmick, it doesnt do s**t, for example, you start out with 91OCT gas right? You buy brand X oct booster that says increses 8-10 points, well what they want you to think is yer getting 8-10 oct increase which is bull it turns 91OCT gas to 91.08 ot 91.10 and NOT 99 or 101OCT gas like you would like to think.

They want you to think it does something but in reality it wont do you any good and its a waste of money, there is no "one little 8-12oz bottle of magic" that will increse your oct signifcantly or give you yer car super powers.

If you want something for track use race fuel (unleaded) unless you want to kill yer o2 sensors and cat. I like 76's 100oct at the pump we have here, but honestly on a pretty much stock NA vehicles, there isnt a HUGE benefit in using race fuel really, just mix maybe 50:50 pump 91 and 100oct at best, the only cars that really benefit from race fuel really is forced induction cars.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Fletch69z

Premium always. It's only a 20 cent difference between regular and premium.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:20 PM
doc10374

Same here....I drive the Z about 2,000 miles a month. However, I'm moving to Tx and will average 500 miles a month. She will have a chance to catch up.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:02 PM
hypeiv

FYI if you are concerned with performance use premium... while the Z will run on the regular there are serveral people on this forum who have proven that it will make your car slower. I am willing to bet a full tank of gas that you get better mileage on 93 octane than you do 87 (enough to more than make up the difference in price)
Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNismoRoadster
OCT boosters is just gimmick, it doesnt do s**t, for example, you start out with 91OCT gas right? You buy brand X oct booster that says increses 8-10 points, well what they want you to think is yer getting 8-10 oct increase which is bull it turns 91OCT gas to 91.08 ot 91.10 and NOT 99 or 101OCT gas like you would like to think.

They want you to think it does something but in reality it wont do you any good and its a waste of money, there is no "one little 8-12oz bottle of magic" that will increse your oct signifcantly or give you yer car super powers.

If you want something for track use race fuel (unleaded) unless you want to kill yer o2 sensors and cat. I like 76's 100oct at the pump we have here, but honestly on a pretty much stock NA vehicles, there isnt a HUGE benefit in using race fuel really, just mix maybe 50:50 pump 91 and 100oct at best, the only cars that really benefit from race fuel really is forced induction cars.
Well, it's not as bad as you suggest. But you'r right it doesn't ADD points to the octane rating.

If we read the labels on these bottle, the biggest increase in octane comes from adding the stuff to regular unleaded. The compounds used in the booster are already present in premium grade fuel. Since there is a limit in gain (adding more no longer helps) it has limited efficiency.

I`d cary these bottle if I had to travel to a place where only regular is available.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by hypeiv
FYI if you are concerned with performance use premium... while the Z will run on the regular there are serveral people on this forum who have proven that it will make your car slower. I am willing to bet a full tank of gas that you get better mileage on 93 octane than you do 87 (enough to more than make up the difference in price)
Yep, and just to make sure people understand why (energetic content is virtualy identical between regular and premium). it`s the engine that detunes it self. Retarding ignition. There is a risk of incomplete combustion wish is not very good to the CATs.

More so, the ignition retard is applied AFTER the ECU as detected knocking (you cannot hear mild knocking, but it'S there). This means your engine running on regular is detonating... Mmmh, not very god on the long term...
Old 09-05-2005, 09:27 PM
kempilot

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline
Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner's manual.

The only time you might need to switch to a higher octane level is if your car engine knocks when you use the recommended fuel. This happens to a small percentage of cars.

Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money, too. Premium gas costs 15 to 20 cents per gallon more than regular. That can add up to $100 or more a year in extra costs. Studies indicate that altogether, drivers may be spending hundreds of millions of dollars each year for higher octane gas than they need.

What are octane ratings?
Octane ratings measure a gasoline's ability to resist engine knock, a rattling or pinging sound that results from premature ignition of the compressed fuel-air mixture in one or more cylinders. Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 92 or 93). The ratings must be posted on bright yellow stickers on each gasoline pump.

What's the right octane level for your car?
Check your owner's manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.

How can you tell if you're using the right octane level? Listen to your car's engine. If it doesn't knock when you use the recommended octane, you're using the right grade of gasoline.

Will higher octane gasoline clean your engine better?
As a rule, high octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning your car's engine. In fact, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires that all octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against the build-up of harmful levels of engine deposits during the expected life of your car.

Should you ever switch to a higher octane gasoline?
A few car engines may knock or ping - even if you use the recommended octane. If this happens, try switching to the next highest octane grade. In many cases, switching to the mid-grade or premium-grade gasoline will eliminate the knock. If the knocking or pinging continues after one or two fill-ups, you may need a tune-up or some other repair. After that work is done, go back to the lowest octane grade at which your engine runs without knocking.

Is knocking harmful?
Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm your engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. But don't ignore severe knocking. A heavy or persistent knock can lead to engine damage.

Is all "premium" or "regular" gasoline the same?
The octane rating of gasoline marked "premium" or "regular" is not consistent across the country. One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you're buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the name "premium" or "regular."

SOURCE: Federal Trade Commission .
just some info , it's not gospel I use 93 octane only
Old 09-06-2005, 03:50 AM
Kolia

When was that written ? '70 ?

It's pretty much common sense. I like that section best:

Originally Posted by kempilot
What's the right octane level for your car?
Check your owner's manual to determine the right octane level for your car. Regular octane is recommended for most cars. However, some cars with high compression engines, like sports cars and certain luxury cars, need mid-grade or premium gasoline to prevent knock.
That would mean Premium right ?

That next one, I'm not to sure of...

Originally Posted by kempilot
How can you tell if you're using the right octane level? Listen to your car's engine. If it doesn't knock when you use the recommended octane, you're using the right grade of gasoline.

Mild knocking cannot be heard by the human ear. Yet it could be there and be slowly chipping away at your cylinder lining and piston. The knock sensor will detect it and adjust timing accordingly. That means that SOME detonation has occured... Put that over 10k miles or more and the engine will suffer.
Have a look at your spark plugs. If it has tiny black points on it, well these are metal droplets deposited when detonation shears bits of you engine away.

Overall, to each is own. I buy my cars new so I don't have to worry about previous owners bad engine treatment...
Old 09-06-2005, 12:50 PM
kempilot

It seems that it was written pretty recently with all the hype about the price of gas . I found it pretty amusing . I was just browsing and stumbled up on it . You would be suprised how in general info is written or explained in such a way , that you cannot help but think that these people that write these articles think that we are all dumb . Try walking into an electronics store and ask for info about a product in the store , or better yet go to the dealership!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:01 PM
OutsiderZ5

Good info Kem. . . . . So much hype about gas prices and what to use! I worked at the DOE (Dept. of Energy) for a year and I still speak and chill with those whom work directly with Oil and Gas 8 hours a day, 5 days a week! Before getting my Z and recently, I spoke with the Energy Information Administration (one person) about gas and the effects with ones car. . . . . . just to make this short and simple: Wrong oil, car is f^#$ after multiple uses. Lower gas grade, decrease in performance and will not hurt your car. . . . . only decrease in performance.
For those whom believe otherwise, FYI check out the home page http://eia.doe.gov/ or even give them a call @ 202-586-8800 and they will be more than happy to explain everything to you! They can tell you almost anything when it comes to gas!
Oh and my girls car, whom says it needs the same gas as my Z (don't know why), has been running regular for a year now, been checked up on, and is still running fine with no problems.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
dnguyent

I just posted on a similar topic (regarding octane requirements) that might be of interest to the folks who are following this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/55640-gasoline-octane.html
Old 01-05-2006, 01:31 PM
UBERMENSCH
Banned

Originally Posted by Chad68
Does the owners manual call for?

I know most will say to use premium but what does the owners manual say?
It is always good to follow the owners manual. But in reality it doesnt' matter what octane. They are technically all the same, no gas is better than an other. I know you are going to say but hey when I stopped putting premium in and used the regular 87 octane you started to notice knocking. When your engine gets used to the 87 it will stop knocking. I know, I always used the cheap gas in my other cars and in my nissan I would use premium ONLY! But when gas prices went crazy I started to use 87 octane, it knocked off and on for a little while during hard accelerations but it has stopped. Then I saw a stroy on the news about gas grades and that there is no difference. So do what you want to do. My .02
Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
imseksy

Originally Posted by vegaspimp
I use 85 octane, no problems here!
85 octane? man i thought the lowest possible gas sold in the US is 87. are u getting ur gas from mexico? you must experience SUPER KNOCK!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:51 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by imseksy
85 octane? man i thought the lowest possible gas sold in the US is 87. are u getting ur gas from mexico? you must experience SUPER KNOCK!!!
I purchased 85 octane in Colorado before. It was for a rental (Maxima), and that was the day I discovered what knocking sounded like. I think 85 octane is equivalent to tequila.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:04 PM
buho62

Originally Posted by topdown-Z
Yea, I guess it's a pretty good deal to save about .10 a gallon.......NOT

Maybe you can supplement the fuel with a little water...just don't take it off of idle very often. Heck, if most of your driving if downhill, why not just quit buying gas all together. That way you can just buy gas when you need it for special occasions.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
buho62

using 87 OCT is like not taking a hot chick home because you don't wanna spend 5 bucks on condoms.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
the7ferret

Originally Posted by MyNismoRoadster

+1

I had a 5 gal barrel of VP racing 109 unleaded that my g/f dad gave to me. I put it in when I was empty and then drove around a little before going to fill up. The difference between pure 109 and the mixture was not noticable but I did notice a difference between 91 and the mix. Ran a lot smoother, better responce...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:33 PM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

using 87 OCT is like not taking a hot chick home because you don't wanna spend 5 bucks on condoms.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:37 PM
steela2110

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at least 91
Old 01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by dnguyent
I purchased 85 octane in Colorado before. It was for a rental (Maxima), and that was the day I discovered what knocking sounded like. I think 85 octane is equivalent to tequila.

are you sure the knocking was caused by the 85 octaine?....
i once filled up my old firebird 400 (4 speed hurst) at an independent gas station by the interstate in Colorado and the car almost stalled on me as i accelerate on the freeway. Gas station in Colorado mixed water in their gasoline....LOL

Quick Reply: What Octane gas