2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Car broken into - Z flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 PM
nomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car broken into - Z flaw?

My car was broken into today .

They didn't even have to break the window - they just jammed something under the locking mechanism to force the windows to roll down. Now they won't roll back up.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:41 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Crazy, did they take anything?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:41 PM
rs350z

Old 09-14-2005, 06:54 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any car can be broken into. My friends car was broken into and she never knew it until she saw a little hole the size of a big pin underneath her keyhole.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:14 PM
lilaznxboi08

HOLY... so did they take anything important?? and if they broke in opening the doors that would set the alarm off.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
lane myers

locks are on cars for two reasons:

1. to give you the illusion of safety.
2. to keep you out.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
garredw

Locks are only designed to keep honest people honest.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:51 PM
OrbitalPerform

I think the hope is that people will noticed someone doing odd things to someones door and report it. But again, this is a hope.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
nomas

I lost my bluetooth headset. I normally take it out, but I forgot to do so. I don't think they opened the doors though - just rolled the window down somehow and reached in.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:59 PM
nomas

They also hit another 350z and a G35 in the same lot, in the same manner. No other makes were touched AFAIK.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:07 PM
redclaw

i bet you anything its the keyfob. That would make no marks and the windows would roll down.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by nomas
I lost my bluetooth headset. I normally take it out, but I forgot to do so. I don't think they opened the doors though - just rolled the window down somehow and reached in.
I'll bet $1 they reached for the power window regulator through the door handle and just forced it down, taking the window with it down the rail. Easy to do. He probably was familiar with where the rail is located behind the door panel, or may be he "felt around" until he found it.

That also explains why your window isn't rolling up now. Forcing it down like that likely broke the steel cable on the regulator. You'll need a new reg. Not all that expensive, but I hope your handle seal can be returned to OEM condition to keep moisture from accumulating inside the door when it rains. Sucks, though.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:51 AM
VandyZ

The locks on the car are not that great. I have seen on 2 different occasions locksmiths pick the lock in under 15 seconds. Also if you want to get the windows down all you need is a screw driver, its a flaw with all nissans that have the window switch in the door lock.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:50 AM
nomas

Originally Posted by VandyZ
The locks on the car are not that great. I have seen on 2 different occasions locksmiths pick the lock in under 15 seconds. Also if you want to get the windows down all you need is a screw driver, its a flaw with all nissans that have the window switch in the door lock.
The screwdriver option you listed is very likely what they did, based upon the visual evidence. Maybe I could get custom doors with no handles. Another 350z owner I know has had this exact thing happen to him 3x already.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to admit it, but i locked myself out of my car yesterday morning. A phone call to roadside service, and a wrecker service was opening my car 40 minutes later.

Absolutely no damage done to the car, and I was in within a matter of moments. He didn't even reach inside the door panel. *sigh* Extremely discouraging since nothing set ANY type of alarm off.

I'm now on the hunt for an annoying alarm system that may or may not attract some honest person's attention should anyone attempt to enter my Z.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:12 AM
Fletch69z

I haven't had any problems yet, but here in IN it's not a big problem. All I have in mine is my radar detector any ways, but I still don't want it stolen.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:27 AM
mickey99us

i dint need to read this
Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by mickey99us
i dint need to read this
+1

I've got over 7k in audio/video upgrades! Granted my car is usually garaged even at work (valet) but I do drive it on the weekends when it's not nearly as protected.

Think I'm going for an aftermarket alarm now (probably should have by now).

Is it possible to just remove/shave the key hole? You know, make it the same as the passenger side?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:12 AM
MustGoFastR

Originally Posted by bixby

Is it possible to just remove/shave the key hole? You know, make it the same as the passenger side?
This is more difficult on the Z, but possible. Many FX owners are doing this simply by replacing the trim piece with the key hole with the one from the rear door. On the Z, I don't know what separate peces can be ordered or if you'd have to have the entire exterior door handle assembly, but you'd just need the JDM left side piece. I would assume it doesn't have the keyhole like our passenger side, since it is RHD. Might be something to check into, anyway. Just make sure you don't lose your fob and hide an extra battery somewhere...
Old 09-15-2005, 09:35 AM
nomas

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
This is more difficult on the Z, but possible. Many FX owners are doing this simply by replacing the trim piece with the key hole with the one from the rear door. On the Z, I don't know what separate peces can be ordered or if you'd have to have the entire exterior door handle assembly, but you'd just need the JDM left side piece. I would assume it doesn't have the keyhole like our passenger side, since it is RHD. Might be something to check into, anyway. Just make sure you don't lose your fob and hide an extra battery somewhere...
They didn't even need to use the keyhole. They just stuck a screwdriver at the point where the door body meets the latch housing - i.e. the gap where the metal stops and the plastic starts.

Quick Reply: Car broken into - Z flaw?