Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test Drove 05 Z, felt really slow.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Hypnoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Clapton9286
And if you see more 350z's than Evos, you must be out of your mind. I see, roughly, 5 Evo's today. I average 1 or 2 Z's a day, and one of those is the one in my garage.
Um, well considering there are 100,000 350Z's in the U.S. and only about 10,000 evo's total in the U.S. (probably less actually).

Not sure how you managed to see 5 today unless there was a meet nearby where you were. I see probably only 1 a month. I see 2-5 Z's a day here in scottsdale.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 AM
potator

I agree with the majority of the posters here. You seem to have claimed to just start this thread to gather others opinions on the subject matter and what not, but all it seems you are doing is just sparking arguments. If you've driven the car and felt it was slow, then make a decision. Was it slow but did you like the car's other aspects enough to buy it? Is it just too slow for your tastes? It's not hard to decide once you've driven your choices. If for 5 pages on, with numerous other user's opinions given already, and you still haven't come to the conclusion whether you would like to purchase a Z or not, I think it is time to call it a day. No offense to you, but I'm not even a Z owner yet, and can still see what the other members are trying to say. Any moderators out there? I think it would be a good time to close the thread. Hope you understand, and best of luck with your future car purchase, whichever and whenever that may be.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by Darthvol
I suppose I'm proud there haven't been more flames; when you come on a forum dedicated to ANY particular car and then put it down, it tends to require donning flame retardant clothing on the part of the poster.

Hypnoz, the bottom line is indeed what you're comparing it to; from a previous post, I'll assume the GTO. From what you've written above, you seem to be looking for a car that you think "looks" as cool as the Z w/the 400hp V8 'Vette-engined power of the GTO, for the same price. Unless you have an unusual definition of "beautiful," you aren't gonna find a car for 25-35K with both.

You've posted about the STi before. It's faster, stock, than the Z, but IMHO, it and it's Mitsu cousin, the EVO (also lightning fast) are both fugly, as is the GTO (they don't call it the goat for nuthin').

Other cars with the horses you want, together with the cool looks factor, are gonna be way too expensive, e.g., a 911 Turbo, Lambo, Ferrari, or SLK 55AMG.

What it sounds like what you "want" is a C6 'Vette, which can be had, stripped all the way down to base (you'd prob. have to special order), for about 45K. Even if that means you can't afford a new car until next year, I'd advise saving up and waiting.
+1
Old 09-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Hypnoz

potator- You're right except people started arguing with me rather than the other way. I will do another test drive to make a final decision.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Clapton9286

I don't care what the stats are, I only see 1-2 Z's a day, and I see at least 5 Evo's a day. Thats the bottom line...Around here, a 350Z is rarer than a Corvette. I see more Sti's than any of them.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:51 PM
MyZ4U2C

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Back to the original topic, the car "feels" slow because of how linear the power band is....broad torque curve, drive by wire throttle and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the fact that the car does not "rock" back when you change the gears throwing you back in your seat. There is absolutely NO cradle rock in this car. That my friends is the single most deceptive factor of all.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I test drove the Z, Vette, & Cobra.........over and over and over again.....over a 6 month period.

Ya really must get to learn each car's personality if you are going to be happy once you buy it.

For me, I decided that the faster cars were not what I wanted.

I settled on the Z because it had a good balance of performance, features, styling, and price.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 AM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by Hypnoz
You'd rather try something unique? Like buying the best selling sports car, which has sold over 100,000 units in the US alone
Are you talking about the Z being the "best selling sports car"? If so, I'm not sure how this myth is perpuated. The Mustang is the best selling sports car in the US. The Z isn't even close.

For 04, 30,690 350Zs were sold in the US vs. 129,858 Mustangs. For 05 YTD, it's 19,362 350Zs vs. 117,509 Mustangs.

See:
http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...04102108.shtml
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/relea...?release=19754
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/141856.html
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/141873.html

Back to your original post, I agree w/you in the crappy interior quality. It's put together reasonably well, but the materials are cheap (way worse in quality than in my Maxima).

About it not feeling fast, I think it's a combination of the linear throttle and high engine noise and vibration. My Maxima has the same engine (but rated only at 255 hp) and it sometimes "feels" faster because I hear and feel the engine a LOT less. Its throttle also seems less linear. So, it feels like the Z's engine is working a lot harder. But, I've drag raced both (the Max many times) at a track w/real timing equipment and the Z is easily 0.4+ sec faster in the 1/4 mile and has a higher trap speed.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:09 AM
spf4000

Mustang is a sports car? :P
Old 09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
Hypnoz

Mustang is not a sports car It's either
A. A wannabe muscle car (when people buy the V6)
or
B. Muscle Car (V8)
Old 09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Silver350ZAZ

Default Huh?

So i decide to test drive an 05 Z just to see what they're all about, as i am in the market for a new car.

It handled well, ride wasn't bad at all, steering was great, and the styling is good, however this car just doesn't feel fast! It definitely didn't feel like it had 240whp.

I never got that feeling of being pinned in my seat.... not even close. What's the deal? I don't think i could own a car that didnt at least FEEL fast, especially a 'sports' car! And also the interior material quality is very poor.

Other than those 2 gripes, everything else is good. I was just surprised how slow it felt compared to some other cars.
It isn't slow, it just felt that way, exactly as you described it. It doesn't have 240 hp.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Cabriniman

I had a similar experience when I test drove one (I am unfortunately not an owner yet). I drive a Spec-V now and feel like it has more seat-of-my-pants acceleration than the Z I drove. I know that my car doesn't have even close the 0-60 times to that of the Z so I attribute this to the way the car drives.

I know that the Z is faster but it really was weird that it felt slower. I was actually disappointed a little.

With that said I still want one desperately.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Fletch69z

I still don't understand the idea behind this post. I know that you said it felt slow, so make a decision and either get an EVO or if you really like the Z get it. I don't think you got attacked any worse than you should expect when you come on and tell a forum full of car owners that their car "felt slow" to you. Don't tell us, we like the car. We are going to tell you it's fast. If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. There really isn't a discussion to be had because it's an opinion.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 PM
cwerdna

Originally Posted by Silver350ZAZ
It isn't slow, it just felt that way, exactly as you described it. It doesn't have 240 hp.
I think the reason why he said whp is for WHEEL horsepower. I haven't checked around here for dyno slips, but a manual Z should put about 249-261 at the wheels, assuming 13% driveline loss which seems around right for a manual.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Hypnoz

Originally Posted by cwerdna
I think the reason why he said whp is for WHEEL horsepower. I haven't checked around here for dyno slips, but a manual Z should put about 249-261 at the wheels, assuming 13% driveline loss which seems around right for a manual.

Correct. Most 350z's dyno 230-250ish i believe.

Also an update:

A different dealership near me has a used 04, 6 speed. I am not sure which model it is but it didn't have cruise control, and it didnt have the metal pedals. The salesman thought it was an enthusiast but he wasnt sure.

Anyways, i test drove it to see what a broken in one feels like. This time around it didn't feel too bad at all power-wise. I think it is perfectly fine for normal driving, however i think i'd sacrifice the extra handling for the more powerful (and modable) GTO. Styling-wise, i enjoy both but think the Z is a tad better (though i do value the sleeper GTO look, just pretty bland). I also spend some time "feeling" the interior materials, and they still draw the same conclusions in my mind that i previously stated. The seat cloth material felt weak as hell... almost like cloth made from paper lol.

The "coin tray" barely even worked, it was so loosely put together that it moves every time you open it (the whole insert). The cup holder thing doesn't open by itself, it simply unlatches itself and then you have to pull it up...lame. I discovered the pop-out cup holder, that is a nice touch, as is the compartments behind the seats. Seems like you might be able to fit a DVD player in there to add to a NAVI system. The salesman said the other outline (lower, behind each seat) were larger storage compartments. I didnt see how they open, are they truly places to put things or was he just ********ting?

I noticed the Z has good torque in nearly all of its RPM range. I threw it in a gear over what it should be and it still felt good accelerating at low RPM's. Didn't get any chance to have fun with its handling. Braking felt really strong, i wasnt used to how touchy it is.... steering was superb too.

What are the stock tires? I looked and they seem to not look that performance-oriented (more like all-season).

Anyways, i've decided on the GTO because i value more power-biased vehicles than balanced, or handling-biased ones. There aren't any twisties around here anyways (Phoenix). However, if i cant find a used 05 goat, then i'll go with a new 06 enthusiast Z, white. I will be happy either way.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:00 AM
cwerdna

I discovered the pop-out cup holder, that is a nice touch, as is the compartments behind the seats. Seems like you might be able to fit a DVD player in there to add to a NAVI system. The salesman said the other outline (lower, behind each seat) were larger storage compartments. I didnt see how they open, are they truly places to put things or was he just ********ting?
If you have the nav system, one of the two CD compartments is occupied. As for larger storage compartments, there's a very large glove box behind the passenger's seat. There's an equivalent space behind the driver's seat that's empty unless you have the Bose stereo cuz that's where the Bose sub goes. However, stock, there's no door and latch for the empty hole.

I've removed the panel (you can push/pull it off) and it's empty. Some here have bought the glovebox hardware and turned it into a 2nd glovebox. Maybe someday I'll do that if I can get the parts from a junkyard cheap.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 AM
jrod1014

Correct. Most 350z's dyno 230-250ish i believe.

Also an update:

A different dealership near me has a used 04, 6 speed. I am not sure which model it is but it didn't have cruise control, and it didnt have the metal pedals. The salesman thought it was an enthusiast but he wasnt sure.

Anyways, i test drove it to see what a broken in one feels like. This time around it didn't feel too bad at all power-wise. I think it is perfectly fine for normal driving, however i think i'd sacrifice the extra handling for the more powerful (and modable) GTO. Styling-wise, i enjoy both but think the Z is a tad better (though i do value the sleeper GTO look, just pretty bland). I also spend some time "feeling" the interior materials, and they still draw the same conclusions in my mind that i previously stated. The seat cloth material felt weak as hell... almost like cloth made from paper lol.

The "coin tray" barely even worked, it was so loosely put together that it moves every time you open it (the whole insert). The cup holder thing doesn't open by itself, it simply unlatches itself and then you have to pull it up...lame. I discovered the pop-out cup holder, that is a nice touch, as is the compartments behind the seats. Seems like you might be able to fit a DVD player in there to add to a NAVI system. The salesman said the other outline (lower, behind each seat) were larger storage compartments. I didnt see how they open, are they truly places to put things or was he just ********ting?

I noticed the Z has good torque in nearly all of its RPM range. I threw it in a gear over what it should be and it still felt good accelerating at low RPM's. Didn't get any chance to have fun with its handling. Braking felt really strong, i wasnt used to how touchy it is.... steering was superb too.

What are the stock tires? I looked and they seem to not look that performance-oriented (more like all-season).

Anyways, i've decided on the GTO because i value more power-biased vehicles than balanced, or handling-biased ones. There aren't any twisties around here anyways (Phoenix). However, if i cant find a used 05 goat, then i'll go with a new 06 enthusiast Z, white. I will be happy either way.

just do yourself a favor and don't buy a Z... stick with your neon or GTO when you get it...
Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Clapton9286

Potenza's are summer performance tires...if they were Potenza's, then you are wrong...if they aren't (even though I do not like potenza's...) then most likely they were replaced by the previous owner. Buying a cert. pre-owned is where its at...I love mine.

But like the poster said before me, if you don't like, don't get one. It's your cash.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cup holder thing doesn't open by itself, it simply unlatches itself and then you have to pull it up...lame.
Last time I checked, I didnt think cars came with automatically opening cup holders. I've never heard of a door opening on its own. Why dont you go buy a used LS1 f-body? Plenty of power, and guess what...the cupholders are uncovered

And good luck finding a used 05 gto. Most owners were snatching them up due to the bump in hp and the better styling. You could get a pretty good deal on used 04 though.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Hypnoz

Don't think you understand- The cup holder between you and the passenger seat. The center console opens on its own after you press the button, but after you press the cup holder button it just unlatches and sits there. I'm thinking it's because this one i test drove was used, but which is also my point: there are already things in the interior not working or broken with an 2004 model. It's really not a big deal though, just an observation. Definitely wouldnt stop me from buying a Z.

Quick Reply: Test Drove 05 Z, felt really slow.